Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 04:46 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,660,310 times

Advertisements

Well, it sounds like it was a learning experience for everyone:

1. For you, to show that deadlines have meaning and people expect you to abide by them
2. For your agent, to realize that some people, no matter their seeming age or experience, need to have contracts read aloud to them and explain every single detail three times, emphasizing critical dates.

Good, reputable movers need to be booked weeks in advance. You didn't. I don't know if there are "senior moment" issues with not realizing that these things need to be booked far in advance, and that packing takes more than an hour. It sounds like you ended up with a bad moving company -- which happens when you wait PAST the last minute. Or maybe things are just packed so haphazardly and quickly that you'll find them eventually.

Your agent was probably mortified that her client was still holed up in their former home, with no signs of moving. What could she say? I can imagine the screams she was getting from the other side of the transaction, telling them to get her client under control. I'm sure the buyers were under every bit as much pressure as YOU were to move from THEIR previous home, and to find out that their new home was not only NOT empty, but still had a non-compliant seller still sitting there with not even a box of rocks packed and ready to go must have been galling. And then they would have to clean before they moved in . . . I had a small taste of being on their end 30 years ago, and even though it was only for one day, it still stands out as one of my most stressful days -- movers coming, appliances being installed, and we show up on our appointed day, only to realize that the movers were JUST getting started (at least they had made arrangements for the movers). It takes a long time to pack up a 4,500 sf house, and EVERYTHING had to be rescheduled.

The fact that you are moving into a retirement community tells me that perhaps this move is, ultimately, a good thing for you at this time in your life, because if you were my mom, I would be worried sick about your behavior and lack of comprehension during this entire incident. I understand you feel put-upon and angry -- but there's not one single thing here that happened that wasn't a result of your inaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 05:25 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,232,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffin View Post
I wish you would read my other posts. I was boxed up and ready to go and had movers set up. If my agent would have told me what they could and probably will do I would have moved to all of my things to a storage unit and gone to a motel. No big deal. The point I am trying to make is why didn't she tell me. I don't know the real estate rules. I thought she wAS suppossed to look out for my best interests and guide me through the process. Not just assume that I knew what was going on.
What did your agent have to tell you? That you have to leave when the contract said to leave? You should have moved your things to a storage unit and gone to a motel at the end of your three days. Thats what they gave you, 3 days. Not 4 days, not 5 days, 3 days.

Sounds like you were an absolute nightmare to deal with. I feel sorry for your agent. Would be a great thread to hear her side of it.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:11 PM

9 posts, read 17,487 times
apparently no one read my remarks in between all of yours. I was all packed and ready to go and had movers to my home weeks before all of this happened to set something up. Call me stupid, call me ignorant as you have but I didn't know the real estate laws. My realtor has been my friend for years. Everything you have said makes sense. It's sold and it's not mine any longer and I should have left but I had no clue about people coming in and throwing you out. It never crossed my mind. I would have thought she could have told me and I could have had good movers come in and put stuff in storage and go to a motel and none of my stuff would be missing. That would have been fine with me. My realtor sure made sure she was there when they showed up? why? my mistake I took the papers and signed them not knowing what I was signing. but why didn't she explain things to me how real estate works isn't that she is getting paid for? she failed me as my friend and that hurts worse and I am not playing the victim. My realtor never even found one house for me. I found everyone of them. I drove us to all of them and bought us both lunch every time. I thought we were friends. To me that hurts the worse and loosing my mothers rock crystal to the movers. I had good movers but all the good movers were taken at a spur of the moment.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:21 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times
The only thing I feel a little bit sorry about is that people have been piling on. You realize that you were wrong (but you still don't seem to realize some things.) Anyway, I wish you well in your new house.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:23 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,110,023 times
Quote:
apparently no one read my remarks in between all of yours. I was all packed and ready to go .
I read every one of your remarks. You still haven't explained how, if you were all packed up, why there was over $600 in your sock drawer??

Old 07-14-2016, 07:21 PM

9 posts, read 17,487 times
I had been selling a lot of my stuff while packing before moving. I didn't have clothes on the with pockets and the money was in my desk drawer. I thought It would be safer there. Its my fault. I never should have put it there. my car was full with my dogs crate in the back seat my cat in the front seat. In my trunk I had my bose radio, a suitcase, dog and cat food. I know I made plenty of mistakes during the process. I just wished I had my moms crystal rock. That can never be replaced.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
apparently no one read my remarks in between all of yours. I was all packed and ready to go and had movers to my home weeks before all of this happened to set something up. Call me stupid, call me ignorant as you have but I didn't know the real estate laws. My realtor has been my friend for years. Everything you have said makes sense. It's sold and it's not mine any longer and I should have left but I had no clue about people coming in and throwing you out. It never crossed my mind. I would have thought she could have told me and I could have had good movers come in and put stuff in storage and go to a motel and none of my stuff would be missing. That would have been fine with me. My realtor sure made sure she was there when they showed up? why? my mistake I took the papers and signed them not knowing what I was signing. but why didn't she explain things to me how real estate works isn't that she is getting paid for? she failed me as my friend and that hurts worse and I am not playing the victim. My realtor never even found one house for me. I found everyone of them. I drove us to all of them and bought us both lunch every time. I thought we were friends. To me that hurts the worse and loosing my mothers rock crystal to the movers. I had good movers but all the good movers were taken at a spur of the moment.
When were the movers schedule to come?

Sorry, but no one ever had to tell me to be out of a house by closing. I just knew.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
You should have had movers scheduled to come the day before closing at the latest. They can keep your stuff in storage for a few days until your new house closes. I'm just really confused as to what your plan was.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:47 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,332,782 times
Quote:
I should have left but I had no clue about people coming in and throwing you out. It never crossed my mind. I would have thought she could have told me and I could have had good movers come in and put stuff in storage and go to a motel and none of my stuff would be missing. That would have been fine with me.
You've said this multiple times. Why didn't you just do that? I have absolutely no sympathy for you, you could of moved but you didn't for whatever reason. These are the consequences.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:54 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Sorry guys. I find this thread very sad.

All competent RE Agents know that closing without move out creates a volatile and dangerous situation. ONe advises a client against doing it but then negotiates an agreement for occupancy after closing. None like it but most do it when out of other choices.

A competent agent however warns the client that it becomes difficult if you are not out on time or by a new negotiated departure.

Thus the agent was incompetent in not properly preparing her client for the coming battle. In fact I would think the seller has a good arbitration with her agent at the local board if that board has protocols like ours.

This bit though that the new owner has some right to throw out the seller who overstays the 3 day extension is also utter nonsense. What he has is the right to go to the local low end court and get an eviction notice. He can then serve the seller and have a marshall remove her. This involves notice and an opportunity to respond to the complaint.

So the RE Agent and the buyer were both wrong. And neither proceeded in a correct manner.

And the posters on this thread demonstrated how little they know about all this..

And Silverfall should be ashamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate