Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:02 AM

59 posts, read 76,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Don't forget the tax angle of selling your house within a year, particularly rules for capital gains.
Yup - can't see it being before a year either way but appreciate the heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 12:08 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,396,974 times
Quote:
Don't forget the tax angle of selling your house within a year, particularly rules for capital gains.
Haha! The thought of having any gains after selling a home within a year, factoring in closing costs on both sides, makes me laugh.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Haha! The thought of having any gains after selling a home within a year, factoring in closing costs on both sides, makes me laugh.
Lol this is very true. Easier to win the mega millions I would think haha

Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 AM

712 posts, read 841,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason7613 View Post
Appreciate it, that's what I thought!
Any ideas on the other questions anyone?
I did a bridge loan, because we found 'our dream' new place BEFORE our old home was 'ready' to sell.
The bridge loan IS essentially a 2nd mortgage, interest only, short-term.
We negotiated and got a GREAT deal on the new place - and knew bridge loan would stretch us to the limit - and it has. Having to scramble doubletime now making everything happen - but was expected. I is/has been difficult - but know that its worth it, and know we've locked in a place thats now worth 25% more a year later (it has a number of acres of land included!).

Only suggestion I'd make is SINCE you are considering moving, start your 'doubletime' NOW on your old place (to get it perfect/ready to sell fast) so that when/if you find a perfect place you can for sure make it happen and not have to 'pass it up' cause you're not ready and not willing to take pain of 2x mortg.

Do your best NOW to sell first; you can always request a 2-week 'rent-back' on old house to help transition into new without having to put everything into storage ,etc.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:59 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
Quote:
Personal experience. Sometimes you do make money, at least on paper, even counting the closing costs. And that is what the IRS looks at. Of course if you have a mortgage you do lose overall.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
I did a bridge loan, because we found 'our dream' new place BEFORE our old home was 'ready' to sell.
The bridge loan IS essentially a 2nd mortgage, interest only, short-term.
We negotiated and got a GREAT deal on the new place - and knew bridge loan would stretch us to the limit - and it has. Having to scramble doubletime now making everything happen - but was expected. I is/has been difficult - but know that its worth it, and know we've locked in a place thats now worth 25% more a year later (it has a number of acres of land included!).

Only suggestion I'd make is SINCE you are considering moving, start your 'doubletime' NOW on your old place (to get it perfect/ready to sell fast) so that when/if you find a perfect place you can for sure make it happen and not have to 'pass it up' cause you're not ready and not willing to take pain of 2x mortg.

Do your best NOW to sell first; you can always request a 2-week 'rent-back' on old house to help transition into new without having to put everything into storage ,etc.

Thank you for the input. I am doing exactly this, albeit slowly, but concentrating on the more 'important' things. If we end up selling down the road, it will be prepared as best as we can get it. If we don't, well we still did work to the home!

I hope that works out for you (which it seems as it has been) and I would consider the same, but would lean towards the rent back. Of course we all know things don't always wok out as planned.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Personal experience. Sometimes you do make money, at least on paper, even counting the closing costs. And that is what the IRS looks at. Of course if you have a mortgage you do lose overall.
Think the timing has to be right for this to happen (or a flip) especially in a short time frame. More power to you if that's the case. I think personally we will give it about 2 - 2 1/2 years (depending on family things, job outlook, etc..) and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate