Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 02:10 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,033 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious what your thoughts are on this....

If the listing agent has to split the commission with the buyer's agent, sometimes I wonder if these offers aren't even presented to the sellers if others come in at the same/similar price, but no buyer's agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 03:11 PM

71 posts, read 80,684 times
Sellers agent must present all offers to the sellers regardless of the agency of the buyers. You are always better to have your own representation. Get a buyer's agent!

Old 06-18-2016, 04:31 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I'm just curious what your thoughts are on this....

If the listing agent has to split the commission with the buyer's agent, sometimes I wonder if these offers aren't even presented to the sellers if others come in at the same/similar price, but no buyer's agent.
Well, if you have an unethical, dishonest, unscrupulous and greedy listing agent, perhaps -- but as an agent, we are required to present ALL offers, unless we have specific instructions not to present anything under X amount. And even then, we have to notify the seller that the offer has been received.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Well, if you have an unethical, dishonest, unscrupulous and greedy listing agent, perhaps -- but as an agent, we are required to present ALL offers, unless we have specific instructions not to present anything under X amount. And even then, we have to notify the seller that the offer has been received.
This right here afaik.^^^^^.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:36 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
In Colorado, the listing contract says the brokerage will get all of the commission. Then it says if there is another brokerage involved, the listing brokerage will share xx% with the selling brokerage. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Q...NuUHRGNEk/view See 7.1 and 7.2

There are not two commissions paid by the seller. There is one, paid when the job is completed, or flat fee - per the signed written contract between brokerage an seller.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:59 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
The right buyer's agent will find you properties which you would never know about and/or get you a better deal than you would on your own or save you from making big mistake.

That is your representative not the seller's--the real estate agent is typically the seller's representative. A buyer's agent should be your expert. Shop for one like you would any key employee.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:38 PM

30,634 posts, read 18,222,068 times
While I'd assume that I'd still be represented by the seller's agent if I didn't have a buyer's agent, I would think that her first priority is to the seller and wouldn't expect her to provide the same advice/insight that a standalone buyer's agent would. Thankfully, both the seller's agent and the buyer's agent on the deal I'm working on now have been great, with the seller's agent being particularly reasonable.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
That would be a very bad assumption, unless early on in the discussion (phone inquiry, email before meeting you, early in the showing of the home) they explained dual agency and whether it's allowed in your state. And then I'd make sure that they helped me consider other homes, that they weren't the listing agent on, before I wrote an offer with them on the first house.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:19 PM

30,634 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
That would be a very bad assumption, unless early on in the discussion (phone inquiry, email before meeting you, early in the showing of the home) they explained dual agency and whether it's allowed in your state. And then I'd make sure that they helped me consider other homes, that they weren't the listing agent on, before I wrote an offer with them on the first house.
That is good to know!

Old 06-19-2016, 07:29 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I'd assume that I'd still be represented by the seller's agent if I didn't have a buyer's agent, I would think that her first priority is to the seller and wouldn't expect her to provide the same advice/insight that a standalone buyer's agent would. Thankfully, both the seller's agent and the buyer's agent on the deal I'm working on now have been great, with the seller's agent being particularly reasonable.
Well, you know what happens when you assume . . . :-)

You are correct -- if the seller has a listing agent, the only way that the agent could represent both of you is through what is known as "dual agency," where the agent represents both clients. Many brokerages do not allow this, realizing that it is almost impossible for an agent to represent such widely divergent goals -- one wants to sell for the most, one wants to buy for the least. If repairs are needed, who does the agent negotiate with -- themselves? Always make sure that your buyer's agent is representing ONLY you in the transaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate