Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:06 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,818 times

Advertisements

Used condom on floor of kitchen, that was left there after seller had made an appt with me for inspection. She knew we were coming at that day and time. Ewww. I'm embarrassed if there are dirty dishes left in my sink for showings!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 03:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
The statue of Mary in the front yard and crosses hung over every bed? I think I saw that house and passed on it.
I saw a house like that in Pittsburgh once. But even better, the foyer featured large, beautifully framed photo portraits of Pope John XXIII and President and Mrs. Kennedy. I think it's a safe bet the owners were Catholic. Very tidy, too. Every single piece of upholstered furniture in the house had a CUSTOM-fitted, see-through vinyl cover on it. Some of the pieces were obviously old, but they looked like they just came out of the showroom.

And speaking of Pittsburgh, all over the Mid-Atlantic I've heard free-standing toilets in unfinished basements referred to as "Pittsburgh Potties."

Old 07-23-2016, 03:22 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Someone's comment here reminds me of two other things I have seen.

A home with the chalk outline of a body where apparently someone died.

I feel like what is more odd than the chalk outline, the crime scene and the coffin, body and grieving relatives I spoke of....is the fact that these things did not dissuade people from continuing their viewing. Perhaps more out of curiosity or the excitement of telling friends later, "guess what I did today" than genuinely wanting to see the property.
We draw a chalk outline of a body, sometimes two, in ALL our properties before we lay new flooring. LOL

I would just love to be there when a future owner recarpets.

I think next time we will leave some yellow crime scene tape in the corner.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:38 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Some blood red paint saying "get out" is awaiting whoever replaces the flooring in our old house.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:45 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I didn't mean to say it was unusual for a 1950's home to have a bathroom in the basement. I meant that I didn't think it was placed their by the original builder so that a future owner could build a bathroom.
Everyone I knew did build a bathroom. Who wants a toilet sitting out in the open?

Old 07-23-2016, 06:35 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,616,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Some blood red paint saying "get out" is awaiting whoever replaces the flooring in our old house.

I'll have to remember to write something when we refloor.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:42 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
Recently drove by an open house a few weekends ago. Two huge flags loosely attached to the side of the house. One American flag and to the left but slightly higher on the wall a bigger Confederate flag. Seemed odd for New England...
Maybe they are a house divided

Old 07-23-2016, 06:49 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I saw a house like that in Pittsburgh once. But even better, the foyer featured large, beautifully framed photo portraits of Pope John XXIII and President and Mrs. Kennedy. I think it's a safe bet the owners were Catholic. Very tidy, too. Every single piece of upholstered furniture in the house had a CUSTOM-fitted, see-through vinyl cover on it. Some of the pieces were obviously old, but they looked like they just came out of the showroom.

And speaking of Pittsburgh, all over the Mid-Atlantic I've heard free-standing toilets in unfinished basements referred to as "Pittsburgh Potties."
Yep. The millworkers and miners came home filthy, entered via the basement, took off the filthy clothes, washed up, if not showered, and used the potty in the basement before coming upstairs clean, so they wouldn't drag all that muck into the house.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:54 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
A good friend of mine had what she called indoor/outdoor type carpet in her kitchen. The kind you could put in your outside porch. It was very tightly woven and not much nap. It was actually a good idea. She could get up any crumbs easily and it felt good to walk on. And a glass or plate dropped didn't break.
The home I grew up in had carpet in the kitchen. It sounds very similar to this. It was a very very tight nap material that was more like a thin foam mat than carpet. It was easy on your feet though and stuff didn't break when you dropped it. I think the downside is we had to get it cleaned regularly. I haven't seen this in any home I have ever been in around here.

Maybe not strange, but a conservatory with a herb garden. Some of the herbs weren't for cooking.

Basement of a foreclosed property. Which was weird already because very few homes have basements here due to the cost. It hadn't been cleaned out and was a fully stocked prepper paradise. Plastic tubs full of dried beans, rice, wheat, etc. All kinds of books and material about survival and such. Those blue plastic barrels full of who knows what. It wasn't just a couple things. The entire basement was bulging with stored food and supplies.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
I looked at a house once with a grave marker at the bottom the back porch steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate