Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:22 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Interest View Post
The smell comes from the utility room at the bottom of the stairs and the boxes full of stuff we are storing downstairs. The basement is semi finished.
You must remove the bodies from the "stuff" you are storing. Then the smell will dissipate....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 09:43 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Boxes full of stuff shouldn't smell. That's a problem right there.

As for door vs no door. It seems like for newer construction, finished basements do not have doors, so that the stairs, and by extension, the space downstairs, is more incorporated into the living area of the house.

Older homes tended to have doors but I know people who have removed those as part of the process when they finished a basement.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:32 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
We had a door to the basement, in both of our townhouses. Every townhouse that I have seen has had a door the basement.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:18 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,444 times
The townhouse that I currently own has a door at the top of the stairs that leads to the finished basement. The last townhouse that I lived in did not.

There aren't any hard and fast rules about this. I like having the door. When I first bought the house I was a single parent. I used the basement level as my master bedroom and allowed each of my 3 teenagers one of the upstairs bedrooms for themselves. I usually kept the door closed in those days. Now...23 years later...my SO uses the basement as his man cave and I usually leave the door open. Unless he has friends over to watch a game or otherwise is making a lot of noise. It's nice to have the option of shutting the door to all of that.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:17 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,958,152 times
We used to live in a TH in the DC area and our basement did not have a door. We walked into the house on that level. I can't remember any of our friend's TH having doors to the basements either.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:25 PM

497 posts, read 571,395 times
Our townhouse had a door at the bottom of the stairs. I did see many town homes without doors...real turn off for me.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:26 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
Quote:
The smell comes from the utility room at the bottom of the stairs and the boxes full of stuff we are storing downstairs. The basement is semi finished.
You have other issues. If the basement isn't heated, it's cooler than the rest of the house and one or both of the following conditions are occurring: 1) Warm, moist air from the rest of the house is condensing moisture in an area that isn't well heated or ventilated 2) You have some ground water seeping in through the foundation. Maybe not enough to cause a puddle, but enough to increase general humidity

If there area were insulated and climate controlled these issues would be reduced or eliminated, depending on how you tackled it. Putting a door on the room may help if the primary source of moisture is air coming in the doorway. However if the furnace/air circulator is pulling in air from the rest of the house the door may have little effect. Also, if you have a gas/oil furnace that's drawing combustion air from the basement, it may be necessary to not have the basement sealed off entirely from the rest of the house.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:31 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Every house including townhouse I have lived in that had a basement had an interior door. It's a safety thing, too. Keeps kids and pets upstairs and out of trouble.

If your basement smells like a basement, then you a dehumidifier.....might need more than one depending on the size. Doesn't matter if it's finished or not. it's below ground.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:12 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We used to live in a TH in the DC area and our basement did not have a door. We walked into the house on that level. I can't remember any of our friend's TH having doors to the basements either.
I would say that (basement) was not a basement/cellar. It was the first floor. The several townhomes I lived in did have a door from the first floor to the basement/cellar regardless of the basement/cellar being finished or not.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:48 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,304,488 times
Quote:
In the townhouse we just bought the hallway to the basement does not have a door. So every time the air-conditioner turns on we can hear it start (noisy). Also I can smell the basement odors.

I told my wife we need a door there to block out the basement sounds and odors. She says I am crazy, that no one has a door to the stairway to the basement in townhouse.

SO... if you live in a townhouse, its there a door at the top of the stairs to the basement?

I live in SW Florida, what's a basement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate