Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:12 AM

428 posts, read 809,349 times

Advertisements

Anything I need to be particularly concerned about, wary of, alert to, for giving power of attorney (POA) to my Realtor? I am the Seller. I am moving Oct 21, flying out of my city Oct 22 to move from MN to WA, but the closing of my house sale will not happen until a week or two after that. So my Realtor says I can give her limited POA to do the signings for my house. Is this okay, common, should I feel safe doing this? It is a reputable long-standing real estate company and the Realtor as stellar ratings on zillow, etc.

Also how would I get the money ($xx,xxx) from the sale, closing? Would my Realtor mail it to me (seems risky, plus it would be mailed to a General Delivery address at the city I am flying to)? Or could my Realtor deposit it in person at my local bank here in the city I am moving from (I will be leaving that bank account open for a few months)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 07:37 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Can you sign the deed at the closing office before you leave town?

I sign HUD1 Settlement Statements for clients, but only after we have reviewed and they have instructed me.

You should be able to get a wire transfer of the funds from the closing office, direct to your bank account.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:40 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
POA was common in the old days. You need to call the title company doing the settlement to see what they do nowadays for remote closings because of what is done in your area...docusign? fax? overnight mail-you look over and notarize-you overnight the package back? Your realtor can have a copy of the closing docs too and you can go over them together. You can do that just with a phone call...or skype or whatever other communication available to you at that moment.

Just saw mike's when I posted the above....yes, wire transfer. All easy peasy.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:03 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Or overnight. You get the closing documents via email, print, sign in front of a notory, send them back overnight mail. Get the wire instuction to the closing compan before you leave.

Easy peasy.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:14 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Conflict of interest to give POA to the Realtor. I would never accept POA for one of my clients. Closings are done from out of state all the time these days. You just tell the title company that it will be a "mail out" and they will email or mail you the docs, you go to a notary (most banks do it free) and sign your documents. They need the originals to fund the loan, so you need to Next Day air them back. Most title companies will give you their account number to use to send docs back.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:16 AM

Okay thank you everybody. Looks like it should be possible, just might come with a little stress and juggling of technology. Hard because I will be landing in a city far away and staying at an airbnb for 10 days then looking for a house to lease, but I can always get email then 'print' that to PDF then print that at a UPS/Mailbox store or office supply type store, then FedEx it overnight if need be. I can have my bank routing and account numbers ready to give to my Realtor, good idea, so she can have the proceeds wired into my account. Just stressing a little because of leaving my house vacant, cold weather setting in here in northern MN, moving so far away (MN to WA).

Old 10-10-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Conflict of interest to give POA to the Realtor.....
Yikes. Now I am a bit concerned over my Realtor wanting me to give her POA. Is the risk more on her end, or mine, if I give her POA?

Old 10-10-2014, 08:28 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Yikes. Now I am a bit concerned over my Realtor wanting me to give her POA. Is the risk more on her end, or mine, if I give her POA?
I'm not an attorney, but I've been a Realtor for 14 years, and all the legal classes I take tell us never to accept POA for a client. You can give it to a friend or neighbor or old co-worker, but think twice before giving it to your agent. I doubt her E&O will cover it.

And don't give your agent your account information. When you send your signed docs back, you'll send a voided check to the title company. Again, don't give your agent such personal information.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I'm not an attorney, but I've been a Realtor for 14 years, and all the legal classes I take tell us never to accept POA for a client.....
So is the risk on the Realtor if she takes limited POA for the sale, or is the risk on me? Who has the most to lose by doing the POA thing? if the risk is on my Realtor and she is willing then I would do it, but if I face serious consequences then I had best rethink giving POA.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:48 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Okay thank you everybody. Looks like it should be possible, just might come with a little stress and juggling of technology. Hard because I will be landing in a city far away and staying at an airbnb for 10 days then looking for a house to lease, but I can always get email then 'print' that to PDF then print that at a UPS/Mailbox store or office supply type store, then FedEx it overnight if need be. I can have my bank routing and account numbers ready to give to my Realtor, good idea, so she can have the proceeds wired into my account. Just stressing a little because of leaving my house vacant, cold weather setting in here in northern MN, moving so far away (MN to WA).
Get the realtor out of your head on this essential part. I'm sure she's very nice and helpful. But on this you work directly with the title company. TITLE/CLOSING COMpany. Don't give you acct info to anyone else. Only whoever is professionally closing...title company, atty, however you are having it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate