Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:50 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,300,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Lol I am laughing hysterically because I got all the way to the end when I figured out you were buying and apartment and not a chicken coop. Co-op is not something in the country.
me too! I thought maybe they were raising chickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 09:52 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,018,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
me too! I thought maybe they were raising chickens.
Lol this makes me feel way better! Glad I was not alone.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:49 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,042,915 times
It helps to have an idea of what you're looking for. The better of an idea that you can give the real estate agent, the less you run into problems like these.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:01 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,902,269 times
Curse words painted on the walls, fish in the pool.

The contractor who was working on the house said the house had been vacant, and there was an incident with squatters and a SWAT team was brought in. Shots were fired and someone was killed. He said when he was clearing the attic there were a ton of weapons up there. We spotted a knife in the front yard that hadn't been picked up.

There was NOT A THING in the paper about it. Not. One. Word. Unbelieaveble. The realtor was pretty freaked out too.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:35 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,721,623 times
Quote:
Don't think that was the case here. This was a house built in the 50's.
I have seen many homes that were plumbed for or had installed bathroom fixtures in the basement, to prepare for later finishing the basement, that were old homes in the 50s. I was at a friends home, and we got something from the basement in the late 30s, where the bath fixtures had been installed when the house was built. Sitting there in an unfinished basement.

Quote:
What areas of the country? I've lived in a few and carpet is always a no no in the kitchen and bathrooms.
The higher quality of home, the more apt they are to use carpet in those areas. I was working in the furniture/carpet business in the 50s in California, and we had kitchen carpet and bathroom carpet for sale. We sold quite a bit of it. In lower to middle class homes it is a no-no. But in quality homes it was quite popular, and still is.

If you look at the pictures I referenced above those were carpet in upscale homes. Cost is one reason, that it is not used as much in more modest homes.

And note, it is not only in the U.S. but kitchen carpet is used around the world.

https://www.carpetright.co.uk/carpets/room-type/kitchen

Old 07-22-2016, 11:36 AM

18,762 posts, read 11,755,546 times
[quote=stan4;44849618]Jesus everywhere. Jesus and Mary everywhere. Jesus and Mary pictures. Jesus and Mary statues. Jesus and Mary porcelain. Jesus and Mary on the wall. Jesus and Mary in little alcoves. Jesus and Mary on the bar. Jesus and Mary over the front door. Jesus and Mary in the bathroom. Jesus and Mary on the back of the pantry door.

Etc.

Sounds like my friends house now. Only add angels every where, St Francis statues, and religious icons from his gay priest deceased brother all over. They were smart enough to pack it all up before they listed their other house, but they bought a house that had the same things in it and across the street from a Catholic school.

I think the weirdest thing we ever saw was a huge stone planter full of dirt and plants in the living room. It belonged in the garden, not in a living room and we wondered what kind of damage it did to the floor.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:44 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,284,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If you look at the pictures I referenced above those were carpet in upscale homes. Cost is one reason, that it is not used as much in more modest homes.

And note, it is not only in the U.S. but kitchen carpet is used around the world.

https://www.carpetright.co.uk/carpets/room-type/kitchen
I would think that today it would be a turnoff to most buyers. The house I saw it in certainly wasn't upscale. I just don't understand why any person would want carpet in a kitchen. Spill some pasta sauce on a hard floor and you wipe it up with some paper towel and a little water. Spill it on carpet and you have a disgusting mess.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:05 PM

256 posts, read 310,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
A book about Cannabalism in a kitchen among cookbooks.

Omg, we have a winner!

Old 07-22-2016, 12:09 PM

991 posts, read 1,514,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
Omg, we have a winner!
I was on my own as it was a FSBO...the owner was a BIG guy of southern pacific descent. I cut that showing short.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:21 PM

22,654 posts, read 36,662,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymom View Post

Yankee themed EVERYTHING. Kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom. ALL of it was full of Yankee merchandise.
When we sold our house in NY, there was a house on the market at the same time in the same price range. One of the bedrooms had an awesome Mets mural on one wall - unless you were a Yankee fan! In NY, you're taking half your buyers out of the equation when you do something like that - that dark blue (not to mention bright orange) is very hard to paint over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate