Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 01:11 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,791,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I deal with people like you every day at work (no I'm not a realtor) - people who would rather let someone else - anyone else - take control of their life rather than taking control themselves. This is what happens when that is how you go thru life. If you had taken control of any one aspect of this move it would have gone a bit smoother. Take control of the whole thing and there would have been no issues at all. But it's easier to play the victims and blame others.
And I deal with people like you at work as well......people that draw entire conclusions about a person's character based on a single situation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 15,524 times
Wow before some of your start bashing me and putting me down you should have read my other posts. I was packed up and ready to go and had movers out to my house to see how big of a truck I needed but when it came time to move of course they were unable to move me on a Friday night on quick notice at 5 pm.

Since reading your posts I have read all about the real estate laws and even contacted attorney and was told it could have taken two months to get me out of the house. I know the house was no longer mine now. No I didn't read all the papers. My agent was my friend and I trusted her. I thought we were selling the house that I could stay until my house was ready. Call me stupid but or whatever you want to call me now I couldn't imagine throwing someone out of the house when my new house was going to close any day. As I said I was packed and ready to go. The agent knew all this stuff and if she had said on Friday "You need to get out now, I would have found reputable movers, gotten a storage and off to a motel." and gone before the new owners showed up.That would have been no big deal. But my agent said nothing. The next day she came over before the owners were coming over? Why was she there? She still said nothing to me. As for my money it went to the other escrow office where I was buying my new house to take the $10,000 deposit out of it for my new house.

You all say its common sense well it wasn't to me but most of you had to call me names. I told her to get out of the house after the owners had left and I was sitting there and she was still walking around my house not saying a word. That is why I yelled at her. I just retired from the post office from working as a carrier for 33 years and worked my ass off. I am sure I worked a lot harder than some of you here calling me names. Do you feel better now? I lost things in this move that can't be replaced from my parents that my father had given my mother. You made fun of me loosing money in the dresser drawer. I only had a few hours to get out of the house. It was 105 outside that day, I had not eaten in over 24 hours. I had my pets in the car with the ac running waiting on me, people running all around, the new owners yelling at me and I just threw it somewhere. You were not there and don't know the situation.

Heck when we put the house on the market the agent borrowed $150 to pay for the pictures for the listing. I had to beg to get that back and I just received that check in the mail. She borrowed it back in April. I still have not spoken to her but I have to the new home owners as the movers left some of my things there and I have apologized to him again that I was not out of the house. As much as all of you want to put me down and call me names, I didn't know they would throw me out ok. My agent knew (my friend) failed me as a friend. A friend would not have let this happen.

It still was not professional to have my new house key left under a rock. I am in a gated community and it took me an arm and leg to get it and once in the office i was told that the realtor should have given me all the information I was given and a packet with all the the by laws. I asked her about it and she said, "don't you tell me what to do." She got paid for selling me this house. She should have given me the key and the pamphlet.

As I said before it all could have been avoided if my friend would have told me what could happen. My realtor having to put up with me? She never looked for one house for me. I found every house we saw, I drove and I bought lunch for both of us. I thought she was supposed to look out for my BEST INTEREST AND GUIDE ME THOUGH THE PROCESS. I came to this site to see what I could do not to be bashed around by some of your by calling me names.

I am in my new home now and my new house backs up to the gold course. Just like I deserve with my dog and cat and we are all doing wonderful. I still will never speak to my so called friend again.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:35 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,848,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
See, what you are describing is not the norm. Someone made you an offer contingent on you being out by Monday....and you agreed to that. You didn't have to. You could have countered with you being out in 30 days, but you chose not to. In other words, you wanted that sale, even though you'd have to vamoose right away. That was your call. But not the norm. Sounds like that was a cash buyer, probably an investor.
No, he wasn't an investor. I know he lost the house to foreclosure less than two years later. I do know it was someone who didn't have a lot of money for a down payment, so he included the down payment in with the loan (I had an FHA loan). The whole set up cost me $85,000 originally and when I sold, the offer was $122,000, but that included the down payment. My take out of the whole thing was $20,000 and when I got done paying everyone back who had loaned me money to get the house in the first place (I didn't have a big down payment either) and paid for the septic and clearing the land and for moving, I had less than $5,000 left. Still better than nothing.

Quote:

I had an offer of a cash purchase on my house from an investor. His offer was to close in 30 days, which meant I'd have to be completely moved out and gone and title transferred in 30 days. I countered with 45 days, since I doubted I could be gone in 30 days. You ALWAYS have a choice.
Live and learn. After I bought my house, I heard a ton of horror stories about moving in that made my hair stand on end. I basically trusted everyone I came in contact with when it came to buying my house. Not a good way to be.

But also, I was buying land, buying a house (separately), and having land prep done, as well as being hooked up to sewer and electric. I had to deal with permits from the county so I could be allowed to put a house on site and a homeowner's association that allowed me to waive a $5000 water hookup if I made a full price offer on my lot, unless I wanted to dig a well.

My buying experience wasn't exactly the norm either.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:32 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,056,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelace View Post
Wow before some of your start bashing me and putting me down you should have read my other posts. I was packed up and ready to go and had movers out to my house to see how big of a truck I needed but when it came time to move of course they were unable to move me on a Friday night on quick notice at 5 pm.

Since reading your posts I have read all about the real estate laws and even contacted attorney and was told it could have taken two months to get me out of the house. I know the house was no longer mine now. No I didn't read all the papers. My agent was my friend and I trusted her. I thought we were selling the house that I could stay until my house was ready. Call me stupid but or whatever you want to call me now I couldn't imagine throwing someone out of the house when my new house was going to close any day. As I said I was packed and ready to go. The agent knew all this stuff and if she had said on Friday "You need to get out now, I would have found reputable movers, gotten a storage and off to a motel." and gone before the new owners showed up.That would have been no big deal. But my agent said nothing. The next day she came over before the owners were coming over? Why was she there? She still said nothing to me. As for my money it went to the other escrow office where I was buying my new house to take the $10,000 deposit out of it for my new house.

You all say its common sense well it wasn't to me but most of you had to call me names. I told her to get out of the house after the owners had left and I was sitting there and she was still walking around my house not saying a word. That is why I yelled at her. I just retired from the post office from working as a carrier for 33 years and worked my ass off. I am sure I worked a lot harder than some of you here calling me names. Do you feel better now? I lost things in this move that can't be replaced from my parents that my father had given my mother. You made fun of me loosing money in the dresser drawer. I only had a few hours to get out of the house. It was 105 outside that day, I had not eaten in over 24 hours. I had my pets in the car with the ac running waiting on me, people running all around, the new owners yelling at me and I just threw it somewhere. You were not there and don't know the situation.

Heck when we put the house on the market the agent borrowed $150 to pay for the pictures for the listing. I had to beg to get that back and I just received that check in the mail. She borrowed it back in April. I still have not spoken to her but I have to the new home owners as the movers left some of my things there and I have apologized to him again that I was not out of the house. As much as all of you want to put me down and call me names, I didn't know they would throw me out ok. My agent knew (my friend) failed me as a friend. A friend would not have let this happen.

It still was not professional to have my new house key left under a rock. I am in a gated community and it took me an arm and leg to get it and once in the office i was told that the realtor should have given me all the information I was given and a packet with all the the by laws. I asked her about it and she said, "don't you tell me what to do." She got paid for selling me this house. She should have given me the key and the pamphlet.

As I said before it all could have been avoided if my friend would have told me what could happen. My realtor having to put up with me? She never looked for one house for me. I found every house we saw, I drove and I bought lunch for both of us. I thought she was supposed to look out for my BEST INTEREST AND GUIDE ME THOUGH THE PROCESS. I came to this site to see what I could do not to be bashed around by some of your by calling me names.

I am in my new home now and my new house backs up to the gold course. Just like I deserve with my dog and cat and we are all doing wonderful. I still will never speak to my so called friend again.

Ok, you are answering like you are the OP, but using a different user name, so I can only assume you are the same person who had a leak underneath your sink, but CHOSE not to fix it because it "wasn't a bad leak", and then forgot about it?

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...-now-i-am.html

All, there is a serious lack of common sense here...no one will change her mind. Best let this thread die. Our help will never help her.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:

The movers should have been scheduled for the day of closing or the day before. Contacting them for an estimate is not the same and is not enough. As you said, of course they couldn't come on short notice. That's why you schedule ahead of time.

It could have taken 2 months to legally evict you. That's pretty dishonest and immoral to stay for free in a house that isn't yours just because you know it will take 2 months to get you out.

Think about the buyers who were planning to move in. How would you feel if you were packed and had movers coming, then found out you couldn't move into the house you now owned and were paying for because the former owner wouldn't leave?

So you did get your money...

Why did you think it was ok to stay? It is basically the same as stealing. You would have been living for free in a house that belonged to someone else. Why do you think that's ok? Why would you think the new owners would just allow you to stay?

Old 07-20-2016, 07:19 PM

564 posts, read 871,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Ok, you are answering like you are the OP, but using a different user name, so I can only assume you are the same person who had a leak underneath your sink, but CHOSE not to fix it because it "wasn't a bad leak", and then forgot about it?

All, there is a serious lack of common sense here...no one will change her mind. Best let this thread die. Our help will never help her.
Agree. When you combine both issues brought up by the OP, credibility and common sense seem to have gone out the window.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 AM

51,619 posts, read 25,681,640 times
When we bought our first house years ago, the sellers would not move out. At first we thought it would be just a few days until they got organized. Then they said their deal to buy a mobile home fell through and they were looking for another one. This went on for weeks. They called my husband's boss and reported that we were harassing them and they were elderly...

It was a mess. Both realtors shrugged it off. It was our problem now. We contacted the police and they suggested a lawyer.

So I marched over and informed the dear couple that our movers would be coming in two days and I was moving their stuff to the street. Enough was enough.

They sniffled and carried on about having no place to go. I suggested they move into the hotel we had been living in for weeks.

From then on out, if the home wasn't empty during the pre-closing walk through, closing was postponed until it was.

I was so glad we didn't agree to rent to them for a week or so until they got organized. Apparently, they would then have tenants' rights and getting them out would have been a lengthy process.

Live and learn.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:36 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,564,516 times
Quote:

You changed your name?

You didn't read all the papers? Well that's your own fault! That is not the fault of anyone else! Why on earth anyone would sign a legal document without reading it first is just idiotic and no excuse. There's usually a clause that says you READ and UNDERSTAND what you're signing!

It was not in your contract that you could stay as long as you wanted after the sale closed. Why would anyone assume you could stay forever after you close?

People always lose items when moving and there's always something broken. If one is moving you don't ever leave cash laying around. It's not wise to have cash laying around one's home in general.

I don't see people calling you names. People just don't understand how you didn't know you had to leave and you seem to be putting all the blame on other people. Moving out by closing is just common sense and it's usually in the paperwork - the paperwork you didn't bother to read.

You hired a friend and thought she should treat you like a friend. She didn't. She treated you like a client. Realtors don't hold clients hand through everything. Buyers and sellers have to look out for themselves. That's why you frequently hire a real estate attorney. They will look out for you because you're paying them to. Realtors aren't paid for your legal interests.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

Oh so there is far more to that claim of $9k. There's a reason they want money. It all makes sense now!

Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
When we bought our first house years ago, the sellers would not move out. At first we thought it would be just a few days until they got organized. Then they said their deal to buy a mobile home fell through and they were looking for another one. This went on for weeks. They called my husband's boss and reported that we were harassing them and they were elderly...

It was a mess. Both realtors shrugged it off. It was our problem now. We contacted the police and they suggested a lawyer.

So I marched over and informed the dear couple that our movers would be coming in two days and I was moving their stuff to the street. Enough was enough.

They sniffled and carried on about having no place to go. I suggested they move into the hotel we had been living in for weeks.

From then on out, if the home wasn't empty during the pre-closing walk through, closing was postponed until it was.

I was so glad we didn't agree to rent to them for a week or so until they got organized. Apparently, they would then have tenants' rights and getting them out would have been a lengthy process.

Live and learn.
That whole mess sounds like a nightmare! I would have loved to see their faces when you said you were going to start putting their stuff in the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate