Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:23 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,952 times

Advertisements

I am selling my home, received and offer, and currently in the due diligence phase of the contract.

We just had our buyer-initiated home inspection and was somewhat surprised by how intrusive it was . . .

I thought they were supposed to be more observational but in this case i feel they went too far.
  • There is insulation all over my floors where the accessed the attic.
  • There are dirty fingerprints all over my ceiling on and around the attic hatches.
  • My child's toys were removed from the closet and left in a pile.
  • About half my circuit breakers were tripped and not reset.
  • No GFIs were reset.
  • All my doors were left unlocked.

And i guess what irritates me more than anything is that I was not permitted to be here but the buyers were here alongside the inspector. Oh, and we also dont get to see the report, just the items the buyers want remedied.

I'm surprised at how one-sided this process is; I've not yet received any remedy requests but I'm not feelign very good about it even though I've been here for 7 years without a single issue.

is this the typical process and if so, why does the seller get left out of the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 06:38 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,408,664 times
You have a right to be upset if they left such a mess. It sounds like they hired a clumsy, rude inspector.

It's your house, though. You should have stayed during the inspection if you wanted to.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
You have a right to be upset if they left such a mess. It sounds like they hired a clumsy, rude inspector.

It's your house, though. You should have stayed during the inspection if you wanted to.
I was advised not to be there as it was paid for by the buyer, not me.

The mess was easy to clean up, I was just expecting it to be mroe professional.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:13 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
There's a difference between "being there" and "inserting yourself into the process."

Old 06-30-2016, 07:16 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
As far as the report goes, no - you don't have any right to see it, as the buyers paid for it. Not only that, you don't necessarily WANT to see it, since if you know about something that is indicated as a defect or not to code in the house (whether the buyer wants it fixed or not), you now must disclose it in all future transactions if this sale does not go through.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
As far as the report goes, no - you don't have any right to see it, as the buyers paid for it. Not only that, you don't necessarily WANT to see it, since if you know about something that is indicated as a defect or not to code in the house (whether the buyer wants it fixed or not), you now must disclose it in all future transactions if this sale does not go through.

that makes sense, thank you

I don't anticipate any issues as the home is newish... but you never know . . .

Old 06-30-2016, 07:23 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
the unlocked doors is honestly about the only thing to be upset about.

You said the mess was easy to clean up. You sounds like a wonderful person, but noticing fingerprints is excruciatingly observant - I've never used an inspector whose hands were so dirty anything they touched got dirty. They usually take their shoes off inside to make sure they're not causing a mess, and any dirty work (crawlspace) they do last.

The insulation had most likely collected in the ladder, or right along the edge. Or are you talking about more than 1 cup of bits and pieces?

The toys? I've had inspectors (when i was the listing agent and not there) refuse to inspect items - like maybe the water shutoff? - because they said there were items in the way. If they left it in a messy pile as if they had merely chucked the toys out of the closet and then swept them into a pile? Sure. But again, you sound like a very neat & orderly person.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Sure. But again, you sound like a very neat & orderly person.
I'm only neat and orderly b/c my home is on the market and if this sale were to fall through, showings will pick back up. See, in fact, I am just lazy

Old 06-30-2016, 07:51 AM

455 posts, read 463,839 times
Three things. First, the fact that the house was left unlocked is a huge issue. I hope your agent informed the buyer's agent of that. I would not ever, EVER use an inspector again if he or she had done that.

Second, to correct the record and agree with Bungalove, the buyer pays for the inspection. You don't want to see a copy of it because if the sale falls through you will have to disclose anything found on the survey, and in Texas, you'd have to attach a copy of the inspection to the seller's disclosure.

Third, the owner should not be present during the inspection. See the paragraph above. Also, the buyer usually shows up the last 45 minutes of the inspection and the inspector reviews the report. You should not be present for that as it has the potential to degenerate into an argument over picky stuff.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:58 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
I would really be mad that my doors were left unlocked.

Maybe don't rock the boat until you hear if they claim they found any issues. Then ask the buyer's side if they even used a professional company and register a complaint with the company. Was someone planning to come back later and that's why the doors were left unlocked.

Why were they unlocking doors and leaving them all that way anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate