Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:54 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,243 times

Advertisements

Would adding closets to two existing rooms so I can legally call them bedrooms and have them count in an appraisal also result in higher property taxes right out the gate? House is on sewer and has 4 bedrooms with closets and two bedrooms without closets. Because they have no closets they are not technically bedrooms. I want to add closets built into the walls so I can have the house appraise for cash out refinance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 12:05 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,964 times
Closets are not legally required for a room to be a bedroom, but there are other legal requirements. But I agree, most people would want a closet! You can find the other requirements online if you're unsure of them.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:22 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,393,765 times
Better check this out thoroughly because here, if you exceed 5 bedrooms you can be required to upgrade your septic tank! If you're on city sewer tho, probably not a concern.

Do they also have windows?

Old 07-10-2016, 12:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Closets are not legally required for a room to be a bedroom, but there are other legal requirements. But I agree, most people would want a closet! You can find the other requirements online if you're unsure of them.
This is regional. Wherever I have lived a closet is required to be a bedroom. I would check with your county office. When we went to upgrade our home in NJ taxes were hot immediately.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:15 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
As far as I know, a closet is also required in this area for it to be a bedroom. Isn't property tax pretty much based on sq. footage though?

Old 07-10-2016, 04:30 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Do you need to pull permits for them? Where we are, you wouldn't need permits because there is no electricity (I'm assuming) or plumbing being run to them, they are not structural, and you are not adding square footage. If there are no permits pulled, then the taxing authority doesn't need to (and won't) even know that you have 2 additional bedrooms.

Where do you live? That will make a big difference.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Here it requires a closet and a window large enough to climb out in a fire. The property taxes here are based on the annual appraisal by the tax assessor, who will consider a sale price and comparables. It does not take an increase in square footage to increase taxes, in fact most projects requiring a permit can add value and increase taxes, which is the real reason for requiring permits. In the case of adding closets there would not be any need for permits, so it's unlikely they would know about it until sold. The appraiser, however, may not consider 6 bedrooms to be worth more than 4 bedrooms plus den and home office, or whatever they are used for. It depends on the other homes in the area, and what the demand is for that many bedrooms. As long as the closets don't take up too much space, it would certainly be beneficial when you go to sell, as it would offer a lot of flexibility. We have 4 bedrooms, plus a downstairs room and large one over the garage
that both have windows and closets, built that way, and the county considers it to be 5 bedrooms for some reason.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:32 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Another requirement for a bedroom is that a Walk-thru” room (one that can only be accessed through another room) cannot be considered a bedroom because it lacks privacy.

It also has to be at least 70 sq ft, but another bedroom in the home has to be at least 120 sq ft, and both sides of the room have to be at least 7 feet wide.

If you have an older home you can have a bedroom that is not 7 feet wide and not have another 100 sq ft room and still be grandfathered in as 2 bedrooms.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:03 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here it requires a closet and a window large enough to climb out in a fire. The property taxes here are based on the annual appraisal by the tax assessor, who will consider a sale price and comparables. It does not take an increase in square footage to increase taxes, in fact most projects requiring a permit can add value and increase taxes, which is the real reason for requiring permits. In the case of adding closets there would not be any need for permits, so it's unlikely they would know about it until sold. The appraiser, however, may not consider 6 bedrooms to be worth more than 4 bedrooms plus den and home office, or whatever they are used for. It depends on the other homes in the area, and what the demand is for that many bedrooms. As long as the closets don't take up too much space, it would certainly be beneficial when you go to sell, as it would offer a lot of flexibility. We have 4 bedrooms, plus a downstairs room and large one over the garage
that both have windows and closets, built that way, and the county considers it to be 5 bedrooms for some reason.
I am in King County/Seattle area of Washington. So sounds like I don't need a permit and it won't affect my taxes. Does the closet have to be built into the wall? I can't just get an IKEA closet and stick it in or can I?

Each of the rooms has a window. I'm considering doing it to pull out cash in a refi. It would give me a lot more equity since the rooms would finally be counted in the sf.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Closets are not removeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate