Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 11:25 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times

Advertisements

This one goes out to every realtor that told a client to shop me.

Interested to hear how "you get what you pay for" from Realtors, but at the same time, on the mortgage side, people should myopically focus on nothing but rate/fees.

Real estate sale inspires Highland Park grad to open Door, try flat-fee approach | Dallas Morning News

Redefy Real Estate Expands National Presence into Oregon | OregonLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 11:48 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
The Dallas Morning News is not displaying the content without registering for a digital subscription for a fee.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
The Dallas Morning News is not displaying the content without registering for a digital subscription for a fee.
I can read the article.

Says the kid is charging a $5k flat fee per transaction as a realtor, but buyer agents are still getting their cut of the 6% commission when they bring a buyer to a Door-listed property.

Interesting concept, though I'd love to see flat-fee conveyancing like the UK has. Closing costs here are absurdly high, and there's no good reason for it. I'm glad to see this kid is trying to change the game and I wish him all the luck in the world.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 PM

280 posts, read 250,173 times
This is the start of a tend to see real estate fees drop finally. The key point in the article is that millennials are becoming the biggest buyers who are comfortable doing a large amount of the work.

When I bought my first place 6 years ago I didn't haggle on the brokers commissions. As I look to sell and buy a bigger place, I am not working with anyone who charging more than 1%.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:44 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
This one goes out to every realtor that told a client to shop me.

Interested to hear how "you get what you pay for" from Realtors, but at the same time, on the mortgage side, people should myopically focus on nothing but rate/fees.
You get what you pay for applies to many things like toasters and mattresses. In service industries sometimes cheap is bad and sometimes it is just fine. It just really depends on that person. Flat rate models have been around for decades and the biggest reason why they haven't stuck around for the long term is profit. They haven't been able to be profitable as a whole and make it through bad markets. They always bounce back in good markets, and then fail in the bad ones. I mean we had a 3% (1% listing, 2% to buyer agent) guy in my area that did great business during the boom. He went out of businesses within one year when the market shifted during the bust to longer days on the market, short sales, and foreclosures.

Flat rates can be a great option in hot markets. It can be a viable business model in the long term as long as that $5k gets paid whether the home sells or not. It isn't a viable business model if the owner is dropping the rate, but not the risk (of not getting paid).

Old 06-02-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
This is the start of a tend to see real estate fees drop finally. The key point in the article is that millennials are becoming the biggest buyers who are comfortable doing a large amount of the work.
No. It isn't. Real estate fees will drop when sellers are willing to pay for an agent's time regardless of whether or not the home sells or not. Consumers struggle with that concept though.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:04 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
No. It isn't. Real estate fees will drop when sellers are willing to pay for an agent's time regardless of whether or not the home sells or not. Consumers struggle with that concept though.
I think agents will be needed less and less as time goes by. There will always be the need for some but not nearly the amount there are now. Someone will eventually come up with a solution that works! This is at least a good try.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think agents will be needed less and less as time goes by. There will always be the need for some but not nearly the amount there are now. Someone will eventually come up with a solution that works! This is at least a good try.
There isn't demand for all the agents that we have right now. There already needs to be fewer agents.

I think more consumers will hire agents hourly. I've done hourly rates for a decade and this year, I have a bunch. All of them have been buyers buying a FSBO or a seller selling one. I have my first seller paying me from start to finish from home prep, to marketing to close, hourly. He will pay a few thousand, but otherwise the most anyone else has paid has been $950. I bill those monthly.

It's a culture thing. Consumers have grown up with the idea that you don't pay agents unless they perform even when it costs them more money, a lot more money. When consumers can shift their thinking to paying agents as they go along, you will see fees drop substantially.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:29 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
You get what you pay for....

Old 06-02-2016, 01:42 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You get what you pay for....
And I believe a realtor is a great resource. When I use/need one, I am always happy to pay the fee. In my next sale I will need one, but sometimes I do fine with a flat fee listing. There are some variables that factor in what is the best use of one's money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate