Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 07:52 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times

Advertisements

you continue to come back to 3 things consistently:

1. two week course
2. just take a test
3. hairdressers/cosmetologists have more training

1 and 2 are patently false, in NC where you reside at least. why you choose 3 as an ongoing insult is beyond me. There's certainly truth that a cosmetologist has a risk of permanent physical harm, whereas a really bad agent will only contribute to fiscal harm.

the people that hire YOU know what to look for in a resume that they're interested in. If you didn't have the necessary certifications, they wouldn't even interview you.

"what to ask your prospective agent in an interview" articles are easy to find, all over the internet. How long have you been doing this? Are you full-time? How many clients do you help every year? Do you have references from past clients?

None of those are questions Redfin suggests that you should ask. "What's your rate? What's my rebate? Can I click a button to set up a showing with someone I've never met?"

Of course there are bad realtors, there are a few bad IT pros, and there are bad mortgage lenders. There are bad doctors and lawyers as well. Hopefully, there's the fewest % of bad doctors among all that bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 07:58 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Thank you, Jkgourmet! I have been ELEVATE!d.
LMAO

It lol was lol a lol feat lol of lol engineering!

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-25-2016 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-25-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

1. two week course
2. just take a test

1 and 2 are patently false, in NC where you reside at least. why you choose 3 as an ongoing insult is beyond me. There's certainly truth that a cosmetologist has a risk of permanent physical harm, whereas a really bad agent will only contribute to fiscal harm.

the people that hire YOU know what to look for in a resume that they're interested in. If you didn't have the necessary certifications, they wouldn't even interview you.

"what to ask your prospective agent in an interview" articles are easy to find, all over the internet. How long have you been doing this? Are you full-time? How many clients do you help every year? Do you have references from past clients?

None of those are questions Redfin suggests that you should ask. "What's your rate? What's my rebate? Can I click a button to set up a showing with someone I've never met?"

Of course there are bad realtors, there are a few bad IT pros, and there are bad mortgage lenders. There are bad doctors and lawyers as well. Hopefully, there's the fewest % of bad doctors among all that bunch.
"False?"
Who made THAT matter all of a sudden? "Patently?" Well, yeah. Who lol holds lol the lol patent lol in lol this lol conversation lol?

Old 06-25-2016, 09:08 AM

905 posts, read 790,241 times
To answer the original question, I say no, but that doesn't necessarily mean commissioned agents are superior. Over the years I've used half a dozen or more traditional agents and Redfin on three occasions, both buying and selling. Redfin tends to use a "team" concept so if you hire them any number of relatively inexperienced agents may end up showing your property to prospective buyers, rather than the experienced agent you thought you hired. There might be other, traditional agencies that follow this model but I personally never experienced it prior to using Redfin. Conceptually, being on salary would seem to take away motivation, for the same reasons that service in U.S. restaurants is better than in Europe on average where tipping is a minor part of servers' income.

However, having said that people are individuals and their degree of competence, engagement and professionalism will certainly trump any business model or how they are paid. It is entirely possible to get great and poor agents using either Redfin or traditional agencies. In my experience, Redfin can be counted on to give a certain baseline level of service regardless of circumstances, whereas a commissioned agent can "check out" and become difficult and unprofessional if they feel a situation has become more trouble than it's worth.

The bottom line for me is that the best commissioned agents have been perhaps better than Redfin but the worst have definitely been far worse; Redfin is more of a steady, if perhaps not stellar, experience overall and best suited to the experienced buyer; I intend to use them here in the future. On the sell side I tend to favor full service and would never use Redfin again unless I had an immaculate, flawless home in a blazing hot sellers' market. But this is all a product of my individual experience and I could easily see someone else reaching a different conclusion.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:30 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,801,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

1. two week course
2. just take a test

We can combine 1 and 2 and let's just say the very minimum is required to become a realtor. The bar is low. Be it a 2 week course or 2 months there is very little required.

3 comes from the NAR itself that says cosmetologists get more training than most realtors. Take it up with them if you find that offensive or insulting. It's certainly not something I made up.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:40 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,903,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Thanks but you are absolutely the last person on cd I would take unsolicited advice from lol
It may have been unsolicited, but it has merit. Simply pay a listing service, get the home on MLS and put your phone number (use a throw away cell) in the listing, put no Realtor commission paid. If a buyer wants to buy your home, they pay their Realtor or they come without.

You may disagree with jkgourmet (and myself), but once you remove any snark or sarcasm, I don't understand why you shoot it down, as the suggestion addresses all of your objections. If your wife is a mortgage lender, surely she can find an appraiser to assist with the list price?

That's what's great about this country, you don't have to pay a Realtor to sell or buy a home, you can argue your own case in court (I have successfully filed my own Motions and Petitions), you can even draw your own plans and specs (some even hand drawn) to submit to the county for a home you wish to build. You can even self-medicate as long as it's legal (but I do concede, a medical license beyond that is needed).

I don't understand the venom in your posts. You are not required to use a Realtor. Other professions pay well without an extensive degree. But I have to say, in the DC, NY, and Boston metro areas, you would be hard pressed to find folks without a 4 year degree, albeit, not in real estate.

Your wife is in mortgages? How do you feel about her pay? Talk about a field that's all over the map. I am constantly recruited by firms offering 3x my current pay! (Lol, I cannot deny that I don't wish that was my contract, but I'm happy working for a credit union with a pension and short and long term disability, which is just not offered any more). The standards for the mortgage industry are comparable to the real estate industry. How do you feel about that?

Old 06-25-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
We can combine 1 and 2 and let's just say the very minimum is required to become a realtor. The bar is low. Be it a 2 week course or 2 months there is very little required.

3 comes from the NAR itself that says cosmetologists get more training than most realtors. Take it up with them if you find that offensive or insulting. It's certainly not something I made up.
If we can entertain your personal hijack of an interesting thread....

Are engineers more competent and honest when on W2 or 1099?
H-1B visa or citizens or undocumented?

Since we can hire H-1B engineers for less than common American engineers, and they have the education, does this spell the end for American engineering?

(Apologies for multi-syllabic terminology.)

Old 06-25-2016, 10:10 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,801,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If we can entertain your personal hijack of an interesting thread....

Are engineers more competent and honest when on W2 or 1099?
H-1B visa or citizens or undocumented?

Since we can hire H-1B engineers for less than common American engineers, and they have the education, does this spell the end for American engineering?

(Apologies for multi-syllabic terminology.)
Lol at least you are entertaining sir. Thanks again for being true to form !

Old 06-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Lol at least you are entertaining sir. Thanks again for being true to form !
Too many big words again.
My bad.

I don't know how to simplify to your needs.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:34 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Thanks but you are absolutely the last person on cd I would take unsolicited advice from lol
Oh, good. The pressure was getting to me. I was having some kind of crazy idea about going to Realtor School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate