Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:49 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times

Advertisements

Why don't you get into contact with an estate sale company, is that a local thing since I live so close to Sun City? Give them a shot at selling some of it for you and get rid of the rest that you don't want. Improper staging is worse than selling it empty so if the prior residents weren't interior decorators I would be leery of leaving their stuff and thinking it was staged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:53 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post
Hi Everyone,

I recently inherited a house from my parents that I will be looking to sell in the near future. The house is a large suburban house, 4 bedrooms, full basement, attic, all FULL of stuff. I would like it someone could critique my plan below and point out any issues or make some suggestions.

1. Take everything I need/want from the house as I have my own house
2. Rent a dumpster (there is a lot of stuff) to get rid of all the junk, leaving furniture, tables, beds, etc for staging.
3. Get rid of dumpster
4. Meeting with realtor to list the house
5. Get house under contract
6. Rent second dumpster to get rid of staging furniture
7. Close on deal/get rid of second dumpster

Does this seem like the right way to go about this? Thanks in advance!
It's what I did with the house my grandmother left me. A couple of slight variations. A couple of neighbors really liked some antique pieces and keepsakes, I gave it to them. A local Boy Scout Troop came in and removed appliances etc and donated them to charity. The house was a "tear down", the value was in the acreage. It worked out well.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:39 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post
Hi Everyone,

I recently inherited a house from my parents that I will be looking to sell in the near future. The house is a large suburban house, 4 bedrooms, full basement, attic, all FULL of stuff. I would like it someone could critique my plan below and point out any issues or make some suggestions.

2. Rent a dumpster (there is a lot of stuff) to get rid of all the junk, leaving furniture, tables, beds, etc for staging.
3. Get rid of dumpster
4. Meeting with realtor to list the house
5. Get house under contract
7. Close on deal/get rid of second dumpster

Does this seem like the right way to go about this? Thanks in advance!
I've been dealing with a very similar situation for the last 11 months! My grandmother passed away last May and she was a borderline 'hoarder'. She threw very little away and saved things in case she or anyone else could ever use them. Her house was around 1400 square feet and the main level and basement were full. There was also quite a bit in the attic and there was a full 300sf storage building on the property that was packed full.

Your plan seems pretty solid, IMO. The only thing I would suggest is to separate true 'junk/garbage' from things that could be donated to Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity or another charitable organization. Despite my grandmother's hoarding behavior, she was an incredibly neat woman and wouldn't leave the house unless she was wearing a suit. She had a closet full of beautiful clothes that my mom had spend thousands of dollars on...she had 87 pair of new or like-new dress shoes/pumps! I donated a lot of her clothes to a local organization that helps single mothers find jobs and they give them clothes to help them get started in their new career.

My grandmother was also an excellent seamstress and quilter. I conservatively estimate that she had 30 large storage totes full of high quality fabric that she had collected over the years. I'm friends with a local oncologist who told me about a lovely lady who makes quilts for cancer patients. She was thrilled to get the fabric and I was touched (I rarely cry, but I actually teared up) when she posted her first quilt made from my grandmother's material on Facebook.

Just don't throw away everything out of haste and/or frustration. Don't overthink it or spend a lot of time trying to decide, but donate the things that could still be useful instead of throwing them away.

A final bit of advice is that you should keep everything that you want, but don't feel guilty or obligated to keep everything personal. I went through that in 2012 when my other grandmother died and I ended up with my garage so full that I couldn't park in it and my attic was also packed. I felt guilty about getting rid of any of her prized possessions, but over the last few years, I realized that I was honoring her more by giving them to an organization where they could do some good rather than taking up every spare inch of space in my home out of guilt! =)

I wish you the best!

Old 06-17-2016, 11:48 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
I had two weeks to move out of my 15 yo home and into a one room apartment so you can imagine what it took to coordinate, sort, and categorize junk, donations, etc. owing to the huge downsizing project.

Consider auctioning. Preparation for auction (click here) Arrangements can be made to have packing done for you.
Before you throw out anything of potential value like attic contents get an appraiser to go through it. The estimate will be on the low side. You will come out with a nice bit of cash maybe 100's of dollars. If there are old records don't throw out, they are worth a couple bucks each even more now that vinyl sells new for 25/each and up. Same with some vintage turntables.

Go through your house and color code categories with different colors of masking tape. For example donations in green, garbage in beige, green for keeps, and so on. Just pull off a longish strip and affix it to the item.

3. Get rid of dumpster
Donate, reuse, recycle. Make an appointment with thrift store like Salvation Army. They will bring their own truck and loading staff for free. In some cases you can make an arrangement for packing up as well. Usually they only take 1 hour or 1-1/2 to complete.

Staging done yourself with your own furniture will most likely be a mistake. Use rental furniture instead and enlist the services of an interior designer or professional staging company. You might have to spend 500 - 1000 but believe me it is worth it. It will literally sell the house.

There is more but composing this has taken a toll on my typing fingers

Old 06-18-2016, 12:14 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
When I took my uncles 'stuff', including most furniture, knick knacks, kitchen stuff etc. to auction, we got the grand total of $253 for it. That was after spending days sorting it into boxes, cleaning it etc.

It would have been better off at a thrift store or frankly, a dumpster. I was (still am actually) opposed to the throw away society we have become, but sometimes that is the best choice.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:51 AM

229 posts, read 240,687 times
I gave three truckloads of furniture to Humane Society and one to Hope's Closet. Small items I took to various charities but it was so good that the places could come to get the furniture.

I hate to think of your throwing them in a dumpster.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:25 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Because I'm a thrift shopper I am expert at yard/estate sales. I could give you plenty of tips there. A dumpster on the front end is a good idea. You won't be charged by the day, but by the weight. That's an easy way of ditching stuff that can't be donated. Then spend a weekend or two bundling and tagging for sale, pray for a great weekend, advertise (craigslist with pictures), put signs out and possibly make a couple thousand. It will be fun because you can let people talk you down and they still end up paying you to haul it off.

Whatever's left can be donated for a tax write-off or put in the dumpster.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:52 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
When my grandmother passed, we had a fully loaded home to empty in New Mexico. We couldn't find any estate liquidators, so we did our own, all things must go. My grandparents had owned a hardware store not long before they passed and they had a detached garage stuffed with tools and guns and hunting/sports paraphernalia. At the end of our 3 day sale, we had over $6500 and that was with fire sale tactics. A family friend made his living working flea markets, so instead of charity, he got all he could carry. Then the remainder was passed on to charity. I get the OP's time is money and it may not be worth their time. We actually had fun doing this, finding things we had no idea they had. The sketchy part was coming across the firearms and unloading what I was not familiar with, but a call to the PD was our next move, but that wasn't needed. That is one area of great caution to warn about.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:46 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I've been dealing with a very similar situation for the last 11 months! My grandmother passed away last May and she was a borderline 'hoarder'. She threw very little away and saved things in case she or anyone else could ever use them. Her house was around 1400 square feet and the main level and basement were full. There was also quite a bit in the attic and there was a full 300sf storage building on the property that was packed full.

Your plan seems pretty solid, IMO. The only thing I would suggest is to separate true 'junk/garbage' from things that could be donated to Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity or another charitable organization. Despite my grandmother's hoarding behavior, she was an incredibly neat woman and wouldn't leave the house unless she was wearing a suit. She had a closet full of beautiful clothes that my mom had spend thousands of dollars on...she had 87 pair of new or like-new dress shoes/pumps! I donated a lot of her clothes to a local organization that helps single mothers find jobs and they give them clothes to help them get started in their new career.

My grandmother was also an excellent seamstress and quilter. I conservatively estimate that she had 30 large storage totes full of high quality fabric that she had collected over the years. I'm friends with a local oncologist who told me about a lovely lady who makes quilts for cancer patients. She was thrilled to get the fabric and I was touched (I rarely cry, but I actually teared up) when she posted her first quilt made from my grandmother's material on Facebook.

Just don't throw away everything out of haste and/or frustration. Don't overthink it or spend a lot of time trying to decide, but donate the things that could still be useful instead of throwing them away.

A final bit of advice is that you should keep everything that you want, but don't feel guilty or obligated to keep everything personal. I went through that in 2012 when my other grandmother died and I ended up with my garage so full that I couldn't park in it and my attic was also packed. I felt guilty about getting rid of any of her prized possessions, but over the last few years, I realized that I was honoring her more by giving them to an organization where they could do some good rather than taking up every spare inch of space in my home out of guilt! =)

I wish you the best!
What a truly touching post. I think you are doing some great and worthy things and I'll bet your G.Mother would be extremely proud of your choices of recipients.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:08 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
When an older friend broke up housekeeping and moved to a much smaller place, a younger (30s) relative took her out for brunch. On Mother's Day. She was very happy when she was invited. Nice place. It wasn't long into the meal that the young relative's demeanor changed. She looked at the older lady pointedly and said she'd really like a particular dining set. She should have it. She already had one, but great aunt's was better. Gave more reasons. My friend felt deflated and tricked into the brunch and it wasn't nice anymore. She said she'd talk with her son about it.

She already knew what she intended to do with the set. She was smart, wise and preplanned. Her son was already in on her plans. The set was very special and,while they all thought it was valuable, even son and mom were surprised it sold for the many thousands it did.

Since then, same young relative has said this won't happen again....as in "I'm getting some stuff". So...tightening up of wills and memoranda was done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate