Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times

Advertisements

I know C of O refers to certificate of occupancy but when they say 'owner' to obtain town c of o... are they talking about the current owners or the 'new' owners.
What does getting a new CofO entail? If I chose this house what would I have to go through to get a new C of O?

This particular house is in NJ. I understand NJ is pretty strict.

This is from the ad...

Ranch with separate entrance to full finished basement offering an eat-in kitchen, full bath, living room, den, for possible mother/daughter arrangement . Owner to obtain town "C of O".

thanks...

ellie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 11:38 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Certificate of occupancy.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:59 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I imagine it was either a non-permitted conversion or a permitted one that never had a a final inspection and CO issued. In either case, it sounds like the seller is going to get the issue resolved prior to closing but you always want to be sure that the contract is very specific on what has to happen, when it has to happen by, who is responsible for making it happen on time, and what happens if it is not done on time.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:02 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
When this appears on a RE listing, it's usually the case for the new buyer to obtain C/O. Seller is not going to guarantee that you are able to obtain C/O. I am assuming this is a listing for a home with say with a 2nd kitchen. Just note not being able to get C/O is not something you will be able to use to get out of contract.

You may want to contact the township and do some digging with the property in question first.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:42 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
In a case like this you want the current seller to get the CO. It sounds as if work was done in the basement that was not permitted.

It is possible that the town will find something wrong with the basement finish and require repairs /and/or the kitchen to be removed. As a buyer you want this taken care of before you buy the house.

If you really want this house, put it in your sales contract that the seller is obtain the CO prior to closing and is responsible for all costs and repairs required to get the CO. This is not the buyer's responsibility.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:51 PM

33 posts, read 31,584 times
Yes make sure all c/o's have been obtained before signing.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:00 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw View Post
Yes make sure all c/o's have been obtained before signing.

The problem is that a lot of towns don't do C of O until a week or two before closing. It is red flag when a listing includes wording of obtaining C of O for "advertised/suggested" use space. It's usually a sign that there may be issue getting one. Otherwise, current own would have gotten one already.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:57 PM

Judging from what you guys have said and the little I do know, I don't think I want to get involved with something like this. I was just attracted to the area and price but it really sounds like it would be a potential pain in the butt. Not only that but I realized that even if they do issue a new C of O, the property tax will probably go up and that's something I'd like to avoid.

Fortunately, there's plenty of homes like this in those areas so I'll just keep on looking.

Thank you all for your responses.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:50 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
'owner' is ambiguous. It should say 'seller' or 'buyer' on all terms that involve seller or buyer. This is sloppy work by the listing agent. Don't assume anything.

If this is a FSBO, it likely refers to seller. Still, don't assume anything

Old 07-12-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
'owner' is ambiguous. It should say 'seller' or 'buyer' on all terms that involve seller or buyer. This is sloppy work by the listing agent. Don't assume anything.

If this is a FSBO, it likely refers to seller. Still, don't assume anything
Its not a FSBO. That was written by a real estate agent or whomever writes those things for the MLS. I agree the word 'owner' is a too ambiguous and that just makes me want to stay away from this house even more. I don't need a house with problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate