Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:07 AM

132 posts, read 173,998 times

Advertisements

When you SELL your house, that means it no longer YOURS..... Why would you possibly think the OWNER gives a rats butt about you and has to accommodate you? You are a stranger and at this point a squatter. To the jerk who said shame the realtor, for what? The seller is the person in the wrong 100 percent and is trespassing.
I suggest you take your check and move to a hotel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 10:27 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Marketable title is a legal term. It means there are no clouds on title (liens, judgments, encroachments). An owner staying past the expiration of the Occupancy after Closing agreement does not affect marketable title. It's closed when money changes hands means the owner has received payment for the home. Not that the money is being held in escrow.

You do a great job of making yourself sound like you know what you're talking about by throwing some terminology around but to anyone with actual knowledge it's evident you only half informed. I'm not e iven going to bother getting into the rest because it's just going to be a waste of my time.

That's the problem with real estate-everyone thinks they are an expert.
More nonsense. That is a direct quote from A Residential Purchase Agreement. Too bad you have never read one.

And what comes to mind immediately is "if the shoe fits wear it". And the shoe sure fits you.

And of course you won't respond to the rest...because you have none.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:36 AM

132 posts, read 173,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Name and shame the realtor.
Why? What exactly did the realtor do wrong? She sold the writers home and found her a new one. The seller is wrong and unreasonable. She has no business staying in the house she sold. Shame on you for wanting to shame a realtor for doing her job

Old 07-18-2016, 10:43 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Years ago, it was the custom in my state to not move out of the house until after closing even if the title company had their ducks in a row.

I learned a good lesson about dual agency. We closed, went back to our town to load up and move. We gave the sellers a week to move out.

We pulled up in front of our week old purchase to find the sellers still packing and moving. Told them the van was on the way. The van got there and started moving our stuff in while my family was packing up their stuff. To top it off, they had a kitchen fire and I had to buy new cooktop and hood. That meant new oven too. That sumbitch seller owned a State Farm agency.

We needed to get in before school started and that Highland Park displaced housewife selling real estate was useless. The lawsuit would have been more trouble than it was worth. Just dragging out the misery for 2 more years.

The only times I have been screwed in 17 moves was when i was stupid enough to accept dual agency.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
When I bought my first home, the seller was a NIGHTMARE. After she signed the contract, I had to schedule an inspection. The seller made scheduling the inspection especially difficult, and wanted all the realtors there during the inspection. I had to be there per the inspector. The realtors and I sat in the kitchen during the inspection, only leaving when the inspector wanted to show us something. Then the inspector went over the report with all of us. After he was done, I wanted to take some pictures of the exterior of the house, and while I was taking pictures the realtors left. Locking up the house, and my purse inside. I called my realtor, who had another appointment, but suggested I wait for the seller to come home. As if I had a choice. The seller came home, and refused to give me my purse. One of her neighbors ended up giving me a ride home. Her realtor had to negotiate the release of my purse.

Then, AT the closing, the seller decided she wouldn't pay any of the closing costs, even though in the contract it stated that she would be responsible for some of those costs. The bank officer had to inform her that if she didn't follow the terms of the contract, that the buyer could sue her, not just for those contracted costs, but for the entire value of the house. At which point, she informed us that she was not ready to leave, but would remain in the house for an additional week. The bank officer then flipped to the section of the contract that showed she had to be out of the house at closing, and asked me what I wanted to do. The bank was prepared to contact the county sheriff at that point. I asked her if she could remove everything from the house in the next two hours, storing it in the garage, because I would be having the locks changed later that afternoon. She flung the keys at us, at this point, and stormed out of the closing.

I can't be sympathetic with the OP in this, because her behavior was so selfish and disrespectful to the new owners. She got an extension of three days, and there is no excuse for her not to have been out at the end of those three days. The fact that she had gotten an extension in the first place should have made her realize that she needed to be out of the house.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:25 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Houses dont just sell. You have to have a closing and sign paperwork. So you knew the house sold. Why did you need longer than a weekend to move? You knew you were moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Negative. A seller knows when his/her house sells. Realtors can't close on a house for you. The seller must sign the house over to the buyers. The seller either has to be present for the sale (almost all instances), or must Docusign the paperwork which stipulates the exact closing date. You look at the calendar and know when you have to leave. It's not difficult. Besides, there is the obvious matter of what a sale is. Everyone knows that when they sell any item, they know longer own it, so in the matter of a home sale, once they sell it, they must leave the property. It's not theirs to live in anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Meaning you had an offer, or the transaction closed? You have to sign numerous papers before closing. If you had an offer, you would have had to mutually decide on the closing date. There is no way it should have been a surprise.
Let's try this again.

I had been trying all summer to sell my house. Numerous people had looked at it. On Friday, my realtor told me that someone wanted to buy my house, but I would have to be out by Monday. I signed those papers on Friday knowing full well I needed to be out on Monday. So, no, in technical terms, I didn't "sell" it on Thursday and I "agreed" to moving out that soon. What I am saying is, as a first time homeowner, I wasn't expecting the process to be so quick, especially after trying to sell all summer. I had always been a renter and thought I would have till the first of the next month or at the very least, a week to move out.

I did have things packed up, but it would have been very difficult to try to move into a rental and tell my prospective landlord that, "Gee, I don't know for sure when I'll be moving in. It's whenever the house sells." Unfortunately, I was unemployed at the time and had no way to pay both the house payment and rent at the same time. Before I could sell, I had to have the septic system pumped and the *&^%$ Scotch Broom cut down, and I had to wait till the house sold before I could pay those guys (which turned out to be pretty common in that area). I had barely enough money to get a U-Haul to move my stuff on Saturday.

And I never met the new owners. I was gone the day the realtor took them through the house.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:32 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Let's try this again.

I had been trying all summer to sell my house. Numerous people had looked at it. On Friday, my realtor told me that someone wanted to buy my house, but I would have to be out by Monday. I signed those papers on Friday knowing full well I needed to be out on Monday. So, no, in technical terms, I didn't "sell" it on Thursday and I "agreed" to moving out that soon. What I am saying is, as a first time homeowner, I wasn't expecting the process to be so quick, especially after trying to sell all summer. I had always been a renter and thought I would have till the first of the next month or at the very least, a week to move out.

I did have things packed up, but it would have been very difficult to try to move into a rental and tell my prospective landlord that, "Gee, I don't know for sure when I'll be moving in. It's whenever the house sells." Unfortunately, I was unemployed at the time and had no way to pay both the house payment and rent at the same time. Before I could sell, I had to have the septic system pumped and the *&^%$ Scotch Broom cut down, and I had to wait till the house sold before I could pay those guys (which turned out to be pretty common in that area). I had barely enough money to get a U-Haul to move my stuff on Saturday.

And I never met the new owners. I was gone the day the realtor took them through the house.
Sorry but it makes even less sense now. There is no such thing as a 2 day closing on a house. When did you actually get the money from the sale of the house? That is when you needed to be out. And even with a cash sale, there are still legal formalities to go through that take longer than a weekend.

The buyer has no legal right to be in the house until they've paid for it, and it would be ill-advised to let them take possession prior to that because if the sale never went through for some reason (and that is not all that uncommon), they are living in your house, maybe paying rent but maybe not, and you could end up having to evict them to get them out.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
She did back you up. She managed to get 3 days extension on your move out. Did you pay rent for those 3 days you were living in the buyers house, or did she get the buyers to give it to you for free? It sounds like you had a delay on your purchase and you expected everyone else to change their plans to accommodate you.
It wasn't their house. The deal hadn't closed. I would have told them if they were so casual about the closing they could stay in a motel.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It wasn't their house. The deal hadn't closed. I would have told them if they were so casual about the closing they could stay in a motel.
The deal had closed. It's the very FIRST sentence of the very FIRST post on this thread.

The deal to sell her house had closed. She got a three day extension to get her stuff packed and out of the house. The deal to buy her new house had not closed. So she thought she could stay in the house she'd sold until closing on her new house. The new owners wouldn't give her any more extensions, they wanted her out of THEIR house.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:56 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
LOL - here's an alternate story.

When we sold our last house, it was on a handshake. Never had a contract, just escrow instructions. Our buyer, a neighbor's son, gave us three MONTHS rent free to finish and move to our new house. They even helped with the heavy stuff. We are all still friends.

We used all three months to finish construction and about a month to pack and move part time.

In the OPs defense, she could have refused and forced an eviction process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate