Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 08:02 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I have a huge window in my bedroom that has blinds. In the winter, they are closed. In the summer, I never close them! I like the soft early morning light filtering in starting at 4:30 am...do I get up then? Nope! I don't roll out of bed until 2-3 hours later, but it is such a nice way to gently and slowly wake up. A huge bonus is when I leave the window open - the birds start chirping, and that is entertainment for my cats, so they will very happily sit the open window and bird watch, rather than wake me up.
Oh, Peach ... you are too sweet for me! I'm cranky in the morning & don't like to hear the birds!
But I do welcome the light slowly arriving in my master bath's skylight. Wakes me up ... yes, gently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 08:06 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Dark bedrooms are depressing to most people. Just take a good look at how many people are on antidepressives. It shows that in general people are depressed. Ad a dark gloomy place in the daytime and they get even more depressed. When you turn out the light at night it is dark anyhow and it dosent matter if your room is bright and airy.
People with dark bedrooms must be depressed? Okay then.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
We have a light and bright master suite that's probably bigger than the last 1BR apartment my wife and I shared... and I absolutely love it. We have three generations living under one roof now, so we appreciate having a nice oasis to retreat to. It's where we can work without being bothered, watch Game of Thrones/House of Cards/etc. without worrying about impressionable eyes/ears and where we can, in general, just relax.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:46 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Personally I have a hard time getting up in the morning if it is dark no matter how much sleep I have gotten. I like waking up to sunny and bright. One can always darken a bright room but near impossible to brighten a dark room.
Makes sense. Thanks for a different perspective.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:50 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I am seeing a few homes with a sky light, right above the bed. Doesn"t make sense to me.
What a terrible place for a skylight. Better have a dark shade that can be pulled although a great idea for star gazing haha. I live in Florida and have NEVER seen this anywhere. Skylights in general have gone out of style, mainly due to leak potential and summers can be very rainy.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
My bedroom is an oasis.

My walls are chocolate brown and my curtains are chocolate brown velvet and gold as is my duvet.

My husband sleeps in a mask.

We sleep very, very well.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:54 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
I keep my bedroom blacked out too, but find myself... embarrassed of it, for some reason? Like the only reason someone blacks out a room is for dismembering bodies or something similarly nefarious. I even shut the door usually when company comes over.
You remind me of when we were looking to buy a coop. We went to this one apartment and the realtor says, "It's a little dark in here --- the guy sleeps nights so he likes it dark." (I also did at the time and I still do so...) We walked in and the entire apartment was like that---and yes, it had an entire creep factor going for it. Not only was it dark everywhere (he even had the window panes directly covered with some stuff) including the living room but he had random, creepy stuff everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
People go to bed when it's dark outside at night.
Unfortunately I am usually just waking up when it's getting dark outside. In fact, I am about to go to bed on this lovely day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I work nights also, and have the room darkening curtains, however I just keep them that was all the time for my days off when I can sleep longer.
I meant to quote your thing about skylights---that, to me, is a different animal. Forget about even the lights---once it starts to rain, it is VERY loud. I like the sound when you're sitting around the LR but my coworker has a skylight or two in her bedroom and every time it rains, she says it wakes her up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I do. I live alone and I always sleep with the windows open. I am on the first floor, but I have never been a big worrier about crime or people breaking in. I don't live in an area where that's a big concern, although it can happen anywhere. But I've got a very small condo, and behind me are huge McMansions, so I'd think a burglar would rather go to their houses than mine. Anyone breaking in here looking for goodies would be sadly disappointed.
I live in a pretty safe neighborhood and probably the majority of the crimes are break-ins. I also live in an area with multi-million dollar homes but those usually have security systems so they like breaking into apartments more often than houses at times.

I try to keep my bedroom window (second floor) open as much as I can. I do leave the LR window open sometimes, which isn't the best thing since I have a fire escape right there, but like you if they break-in they will be disappointed: (1) an eight year old TV (2) an equally old computer with an awful CPU (3) other old computers (4) older video game systems. I have no cash, no jewelry and nothing fancy.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
What a ridiculous thing to argue about! Of all the things that cause genuine conflict in the world, this is worthy of debate? People like different things. I'm early to bed, early to rise. There's no need for me to have a dark bedroom, and I prefer light walls and open window blinds, so I can awaken naturally with the morning light. I also use my bedroom as a retreat from the rest of the household when I need some time alone, so a reading chair is a welcome addition to my bedroom.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:41 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What a ridiculous thing to argue about! Of all the things that cause genuine conflict in the world, this is worthy of debate? People like different things. I'm early to bed, early to rise. There's no need for me to have a dark bedroom, and I prefer light walls and open window blinds, so I can awaken naturally with the morning light. I also use my bedroom as a retreat from the rest of the household when I need some time alone, so a reading chair is a welcome addition to my bedroom.
Then just scroll on by. No one is forcing you to read this and/or reply.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:03 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

Yep, those of us who live in the north get great early sunrises and late sunsets. It's awesome!

Not only does the sun rise at 5:30, it does not set until after 9 pm! So we get that gentle early light at 5 am, as well as that long lingering light until 9:30.
Get back to us in December and January and tell us about your sunrises and sunsets.

Our bedroom has east-facing windows and I like that, because we get up early (6 AM) all year round. However, after getting up in the morning, I don't spend loads of time in the bedroom, so I don't mind at all that once the sun gets up past those windows, it's not so light any more. I definitely do not care that the late afternoon/evening sun coming doesn't come into the bedroom.

Last edited by saibot; 07-03-2016 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate