Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 03:25 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times

Advertisements

When I sold my house, I couldn't get the renters of my other house to move out. I had to put everything I owned in storage, and then move in with a friend for 11 days, until the renters finally got out.

For awhile it looked like I would be living with the friend for 6 months.

When you close escrow and everybody signs, you cannot live there anymore unless you made a rental agreement with the new owners, and paid them rent for the time.

It is what it is. You need to address your sense of entitlement.

Put yourself in their shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 04:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Years ago, it was the custom in my state to not move out of the house until after closing even if the title company had their ducks in a row.

I learned a good lesson about dual agency. We closed, went back to our town to load up and move. We gave the sellers a week to move out.

We pulled up in front of our week old purchase to find the sellers still packing and moving. Told them the van was on the way. The van got there and started moving our stuff in while my family was packing up their stuff. To top it off, they had a kitchen fire and I had to buy new cooktop and hood. That meant new oven too. That sumbitch seller owned a State Farm agency.

We needed to get in before school started and that Highland Park displaced housewife selling real estate was useless. The lawsuit would have been more trouble than it was worth. Just dragging out the misery for 2 more years.

The only times I have been screwed in 17 moves was when i was stupid enough to accept dual agency.
We've done rent backs, where it is agreed upon at the time the offer is made. Either way, it is set early in the transaction. Move out date shouldn't be a surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Let's try this again.

I had been trying all summer to sell my house. Numerous people had looked at it. On Friday, my realtor told me that someone wanted to buy my house, but I would have to be out by Monday. I signed those papers on Friday knowing full well I needed to be out on Monday. So, no, in technical terms, I didn't "sell" it on Thursday and I "agreed" to moving out that soon. What I am saying is, as a first time homeowner, I wasn't expecting the process to be so quick, especially after trying to sell all summer. I had always been a renter and thought I would have till the first of the next month or at the very least, a week to move out.

I did have things packed up, but it would have been very difficult to try to move into a rental and tell my prospective landlord that, "Gee, I don't know for sure when I'll be moving in. It's whenever the house sells." Unfortunately, I was unemployed at the time and had no way to pay both the house payment and rent at the same time. Before I could sell, I had to have the septic system pumped and the *&^%$ Scotch Broom cut down, and I had to wait till the house sold before I could pay those guys (which turned out to be pretty common in that area). I had barely enough money to get a U-Haul to move my stuff on Saturday.

And I never met the new owners. I was gone the day the realtor took them through the house.
This situation is not at all normal. I've heard of short escrows before, but yours would have meant no inspection, and only the weekend to get all the paperwork done. It's a little far-fetched, but not impossible. The difference is, you agreed to this. You could have said no way, as most people would have, or negotiated a longer excrow, even a week or 2.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:36 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Not to mention the fact that if on Friday, someone said they wanted the house, they agreed with the price, gave a check at signing, and the check hadnt even cleared??

Old 07-18-2016, 04:47 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
LOL - here's an alternate story.

When we sold our last house, it was on a handshake. Never had a contract, just escrow instructions. Our buyer, a neighbor's son, gave us three MONTHS rent free to finish and move to our new house. They even helped with the heavy stuff. We are all still friends.

We used all three months to finish construction and about a month to pack and move part time.

In the OPs defense, she could have refused and forced an eviction process.
Not that it's legal but I have seen situations where in a rental the landlord just puts the old tenant's stuff on the street so as now to lose the new tenancy. Even though the old tenant has been wronged what are his or her damages? The expectation of being a trespasser or at best holdover tenant?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:35 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffin View Post
I know my temper tantrum didn't help but I couldn't believe I was being thrown out. All of my stuff was packed up in boxes ready to go. I told my agent I was sorry. I had already had a moving company out to my house for an estimate. The new buyers showed up at 2 pm and gave me 5 hours. My movers were busy and I grabbed what I could on Craigslist. Yes they owned the house but I just can't imagine throwing someone out on the streets. I would have paid them for a few more days to get my things out.
I think they were exceedingly compassionate. I'd have called the police and probably sued you for any additional expenses incurred due to your irresponsibility.

Closed means closed. Once the sale closes, you don't own the property anymore. No, I'd have no problem throwing you out into the street.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:27 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Sorry but it makes even less sense now. There is no such thing as a 2 day closing on a house. When did you actually get the money from the sale of the house? That is when you needed to be out. And even with a cash sale, there are still legal formalities to go through that take longer than a weekend.

The buyer has no legal right to be in the house until they've paid for it, and it would be ill-advised to let them take possession prior to that because if the sale never went through for some reason (and that is not all that uncommon), they are living in your house, maybe paying rent but maybe not, and you could end up having to evict them to get them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

This situation is not at all normal. I've heard of short escrows before, but yours would have meant no inspection, and only the weekend to get all the paperwork done. It's a little far-fetched, but not impossible. The difference is, you agreed to this. You could have said no way, as most people would have, or negotiated a longer excrow, even a week or 2.
Well, I'm sorry no one believes me, but that's what happened.

I didn't get the money for the house for a couple of weeks after I moved. For the record, I only owned the house a year and a half and it was a new house when I moved into it. Maybe that's why there was no inspection needed. I had also had the septic system pumped, so we knew that wasn't going to be an issue. I had never wired the house for a telephone. It was more than I could afford at the time to do that so since the phone hookup was about 10 ft from the back door, I just ran a cord up to that and brought the other end inside and that's how I hooked up my phone (just called and had it turned on - the phone company didn't know I was hooked up outside instead of in the house). No one said anything about that when I sold the house, but cell phones were becoming really popular at that time so probably no one looked.

I also had no previous experience in either buying or selling a house. I had no one to ask and no one to give me any advice. Trust me, I was flying by the seat of my pants. When I bought my house, I basically found the lot myself and found the house to put on it. The seller of the manufactured home I bought arranged the loan. I didn't know any better, but it worked out. The only thing I challenged was when I was supposed to sign the papers for the loan and it was an ARM. I had worked for a bank back in the mid 70s and I had seen the percentage rates for ARMs then go sky high, so I said I wasn't doing that.

The original rate on my ARM was 4%, I think. I ended up paying 6% because I wanted a fixed rate loan, which I got. My own real estate agent was useless when it came to helping me find a property, so when I went to sell it, I asked for the agent who had represented the seller of the lot. He knew the area, the people, and the land. He was a pretty good agent. People were not buying houses too much then and I was out in the boonies with a very small manufactured house, and this man got it sold. Of course, then 2008 came along and the guy that bought it from me lost it to foreclosure. I'm just lucky I sold it when I did.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:10 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Not to mention the fact that if on Friday, someone said they wanted the house, they agreed with the price, gave a check at signing, and the check hadnt even cleared??
Cash deals are done with certified or cashiers checks which are as good as cash for the purposes of buying a house. You can close a house in a few days, but for obvious reasons it doesn't happen often.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:07 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:

I didn't get the money for the house for a couple of weeks after I moved. For the record, I only owned the house a year and a half and it was a new house when I moved into it. Maybe that's why there was no inspection needed. I had also had the septic system pumped, so we knew that wasn't going to be an issue. I had never wired the house for a telephone. It was more than I could afford at the time to do that so since the phone hookup was about 10 ft from the back door, I just ran a cord up to that and brought the other end inside and that's how I hooked up my phone (just called and had it turned on - the phone company didn't know I was hooked up outside instead of in the house). No one said anything about that when I sold the house, but cell phones were becoming really popular at that time so probably no one looked.

I also had no previous experience in either buying or selling a house. I had no one to ask and no one to give me any advice. Trust me, I was flying by the seat of my pants. When I bought my house, I basically found the lot myself and found the house to put on it. The seller of the manufactured home I bought arranged the loan. I didn't know any better, but it worked out. The only thing I challenged was when I was supposed to sign the papers for the loan and it was an ARM. I had worked for a bank back in the mid 70s and I had seen the percentage rates for ARMs then go sky high, so I said I wasn't doing that.

The original rate on my ARM was 4%, I think. I ended up paying 6% because I wanted a fixed rate loan, which I got. My own real estate agent was useless when it came to helping me find a property, so when I went to sell it, I asked for the agent who had represented the seller of the lot. He knew the area, the people, and the land. He was a pretty good agent. People were not buying houses too much then and I was out in the boonies with a very small manufactured house, and this man got it sold. Of course, then 2008 came along and the guy that bought it from me lost it to foreclosure. I'm just lucky I sold it when I did.
Well, unfortunately, it sounds like you may have been taken advantage of. The buyer might have wanted you out of the house in 2 days, but they would not have had any legal right to possession until after closing, which sounds like it was a couple of weeks later. But if you were willing to do it and it made the sale happen, then I'm glad it worked out for you and there were no negative consequences like them taking possession and then not paying you, and forcing you to have to take legal action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Cash deals are done with certified or cashiers checks which are as good as cash for the purposes of buying a house. You can close a house in a few days, but for obvious reasons it doesn't happen often.
My cash sale (2 years ago) was an electronic funds transfer from the buyer to the title company, and then from the title company to me (and for the payoff on my mortgage). I would be wary of using any type of paper because even cashiers checks and certified checks can be forged.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:41 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
OP has not been back in 6 days. Hopefully she's in her new home and living happily after.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:43 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:

See, what you are describing is not the norm. Someone made you an offer contingent on you being out by Monday....and you agreed to that. You didn't have to. You could have countered with you being out in 30 days, but you chose not to. In other words, you wanted that sale, even though you'd have to vamoose right away. That was your call. But not the norm. Sounds like that was a cash buyer, probably an investor.

I had an offer of a cash purchase on my house from an investor. His offer was to close in 30 days, which meant I'd have to be completely moved out and gone and title transferred in 30 days. I countered with 45 days, since I doubted I could be gone in 30 days. You ALWAYS have a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate