Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 06:24 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times

Advertisements

Sue everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 07:21 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
13 pages and one of the very few threads where posters ALL agree but of course ... OP still doesn't get it.
I was thinking the same thing.

I recently sold our condo. The closing was scheduled for late Thursday afternoon. The new owners had an entire crew of workman (carpenters, dry wallers, painters, whatever.) scheduled to arrive at 8 AM on Friday. I can not even imagine what would have happened if I had still been living there instead of completely out.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:36 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Perhaps the op has dementia setting in, or something. If so, it's sad that there wasn't a family member to help her move and meet deadlines.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:55 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffin View Post
My house closed escrow and the realtor had me fill out a three day admendment because escrow had not closed on my new house yet. The three days came around and escrow still had not closed. I told my realtor she should contact the new buyers and tell them they can't move in yet because I had not moved out yet.

Please advise. thank you
1. You sold house
2. You didn't pack or arrange to live somewhere else
3. Buyers wanted their house
4. Your realtor did nothing wrong...she sold your house and that is what her job is/was.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Note to sellers....when you close, unless you have something in writing prior to close, be out of your house by closing. Don't assume you will get any extensions to any temporary leaseback after closing. YOU NO Longer Own THE house.
actually in some states you own the house for the whole day......sell at 9am and you still own it until midnight that day.

I have never had the issue (bought last house new construction so we started moving in same day as closing). Sold other houses after we moved out (place was empty for weeks).

Old 07-16-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I find it sad too. We all agree that the OP had issues, but she also got a raw deal from her agent.
I suspect the agent worked her a$$ off with this client.......probably a nightmare deal from the get go

Old 07-16-2016, 09:22 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I suspect the agent worked her a$$ off with this client.......probably a nightmare deal from the get go

If the OP is a troll, then this thread should have ended a while ago. Let's assume she is not.

What she did or failed to do may be obvious to most of us, but that doesn't mean that its obvious to everybody. Is it really so hard to believe that someone who is inexperienced in RE transactions, or is an older person, or is otherwise dealing with some emotional issues, may think that the stages of the buying/selling process are all tied together, and when one thing stops everything else in the process stops? I think we've all made stupid mistakes during the course of our lives, because we didn't know any better. This particular error is not so unique.

At least she was together enough to retain an agent, who accepted what was likely a significant amount of money from the OP -- an woman in the process of retirement. The agent may have worked hard at first, until she decided to stop working. Again -- what is the purpose of an agent if not to explain everything to the client and to stay on top of the situation? I will pose this question again -- who on this Forum would be willing to retain this person, at a rate of 5-6% of sale price for their RE deal?

This sure is one tough crowd here on CD; the responses might have been different if we were in the Retirement Forum, where aging is better understood. Anyway, I think the OP has gotten the message by now.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 07-16-2016 at 09:34 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 09:37 AM

145 posts, read 167,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Yes, I'm beginning to think I'm Retired Now is having a good laugh that this went to 14 pages. I didn't notice until now that this is a first post.
Agreed. This person shows up almost daily with a ridiculous post/problem.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
The closing is where you legally settle any debts against your ownership of the house and transfer ownership from you as the seller to the new owners as the buyer. You sign a legal document, and it's the law that the bank or representative lawyer must explain each step of the process to your satisfaction and understanding. Sorry schaffin, this was your bad, it was more stressful than it had to be due to your actions in not understanding the process and not taking the responsibility to prepare to sell and move from your home. Hopefully, you have learned from it.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:31 AM

9 posts, read 8,512 times
I would hypothesize that the seller may never have sold a home before. S/he may be a new widow/er and have never handled something like this.

I say this because I am searching for a reason the seller seems so out of it.

Good luck to him/her in the future. Perhaps in other important situations s/he should consult someone with more recent experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate