Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 11:35 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times

Advertisements

I thought the photos were fine and, from my point of view, that's a great deal compared to what you get here for the same money. Is there anything you can do to make yours the more desirable choice? Membership to a club? Including a vehicle (car, boat, snowmobile, etc.) assuming it would be less money than reducing the price further? Maybe a higher commission rate for a contract by a certain date? (I don't really think those work but people do it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 11:41 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
I am not a realtor, so read this post with a grain of salt! Anyway this is what I am thinking I would probably do, if I was in your shoes. I'd talk all of the following over with my real estate man before doing it. Then if he agrees, I'd:

(1) lower the price considerably, if you can afford to do so, maybe even to $299K.
(2) move out, if you aren't already. Rent a fairly modest apartment until the house is sold.
(3) lower the price again in a month or two, by about $20K if you don't start getting more showings soon.

If you are renting, then you can move when you are ready to move. You might need a loan or HELOC to pay the mortgage plus rent, but it is what it is. Don't let this situation affect your move to the new job site. You need to get this house sold so that you and your family can get back to a normal life in the new location.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:42 AM

182 posts, read 239,537 times
Kids are 12 & 7. His relo doesn't cover any housing cost at our destination. We would only be able to swing a few months of double payments but I would worry about this house being left unoccupied and is being so far away if anything went wrong.

Our realtor thinks the price is good and maybe it was before houses flooded the market here. We have a 8 month supply of inventory. Tax bills just came out hence the reason for everyone knee jerk reaction selling.

What I'm personally seeing is sellers who just need to get out and they list low which causes a ripple and everyone else lowers their prices within a day. Many of my neighbors got hit with a 3500 tax increase in one year. Who can blame people for wanting to flee? Literally people are moving 5 minutes over the Wisconsin border to escape.

Our listing experience was a comedy of errors from day one. Everything that could go wrong did. For sale sign went missing, info was wrong, pics wrong, hot water heater conked out..just a cluster F from the get go. It's like the house came alive and refused to be sold. She started not cooperating.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I am not a realtor, so read this post with a grain of salt! Anyway this is what I am thinking I would probably do, if I was in your shoes. I'd talk all of the following over with my real estate man before doing it. Then if he agrees, I'd:

(1) lower the price considerably, if you can afford to do so, maybe even to $299K.
(2) move out, if you aren't already. Rent a fairly modest apartment until the house is sold.
(3) lower the price again in a month or two, by about $20K if you don't start getting more showings soon.

If you are renting, then you can move when you are ready to move. You might need a loan or HELOC to pay the mortgage plus rent, but it is what it is. Don't let this situation affect your move to the new job site. You need to get this house sold so that you and your family can get back to a normal life in the new location.
How do you get a HELOC while home is listed? I though lenders frown on refinance or helocs while house is for sale?

Old 06-11-2016, 11:46 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
How do you get a HELOC while home is listed? I though lenders frown on refinance or helocs while house is for sale?

Hmm, I don't know! I never tried to get a HELOC while the home is listed. Maybe just a general household loan, or a bridge loan until it sells? I'd be looking into any kind of loan or advance you can get, in order to get out of there and be able to move as planned.

In other words, I'm WITH you on this - - it's a tough situation and my heart goes out to you in this dilemma. I'm thinking of the impact this is having on your family, and trying to figure out a way for all of you to move at the same time.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Those taxes for that price point are insane.

I'd bring a stager into your home to help it out a bit. The photos are nice quality but your home isn't presented as nicely as I think it could be. It is too stripped down. It needs decor. I'd talk to your agent about getting some staging done. Your family room furniture is laid out weird too. It makes the room feel off.

If you are in a cold sellers market you will need all the help you can get to get your home sold.
Isn't that crazy.....the agent told me to depersonalize and take away all the clutter. Even the kids room are less decorated than when the pics were taken. She's also the one who had us arrange the family room that way so it looked bigger. I've sold or given away a lot of furniture and knock knacks. I can't find a happy medium from stripped down to decorated.

I know there is much debate about show empty or show w belongings.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I thought the photos were fine and, from my point of view, that's a great deal compared to what you get here for the same money. Is there anything you can do to make yours the more desirable choice? Membership to a club? Including a vehicle (car, boat, snowmobile, etc.) assuming it would be less money than reducing the price further? Maybe a higher commission rate for a contract by a certain date? (I don't really think those work but people do it.)
We do have a 4 month old blue heaven 6 person sauna in the basement...it's gorgeous ...we don't really want to haul it to Florida....great for Chicago winters.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:56 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,607 times
Even in Northern Idaho its a runaway sellers market...... CRAZY nuts here... like the RE crash never happened

Old 06-11-2016, 12:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
The house is beautiful, pictures are mediocre IMO. That said if you really want to sell quickly, slash the price. I have posted this several times when we were in a situation similar, moving for a job with no relocation, we dropped the price $70,000.

We weighed having the house on the market for months compared to selling it quickly. The house sold as soon as the price was dropped. The agent was not listening to us either. The most important thing was sell the house quickly. She overpriced it tremendously. (thus such a huge price cut).

Old 06-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Yeah..pics leave a lot to be desired and those are from their "professional" photographer. Home ownership has been a disaster this time around. We will end up renting in Florida because that market is on fire right now. It's unreal. Seems like everywhere is hot. My brother just sold his home in Frisco, unstaged, pets and a smoker and that dump flew off the market like hot cakes. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate