Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:19 AM

19,538 posts, read 9,064,520 times

Advertisements

My husband, age 60, lost his job in the oil and gas industry three months ago, and since then, he has only been able to obtain temp jobs that pay about 40% less than what he was making. If he does not find another full-time permanent job that pays well soon, we will need to sell our current home, but the good news is that the Denver real estate market is very hot right now and we can sell our home for a significant profit. However, although we would have enough money between the sale and our savings to buy our “dream” retirement home in the New Hampshire Lakes Region, nothing is listed in that market now that meets all our requirements.* (Open concept “one level living” with a wood burning fireplace that is visible from a large-ish kitchen, and at least a one-car garage, for under $350k. The perfect size for us would be about 1,400 square feet.)

We do not want to rent an apartment because we have a large dog and a cat, so we are thinking of buying an interim single family (but not mobile) home in New Hampshire at the lowest possible price that is livable, about $150k, and then selling it when a home that does meet all our needs and wants comes on the market. (Ideally, this would not be until my husband is 65, at which time he plans to start collecting social security, so that we can more easily afford the higher property taxes that a more expensive home would have. Btw, we would be able to pay for the temporary home in cash, with enough income from my social security and a small pension to pay our monthly expenses, and still have enough of our savings left to pay for the larger home later, as long as we can sell the “temp” home for about as much as we paid for it.)

Does this plan sound feasible, and if not, what alternatives would you suggest?

*There are several homes available now in the $250-350k range that do meet all our requirements, except that they have gas fireplaces instead of wood burning ones, and we are not sure how easy those would be to convert – especially the gas fireplaces in newer homes. (Any input about that would also be appreciated.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:27 AM

17,678 posts, read 29,607,847 times
Default Cold, remote

1. You are too picky. Letting a gas fireplace prevent you from buying is silly.
2. Hope you are prepared for NH property taxes. They are more than you would pay in Colorado for property + sales + income.
3. My brother lives near Dartmouth and therefore has excellent medical facilities close by. What is the situation in the lakes region?
4. Do you know what the winters are like in NH?

Old 06-26-2016, 06:38 AM

8,653 posts, read 22,816,050 times
Use caution if your dream home is important to your plans. Life has a way of coming along and detouring the best laid plans. Your temporary home could easily be a poor second to your dream home.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:26 AM

8,099 posts, read 8,248,572 times
Plan A: Buy the house in a location you like and just plan on spending more money later to renovate to your dreams. That would be alot cheaper than the expenses of selling.

Plan B: Buy the temp house. When you are ready to move, refinance it and then use it as a rental income property. Then buy the forever house.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:40 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,883,089 times
No, I would not do this. I think it is incredibly risky to put all of that cash in an illiquid asset, particularly since your plan is contingent on that house not losing value.

Also, you're assuming that when your dream house becomes available, 1) you'll be able to sell, 2) you'll be able to sell for what you paid for the house, 3) selling costs, and 4) that the seller of your dream house will wait until all of this happens. You're also assuming that your interim house will not need any major repairs while you wait for your dream house to hit the market. That's a whole of if's.

I'm assuming that because of your income, you won't be able to obtain a mortgage?

You should rent until you find your dream house. If you don't want an apartment, then rent a house.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. You are too picky. Letting a gas fireplace prevent you from buying is silly.
2. Hope you are prepared for NH property taxes. They are more than you would pay in Colorado for property + sales + income.
3. My brother lives near Dartmouth and therefore has excellent medical facilities close by. What is the situation in the lakes region?
4. Do you know what the winters are like in NH?
1. Actually, no. There have been two homes on the market since April that would meet ALL of our requirements, but they both were under contract within two weeks. One was even lakefront (for $275k), and one was only $150k!. (Both were in Ossipee, which is not as prestigious as Wolfeboro or Moultonborough, for example, but we don't care about that.) Yes, they both needed some work (minor repairs and they could have used some redecorating from what I could see online), but nothing out of our budget. (Of course, it goes without saying that we would have inspections before buying!) Also, we prefer wood fireplaces to gas for many reasons.

2. Yes, we are very aware of the much higher property taxes, generally speaking, in NH, and that is why we want to wait to buy a higher-priced property until we are sure that our monthly income will cover that. (However, NH does offer property tax breaks to seniors that vary from town to town, I think.)

3. They do have a hospital in the Lakes Region (Laconia).

4. Yes, we lived for three years (including three winters) in Bridgton, Maine, which is about 60 miles from the NH Lakes Region.

And, thanks to you and everyone else who answered so far! Some very good advice has been given!

Last edited by katharsis; 06-26-2016 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-27-2016, 05:26 AM

19,375 posts, read 27,625,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

*There are several homes available now in the $250-350k range that do meet all our requirements, except that they have gas fireplaces instead of wood burning ones, and we are not sure how easy those would be to convert – especially the gas fireplaces in newer homes. (Any input about that would also be appreciated.)
Personally, requiring a wood burning fireplace seems really over the top to me.

But in regard to conversion, some (many?) Areas will not allow new homes to be built with wood burning fireplaces. I'm guessing those areas would not allow a conversion, either.

Certain areas even have 'no burn' days.

I've no idea if that applies to NH, but you might want to check.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Personally, requiring a wood burning fireplace seems really over the top to me.

But in regard to conversion, some (many?) Areas will not allow new homes to be built with wood burning fireplaces. I'm guessing those areas would not allow a conversion, either.

Certain areas even have 'no burn' days.

I've no idea if that applies to NH, but you might want to check.
Just FYI, as you are at least the second person reading in this thread who has questioned this:

1. We LOVE the ambience of a crackling fire, the smell of wood smoke, plus each wood fire is different, and we enjoy watching the fire die down and watching the glowing embers. You don't get any of that with a gas fireplace -- or at least none that I have experienced.

2. We have always lived on a wooded lot, and so we have never had to pay for firewood. Gas prices fluctuate, and we use our fireplace a LOT in spring, winter, fall and also on cold rainy summer day -- although there are not many of these in Denver!. Plus, this is good exercise for both of us, with my husband chopping it, and I carrying it and stacking it.

3. If we have a power failure when there is four feet of snow outside, we can always have a wienie roast indoors!

I have had gas fireplaces in the past, btw, and I hate them -- imo, they have no personality and some of them generate too much "local" heat, but -- again -- I think these are one of those things that are a matter of opinion. I know many people think and feel as I do, but I also know that many others definitely prefer gas.

P.S. You are absolutely right about restrictions -- we have them in Colorado -- but it is not an issue in Maine or rural New Hampshire, or at least not that I have ever heard.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:40 AM

6,787 posts, read 11,429,264 times
If the wood burning fireplace is non-negotiable, I would investigate those otherwise perfect houses. We used to have a wood burning fireplace that we installed gas logs in (it had a gas line already there for a gas starter). I assume we could have taken the gas logs out and gone back to wood burning. The houses you are looking at might have the same thing.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:34 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,102,452 times
pictures of the home, data points like "direct vent" or "ventless", and the professional assistance of your Realtor will help you get a wood-burning fireplace.

as to the original question, I would much more be thinking about keeping that "not my long-term home" as an investment. That assumes it's better to accept rent than to pay taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate