Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 02:32 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
She asked her RE Agent to request more time. Agent said no. But from the rest of that message the Agent did not tell her she had to be out...which would have been the normal message to go with the no.
My guess is that if we were hearing the other side of the story from the agent, we'd hear "I have this nightmare of a client. I have told her over and over and over again that after closing, the house belongs to the buyer. She thinks she can just say as long as she wants, because she wants to take her time moving out. I called in a ton of favors and managed to get the buyer to agree to a 3 day written extension, but no, that's not good enough. She thinks they should be willing to leave it open ended and let her just stay there until she's ready to go.

And as you might guess, she didn't have her act together so the closing on the house she's buying is delayed. I have suggested she pack all of her stuff into pods and find some temp housing but she doesn't want "to have to move twice" and spend the extra money, so she expects her buyers to just accommodate this as if they don't have a deadline to get out of their current place and haven't hired movers already"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:34 PM

564 posts, read 873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
She asked her RE Agent to request more time. Agent said no. But from the rest of that message the Agent did not tell her she had to be out...which would have been the normal message to go with the no.
The OP made the following comment: "Since all of this has happened I have not spoken to my realtor. She will not talk to me because she said I told her to get out of my house."

It appears that the agent attempted to speak to the OP and didn't like what she had to say and told the agent to leave.

As said before, we are just getting the OP's perspective, which still is not good. Imagine what the agent would say and the story only gets worse for the OP.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:39 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
It's long past time for this thread to go away.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:37 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Given your experience in RE, you don't know that this is a civil matter and the police would have told you politely to go pound sand?

Not in South Florida. This ain't Kansas Dorothy.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:42 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Not in South Florida. This ain't Kansas Dorothy.

OK -- I had to come back.
Are you saying that in South Florida its fair game to ask cops to toss a freeloading tenant or former owner out? And they may actually do it? In spite of all those billboards all over the roads with lawyer's faces plastered on them?

Old 07-16-2016, 04:46 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo13 View Post
it's long past time for this thread to go away.
+1

Old 07-16-2016, 04:59 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
OK -- I had to come back.
Are you saying that in South Florida its fair game to ask cops to toss a freeloading tenant or former owner out? And they may actually do it? In spite of all those billboards all over the roads with lawyer's faces plastered on them?
Because of the massive amount of foreclosures we had, South Florida had a real problem with squatters.

For a while, there were so many squatters here in South Florida, I was told to call the police if anyone was in an empty home I was showing. My coworkers have horror stories.

To this day, I will not show an empty home by myself. In fact, the school where I got my license encouraged us to get a concealed permit license and carry a gun.

Yes, the police will physically remove you here.

Don't forget, South Florida is a whole different country than the rest of the US.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:08 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Because of the massive amount of foreclosures we had, South Florida had a real problem with squatters.

For a while, there were so many squatters here in South Florida, I was told to call the police if anyone was in an empty home I was showing. My coworkers have horror stories.

To this day, I will not show an empty home by myself. In fact, the school where I got my license encouraged us to get a concealed permit license and carry a gun.

Yes, the police will physically remove you here.

Don't forget, South Florida is a whole different country than the rest of the US.

Fair enough, but that was a pretty unique set of circumstances in a very special place. Once upon a time, in my turbulent youth, I worked as a tenant's advocate at the City of NY Housing Court in Brooklyn. I learned first hand just how long you could draw out an eviction if you really wanted to. I eventually started feeling sorry for some of the landlords and lost my taste for the job.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but that was a pretty unique set of circumstances in a very special place. Once upon a time, in my turbulent youth, I worked as a tenant's advocate at the City of NY Housing Court in Brooklyn. I learned first hand just how long you could draw out an eviction if you really wanted to. I eventually started feeling sorry for some of the landlords and lost my taste for the job.
It also is not true. There are laws in Florida that provide for a trespasser to be removed but this person is no trespasser. S. FL police will still declare it to be a civil matter and the buyer will have to go off and use an unlawful detainer action to get her out.

In fact if she was the hard boiled case portrayed by some all she had to do was tell the buyer to go to hell and she had at least three more days.

This is also true virtually everywhere. It is why you generally don't allow a closing if the place is not vacant.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:20 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
I can see where this could happen. I sold my house and the day after it was sold, which was a Friday, my realtor came to me and said I had the weekend to move out. The problem was, I wasn't told the house had sold until Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate