Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:43 AM

661 posts, read 1,248,566 times

Advertisements

I guess the seller is so behind the times that there is no listing online but just driving around the hood is how someone's going to figure out that the house is for sale? I guess this is the traditional route before the internet, right? Kinda like some cars for sale aren't listed online but you'll see them with a "for sale" sign on the side of the streets.

I was told once by someone that some house was for sale yet I couldn't find info. about it anywhere online. Not everything is listed online right? I was told driving around is also a good idea in finding a house for sale that aren't listed online for the masses to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 06:07 AM

192 posts, read 257,008 times
Your generation gap is showing

Old 06-12-2016, 07:16 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I guess the seller is so behind the times that there is no listing online but just driving around the hood is how someone's going to figure out that the house is for sale? I guess this is the traditional route before the internet, right? Kinda like some cars for sale aren't listed online but you'll see them with a "for sale" sign on the side of the streets.

I was told once by someone that some house was for sale yet I couldn't find info. about it anywhere online. Not everything is listed online right? I was told driving around is also a good idea in finding a house for sale that aren't listed online for the masses to see.
Lots of houses go on what's called pocket listing. Which means it's a sale that mostly happens off market. The realtor knows or has the buyers or sellers or both already lined up.

Pre Internet the houses were sold more through word of mouth and realtors had to have a lot more connections and lots more legwork to make a sale

Old 06-12-2016, 07:56 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lots of houses go on what's called pocket listing. Which means it's a sale that mostly happens off market. The realtor knows or has the buyers or sellers or both already lined up.

Pre Internet the houses were sold more through word of mouth and realtors had to have a lot more connections and lots more legwork to make a sale
This.

If there isn't a sign in the yard then it is a pocket listing.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:01 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
IMHO, if a seller put a "for sale" sign in his/her yard and didn't put it anywhere on the internet, it isn't really for sale. The seller is just fishing.

Even if it's a FSBO, there are plenty of sites on the internet.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:09 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
I had a friend who's houses were ALWAYS for sale. He was basically just fishing for someone to offer way more than the house was worth and just put a 'for sale' sign in the yard with no realtor even involved.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:49 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:

Around here it takes a while for a house to show up on the MLS even when that is what the seller wants. And then once it does, often a buyer's realtor will notice listings on the realtors' version of the MLS, before they appear on realtor.com, and forward the information to his buyers so that they can get in to see it early.

Or, here's one way to buy a house. When I bought my present house, here's the timeline:
Friday, 5/1/2015, 8 PM: I saw the realtor putting up the sign in the front yard and immediately contacted my real estate guy and got the process going. It wasn't even in the realtors' version of the MLS by then.

Saturday, 5/2/2015, 2 PM: We were the very first showing. Loved it, told the seller's realtor that an offer was on the way immediately, raced over to my real estate guy's office to do the computer paperwork for officially submitting my offer.

Saturday, 5/2/2015, 4 PM: We submitted a full price cash offer. By then the house was showing up on the realtors' version of the MLS but not on realtor.com. Still, I was starting to worry! Other buyers were beginning to swarm, and one of the sellers was in Europe and hard for the sellers' realtor to contact.

Sunday, 5/3/2015, 8 PM: It was past the 24 hour deadline we had given them, but my offer was accepted (so I pushed back the deadline). (Whew!) It didn't show up on realtor.com until late on the 3rd or else the 4th. Too bad, latecomers!

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 06-12-2016 at 09:57 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 12:19 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Plenty of people sell their homes by simply putting a sign outside. I have purchased such homes so I KNOW I am correct.

It comes down to this, if you have a high profile spot in a hot market a sign does a reasonable job of shifting that home.

One agent recently joked she should charge the nearby fsbo because so many potential buyers where stopping at his house.....

I would not suggest using just a sign on the road unless you had a very strong market with high volume of traffic and don't mind dealer with tire kickers.

But anyone who is willing to do their homework, hire an RE attorney and jump through the hoops can sell a home FSBO without using an agent in any way shape or form

to stay safe, always use escrow, (they WILL hold your hand to some degree) ALWAYS insist both parties have their own attorneys (they will either just draw up contracts and review or hold your hands all the way through depending what you want and are willing to pay)

I have done it a few times , I have no special skills, just a willingness to learn listen and jump through hoops.

I would also suggest the best way to make sure you close is to be fair, honest, disclose everything and don't sweat the small stuff. One other thing, if the buyer or seller is acting like a jerk he or she IS a jerk and you are better off going with someone else...

I have NEVER had a deal fail to close, and the reason is we are honest, friendly , flexible , fair and forthwith. We had always gotten great prices when buying and great prices when selling.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:52 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:

I wouldn't bother with a house not advertised online. That means the owner is stuck in the prior century....and his house will be, too. Also, when a house is online, it needs to have pics of the property. I don't bother with houses w/o pics. That means it looks pretty bad, usually. If it looks great, they advertise that in pics, for sure. FSBOs can post online. There are multiple fsbo sites, and a couple of other real estate sites that have both fsbo and realtor listings.

In the old days, houses were advertised in the newspaper. It is ineffective and impractical for anyone to come up with his own list of houses for sale by driving around. That's ridiculous.

Sometimes people stick a sign outside, just to see if there are any suckers who will overpay for the house, which will always be a fsbo. It's called fishing.

If they think their house is so hot and in demand that all they need to do is walk out to the curb & stick a sign with phone number on it, then they're too hotsy totsy for me, and I'm not worthy. I'll stick with the houses who are marketing their houses to all buyers of that price range.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
There are valid reasons a home is not shown on the Internet one place or other.

1: The owners want a quit quick sale, and will price the property at a price the listing agent can make a few calls and sell it without any fanfare and little traffic to view it. Often the case if it is an older seller, trying to get rid of the house, and can afford to sell it at a very favorable price. They may not be the kind of health, that they don't want to be bothered by a flow of lookers.

2: The home may be sold on a one party listing (a listing to show the property to one party who wants the home). Often it is someone related to a neighbor or a close friend) who wants the home. No need to run it through the MLS. It is sold or not sold by just one showing.

3: It may be sold so quick it never makes the MLS. MY daughter a few years ago after I retired, had a home in Phoenix she needed to sell when she got a job out of state. I went down to pack the last boxes and arrange to ship her things to California, and to list the home for sale. Realtor I listed under a power of attorney, had a sign in his car to put on the property at time he listed it. As soon as the Realtor left the neighbor came over and said her friend would want the home. She called her friend who came right over and wanted it, so I called the Realtor to come back to the house and write up the sale. Was on the market just less than an hour before a firm and good contract. The Realtor told me, that was the easiest sale he ever made on any of his listings.

4: The Realtor may have bought the home in their own account, instead of listing it. I did not sell homes for personal residences, as I only worked with investors. People knew I could buy and close on a home at a discounted price and they would come to see me if I would buy their home. Give me the right price, and I would buy any home, which I then resold to investors at an investor price. Fastest I ever did a resell, was the sellers after signing a contract to sell me the house, with a lease back so they could live there, and while in my parking lot moved some things from the back seat into the trunk. I sold the home to an investor sight unseen on the phone before they left the lot. This was a VA loan scheduled to be foreclosed on the next Monday. I called the VA office where I was known, and told them to send me the assumption papers (which they did), and told them it would be closed the following week by me or an investor taking the loan over. They thanked me for the call, and sent me the papers before the end of the day. Got them on Monday and closed Wednesday. I had two $500,000 lines of credit to buy property with, so I had a lot of flexibility to do things like this. In this case, I never had to put up even one dime, as I used a $1,000 promissory note as the deposit.

These are just some of the reasons that a home that is for sale, does not hit the MLS online site or others. There are many reasons that every home is not on the MLS or has picture listings for lookers to look at. This is especially true in hot markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate