Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 01:35 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
HOAs.

The only people I have ever personally (not on a message board, but face-to-face) tout the advantages of HOAs are real estate agents and developer reps.

The benefits underwhelm the cost and certainly the annoyance. HOAs have rules but no teeth to enforce them, aside from cutting off access to facilities (pool, community center, etc.*) as they cannot levy and collect fines. Even when owners quit paying HOA fees, it takes months before it finally goes to collection and is written off as a loss that the rest of us have to cover.

And until the development is xx% (70%? 80%? it varies by development) built out, the HOAs are typically run by the developers for the benefit of the developers rather than the owners. And usually require much more than a simple majority to disband the HOA, once built out.

*But once it is pool season and the key cards need to be activated, some of those owners in arrears on HOA fees do get up-to-date on what they owe.
Interesting point. But all isn't lost there, though, as any unpaid fines/fees remain with the unit, making any such unit less attractive to potential buyers (that's certainly a deterrent for many). In fact, in the unit I'm looking into, I couldn't even close on the unit if there were any outstanding/unpaid HOA fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 01:40 PM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
The only people I have ever personally (not on a message board, but face-to-face) tout the advantages of HOAs are real estate agents and developer reps.

The benefits underwhelm the cost and certainly the annoyance. HOAs have rules but no teeth to enforce them, aside from cutting off access to facilities (pool, community center, etc.*) as they cannot levy and collect fines.
?

It doesn't sound like you have much knowledge about HOAs then, because HOAs certainly can and do levy fines and can even place liens on homes for unpaid dues/fines, culminating in foreclosure proceedings.

That's precisely what forces deadbeat homeowners to comply with the rules in a neighborhood, the financial threat of noncompliance.

Example, my parents live in an HOA community. Their home is probably worth $7-800k. The house two doors down however, has an absentee owner who rents it out. It's probably worth about $500k. You'd think that you'd get responsible renters at that price point, but no. They have trashed the front and backyard (even erected an above ground pool, which is not allowed) and have been in noncompliance with HOA regulations on multiple occasions for multiple reasons.

Well, my parents and their neighbors complained to the HOA, and though it takes a bit of time to start the ball rolling, now the above ground pool is gone, the landscaping is starting to be maintained, and the owner of the home was fined several hundred dollars until he either told his tenants to shape up, or he paid someone to take care of things.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:42 PM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Interesting point. But all isn't lost there, though, as any unpaid fines/fees remain with the unit, making any such unit less attractive to potential buyers (that's certainly a deterrent for many). In fact, in the unit I'm looking into, I couldn't even close on the unit if there were any outstanding/unpaid HOA fees.
Except he's wrong. HOA's can certainly fine homeowners for noncompliance.

There are certain HOAs out there that are "voluntary" that probably do not have any sort of enforcement powers, my parents have also lived in a home in one of those neighborhoods, and yes, the HOA couldn't enforce anything. The homeowner just had to comply with city regulations.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:48 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Except he's wrong. HOA's can certainly fine homeowners for noncompliance.

There are certain HOAs out there that are "voluntary" that probably do not have any sort of enforcement powers, my parents have also lived in a home in one of those neighborhoods, and yes, the HOA couldn't enforce anything. The homeowner just had to comply with city regulations.
Thanks for that clarification! The blanket statement by the other member did seem a bit off, but I wasn't sure.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:49 PM

117 posts, read 161,182 times
+carpeted bedrooms/living rooms (I like flooring in these spaces to be warm and cushy)
+some "split level" floor plans (though I hate "split entry" plans)
+stained oak cabinets (I like the look of most stained wood better than just about anything painted, "outdated" or not)
+location, lot, and neighborhood (generally) more important than the actual house
+fence (have kids and a dog)

-HOAs
-gas fireplaces (has to be wood - I like building a real fire)
-built ins (reduced flexibility in room layout)
-new construction (usually lower quality construction and lesser location than older neighborhoods), especially big boxy McMansions on smallish lots with immature/no trees and little to no yard privacy
-extensive, high maintenance landscaping
-high square footage, say > 3000 square feet (more costly to heat/cool/maintain)
-private swimming pool (maintenance and liability nightmare, and consumes whole yard unless you have a large lot)
-white kitchens
-stainless steel appliances and granite countertops (I don't actually dislike these, but they aren't upgrades on which I would personally choose to spend my money)
-the current societal expectation of updated kitchens and bathrooms. A seemingly discretionary thing turned requirement in our current day and age that increases the overall cost of housing. Now along with necessary maintenance costs (roof, siding, HVAC, etc), we're expected to shell out tens of thousands of dollars every so often to rip out perfectly functional ones just to keep up with the latest trends.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:50 PM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
Minuses for me:
• Stainless steel appliances
• Garages that don't face the street – sideways ones look weird, and rear-facing ones don't get used – people just park on the street in front of the house.
• Small lot (houses too close together)
• HOA
• Fireplace
• Giant master bedroom
• "Close to shopping, entertainment, easy access to freeway, etc!" - ugh, noise and traffic
• "New urbanism" – this has failed in every place it has been tried here. Being able to walk to the nail salon and the donut shop doesn’t help when I have to get in my vehicle and drive to get toilet paper and milk.
• HOA
• Vaulted/cathedral ceilings
• Colonial style columns (exterior) on 2-story houses
• Hardwood floors
• Stacked washer/dryer

Pluses for me:
• Carpeting
• Smaller rooms (not a fan of giant spaces)
• Siding (I don't hate it, anyway)

Old 06-28-2016, 02:16 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
Dislikes that others seem to like:
-#1 - Sink in the island (absolute deal breaker, I strongly prefer nothing in the island, but would rather have the stove there than the sink)
-Built-ins (I have yet to see any I like)
-Fussy backsplashes (and almost all of them are fussy to me)
-Hot tub
-Swimming pool
-Small windows
-Windows that don't at least partially open (unless it's something like a wall of glass which is different IMO)
-Ceiling fans and mirrors in any room but the bathroom give me the creeps
-A big yard
-Big laundry rooms
-Microwave over stove (I'm tall and I hate cooking with my face in a microwave)
-Living room plus family room (or great room or whatever) - srsly?
-wooden decks that are not second story decks (don't care for a wood platform on the ground)
-carpeted bedrooms
-wall-mounted tv's in every room (or any room for that matter)
-whole house audio
-granite
-open floor plan*

Likes that others seem to dislike:
+garage off alley
+nice big tub
+vessel sink (back to being tall, vessel sinks usually sit above the counter which means I have to stoop less to use them)
+pocket doors (they can really make a room seem more open)
+open shelving in kitchen
+stainless steel appliances (I just like things that are metallic and shiny )
+open floor plan*

*To me open floor plans are not all created equal. Functionally, I like them a lot. I entertain frequently and my friends expect to be like family, we all prep, cook and clean together - that can get cramped unless the kitchen is open. In some houses they seem to work great, but in others they make the rooms look small and cluttered. I really like the kitchen and dining room to flow together, but I prefer a bit of separation from the living room. I don't really like all three to be one long space.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:49 PM

524 posts, read 574,191 times
Fireplaces- I never use them and they just seem to cause problems with furniture layout.
Separate tub and shower- I still prefer a tub/shower combo or just a shower. That separate tub collects dust and needs to be cleaned.
Large master suites- I have a whole house, I don't need a huge retreat.

ETA: But the main one is fireplaces.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:55 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Interesting thread.

I'm getting ready to update my bathroom before i list my house, and was going to go with a double-sink. Now i'm not so sure!

Old 06-28-2016, 03:29 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Interesting thread.

I'm getting ready to update my bathroom before i list my house, and was going to go with a double-sink. Now i'm not so sure!
Well, if I have learned anything from this thread, it is that I now very much doubt if any design choice will please everyone, so I think that people should not put any money into their home except for actual repairs (and also doing things that will definitely improve the general appeal of the house, such as keeping the house clean and the lawn mowed).

I mean, why waste money in putting in or redoing something that a potential buyer might just rip out and replace anyway? Perhaps it would be smarter to offer some kind of "redecorating rebate" instead? (Just a thought. )

P.S. In reading some of the posts, though, that list so many likes and/or dislikes, it makes me wonder if some people would ever be happy buying a previously owned home unless they had a good-sized budget for redecorating and/or remodeling!

Last edited by katharsis; 06-28-2016 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate