Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:10 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Thanks for the honest and transparent post MJ.
Was your erroneous attribution of his response deliberate...or did you not understand the gist of Mike's comments?

Quote:
Look, if I bring a buyer's agent into the mix, I think that typically carves out 3 percent of the commission.
Think again. While there may be occasions when a listing brokerage may lower their commission, you--as a Buyer--have no contractual relationship with them. They owe you nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 05:37 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Look, it's just one bucket of money.

If I offer 300k on a property w/o a buyer's agent, the selling agent/broker typically would make 6 percent. That's an extra 9k vs. if I had a buyer's agent.

I'd prefer a 2 percent rebate so that the selling agent could get credit for a larger sale.

Would the selling agent rather present a 300k offer from a buyer/buyer's agent and lose that 1 percent (in this case 3,000 dollars)?
It's a "bucket of money" that's *already* been spent by the seller of the property.

Like I said, if it's *really* roasting your acorns, then sit through the class, get a license & you'll be *entitled* to a commission.

I'm not jerkin' your chain here - I did it myself & collected the checks.

That said, the commission check wasn't what made my purchases a "deal", it was having mls access & access to recent solds & pending deals, so I knew the market I was buying in and could recognize a "deal".

The commission is a nice "bonus", but its a very small part of the pie.

Re-negotiating a contract you aren't a part of isn't reasonable.

If the seller put in new carpet & "paid too much" (in your mind), would that give you standing to ask the carpet guy for a refund?

This is really no different & like I said, you're likely walking past dollars to pick up dimes.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:02 PM

809 posts, read 746,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
It's a "bucket of money" that's *already* been spent by the seller of the property.
When it comes to purchasing property, the bucket of money is filled by the buyer. Yes, I'm doing my own research so I don't want a buyer's agent drinking from that bucket (and pushing me to buy BUY B U Y so they get a commission).

Old 06-26-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Was your erroneous attribution of his response deliberate...or did you not understand the gist of Mike's comments?
Maybe I didn't get his gist. Hopefully he will come back and clarify.

Jack, I do question your point of view.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
When it comes to purchasing property, the bucket of money is filled by the buyer. Yes, I'm doing my own research so I don't want a buyer's agent drinking from that bucket (and pushing me to buy BUY B U Y so they get a commission).
If you select an agent who is pushing you to buy, you need to choose to work with another agent.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:17 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Many listing agents will reduce their fee to the seller if they also represent the buyer. Most listing agents will not give you a rebate.
I have been meaning to tell you that I love your description of your pets in your profile, especially the last one, which cracks me up.

I always look forward to your real estate contributions.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Maybe I didn't get his gist. Hopefully he will come back and clarify.

Jack, I do question your point of view.
Question away. But please don't miss my main point--being that while you may be able to find a listing agent who will lower their commission under your circumstances, you should not have an expectation that they will do so because they have no fiduciary or contractual relationship with you as a Buyer.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Question away. But please don't miss my main point--being that while you may be able to find a listing agent who will lower their commission under your circumstances, you should not have an expectation that they will do so because they have no fiduciary or contractual relationship with you as a Buyer.
Fair response.

As the buyer, I think I have the right to convey conditions as well as purchase price.

I have the right to have an inspection from the inspector of my choice.

Do I also have the right to "hire" the selling agent under my terms?

I don't mean to be contentious here. As I said, I'm doing my own research.

Desirable homes are questionable given my finances, so a realtor discount is significant to me.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:08 PM

491 posts, read 375,556 times
6% is generally max commission rate, but currently, those rates are very negotiable because if a rep is going to the typical list on mls and do open houses, they aren't really adding value to the marketing but fishing in a lake of random prospective buyers. if the rep has a buyer ready to purchase your property immediately, he deserves the 6%. if the rep has a client pool and reputation for selling fast, he/she may deserve a higher rate. i think sellers generally overpay. 6% is an inexorbitant amount of money for the work most (and i stress most) reps actually do.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:10 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Fair response.

As the buyer, I think I have the right to convey conditions as well as purchase price.

I have the right to have an inspection from the inspector of my choice.

Do I also have the right to "hire" the selling agent under my terms?

I don't mean to be contentious here. As I said, I'm doing my own research.

Desirable homes are questionable given my finances, so a realtor discount is significant to me.
You don't have any right to dictate conditions on a contract that's already been negotiated, signed & that you aren't a party to. The seller doesn't have the ability to re-negotiate that deal & the listing broker has no incentive to.

Playing "hardball" & pretending you're the bald guy on "Pawn Stars" isn't going to work. The listing agent gets their split *no matter what* & why would they agree to even "represent" you, as a buyer, if you don't value their time & want a piece of their pie - especially in a tight market, at the bottom end of the price range. If 2% of a deal is "significant" to you, that's even less incentive for them to bargain.

The demographic you're representing here is inexperienced, doesn't have any money & doesn't value the agent's time. Those are the same buyers who turn around & blame the agent for any problems with the deal or the property. Once an agent has a listing in a hot market, they're pretty much done & they're getting paid anyway. Why take on the risk of an inexperienced buyer who doesn't like you for a whopping 1% of the deal. Much easier to send you packing & find another listing. Any agent worth having would run from you & any agent willing to take your offer isn't the kind of agent you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate