Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:43 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times

Advertisements

We were talking to a real estate lady and she told us that she tells all of her clients that kitchens and bathrooms sell houses because if you think about it , those are important rooms in the house . I had never heard that before . What do you all think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 02:23 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
They're both the most used rooms in the house and everyone wants them to be sparkling and updated. no one wants a stained bath or a kitchen with worn, burnt or cut countertops and outdated non-efficient appliances and many will walk away or offer less.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:41 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
That's been well known since..... forever!

Old 06-26-2016, 02:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
If the OP "hasn't heard this before" I can only assume:
  • They have not bought or sold a home in the past two decades
  • They have no access to TV shows on the HGTV, DIY, or PBS networks like "This Old House", Rehab Addict, Flip or Flop, Hometime, FixerUpper, etc
  • They have not talked socially with friends , coworkers they may have shopped for a house
  • They lived in apartments

The desire for homebuyers to have attractive and functional KITCHENS AND BATHS is a huge part of why there are so many option to update / renovate these rooms. The cost per sq ft of such make-overs is quite high but on a "bang for the buck" basis such expenditures tend to retain value when current owners get 5-10 years out of a remodel and then decide to sell. Costly renovations of these rooms may spend the sale of homes that might otherwise linger on the market but depending on local market preferences and the seller's familiarity of how to control costs such an effort may not be preferable to selling at a lower price to a "flipper" that probably knows the tricks of how to make such changes cost effectively...

Old 06-26-2016, 03:03 PM

524 posts, read 574,592 times
They are the most expensive rooms to update, so it makes sense.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:15 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I have heard this. I think it's very important for first-time buyers. I'm an experienced buyer and I value location, structural integrity, and functionality over updated kitchen or baths.

I really don't get the hang up about appliances. They have a relatively short lifespan and you're going to be replacing them anyway. I'd be far more concerned about the roof/plumbing/electrical condition.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 3,875 times
She is absolutely correct! If you have not updated these rooms in your home, you cannot expect the same price for home as one that has a beautifully updated kitchen/bathroom. The value will be reduced.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:20 PM

491 posts, read 375,640 times
depends.. for instance, if an agent suggests your home price is $300k while comps are $350k because your home isn't as updated as the others in the block, and it costs $50k to remodel your kitchen and 3 bathrooms, then you make the about the same net either way cos you'll be in the hole $50k doing a renovation. however, if you want it to move FAST, it does makes more sense to do an upgrade in most starter homes, because first time home owners want a turnkey transaction with no additional work. flipside is this, why do realtors want you to remodel? cos they get a quick transaction AND they get a higher commission off the higher sale price, so think about that!

now, if you're dealing with a million+ dollar home on 1-2 acres, with a beautiful structure, but has some outdated cabinetry and wallpaper, i wouldn't update it. the folks looking to buy this type of home are looking at the bigger picture, are much more savvy in terms of renovations and most likely don't like any stock renovations you put in. many people who buy million dollar homes will tear apart what you've done anyway to make it their own. i would only update a luxury home if planning to enjoy it yourself for next 10 years. people should be doing that anyhow.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:30 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
As others have noted they catch people's eyes because they are the hardest to change. If you look at a bedroom or living room and the colors are atrocious - you change them. And the furniture isn't staying anyway. Kitchen and bath? You're stuck with counters, cabinets, tile and appliances unless you want to do a very expensive renovation.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:53 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
I've remodeled a couple of small baths - the price wasn't horrible. I don't spend a lot of unnecessary time in there though, I'm a get in and get it done kind, lol

I'd agree that kitchens are a sticking point for me though. I have a young daughter and we spend a lot of time cooking, baking and crafting together. A decent size island or L shaped counter where we can work together is a must for me. I also like to stock up and shop the military's commissary so a need a decent size pantry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate