Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 12:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
Yeah..pics leave a lot to be desired and those are from their "professional" photographer. Home ownership has been a disaster this time around. We will end up renting in Florida because that market is on fire right now. It's unreal. Seems like everywhere is hot. My brother just sold his home in Frisco, unstaged, pets and a smoker and that dump flew off the market like hot cakes. I don't get it.
Frisco is hot right now with so many companies coming to Dallas. There are more people moving in then houses are available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 01:01 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
It's not the photos, or the staging. There is no way to predict the taste of your eventual buyer, so quit beating yourself up.

Unfortunately, you bought at the height of the bubble and the value hasn't recouped. Nothing you can do about that, but the price seems very fair to me. Is there any way you can appeal the tax valuation of the house? Failing that, just sit tight and wait. It only takes one person to come along.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:18 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,669,013 times
Those taxes are insane for a home that size, especially with a $3500 increase in one year for some nearby homes! What are the politicians thinking . . .

Can't imagine many retirees or younger people being interested in a market like that, but hopefully another family will come along and love your home.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:22 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
How do you get a HELOC while home is listed? I though lenders frown on refinance or helocs while house is for sale?
You can't get a HELOC when your home is for sale.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:26 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Isn't that crazy.....the agent told me to depersonalize and take away all the clutter. Even the kids room are less decorated than when the pics were taken. She's also the one who had us arrange the family room that way so it looked bigger. I've sold or given away a lot of furniture and knock knacks. I can't find a happy medium from stripped down to decorated.

I know there is much debate about show empty or show w belongings.
The family room looks weird now though, not cozy. She had you declutter too much which is why I hire stagers. They get the balance just right. I stage my vacant listings for the most part so I'm a fan of having furniture in them. If you have an eight-month inventory then you need to do something different to get noticed faster.

Are you getting showings?

Old 06-11-2016, 02:41 PM

182 posts, read 239,478 times
Had more showings when house was listed higher. Once we dropped 15,000 showings dried up. Had one last Sunday but didn't work for them. Now of course we have way too many homes on the market. Why would anyone buy mine when they can have a house with an in ground pool for same price? The taxes are a huge problem and hence the reason people are fleeing Illinois.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:52 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
You may want to talk to your tax preparer - renting @ $2200 & taking the tax "loss" might be the better financial move - depending on your total household income.. on paper, youl'd be losing big buckets of cash, and sometimes that's actually a good thing. When I started talking to my CPA about the rentals I purchased, he seemed perplexed that we actually bought them to cash-flow.

As for the house with a pool? Even here in the desert, they aren't always welcome - I'd love a brand-new house with a pool, but one that's even ten years old - not so much.. Old pools are great for people who like to set $100 bills on fire.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:54 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times
Quote:
Had more showings when house was listed higher. Once we dropped 15,000 showings dried up. Had one last Sunday but didn't work for them. Now of course we have way too many homes on the market. Why would anyone buy mine when they can have a house with an in ground pool for same price? The taxes are a huge problem and hence the reason people are fleeing Illinois.
Your house is nice. I didn't know you can get so much house for that price in a location so close to a major city like Chicago.

Your living room is ..... eh. You don't even have a full size couch? Window decorations got to go...they look so 70s.

Your house is nice and clean. Is it always like that or did you have it professionally cleaned and organized before picture time?

Old 06-11-2016, 02:55 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,669,013 times
Quote:
Having had an in-ground pool, I know how much work they are plus the expense of maintenance. You also have to meet code as far as fencing and then there is the liability issue.

It was fun when we had it but you may have people looking at your home who actually want to avoid a pool.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2016, 02:58 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,404 times
Beautiful home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate