Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,536,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Nobody really wants to live there? LOL

I live in Texas and like someone else posted - the quality is ok, not great. And taxes - sheesh. I can't believe what people in my small town pay in taxes for rinky dinky falling down 50 year old houses.
Well, considering that Houston consistently ranks in the top 10 or 20 fastest growing metro areas in the US year after year (and was ranked #1 in 2015) it can't be that "nobody really wants to live there."

If you want a quality built home, hire a good builder. I live in a smaller metro area in Texas and we live in a very well built home. Typically - ANYWHERE in the US (not just in Houston) - when there's fast growth, there are a lot of cheaply built tract homes and neighborhoods that spring up. I'd avoid those.

Usually, the price of the property taxes in Texas is offset by the fact that we have no state income tax. So yes, the property taxes can be high but our overall tax burden is still usually lower than most other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Many houses have basements and almost 100% have a least a crawl space.
Just wanted to point out that the reason why most homes in Texas don't have basements is due to soil type and frost lines - not because builders are cutting corners to lower cost.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I've lived in Texas for 12 years. Build quality of our home is good. Sure, Texas may be "cheap" pitted against CA and parts of NE, but think about it. there's lots of land here in Texas to build on. The denser places become, the less "cheap" they are. We have our share of shocked transplants moving her and expecting a huge house for $200k. $150k won't get you much in many of the better Austin area suburbs and probably the better parts of Houston and Dallas as well. I live in the suburbs, 1 hr from the city core, and our house is probably half a mil now. Personally, I'd take my Texas home any day.
This has been my experience as well.

We live in NE Texas in the Tyler metro area. We live about an hour and a half east of DFW. In a good school district in Tyler, you will pay about $115 a square foot for a home.

My home is a custom home built 20 years ago and the quality is EXCELLENT. We've had absolutely no problems.

$150K wouldn't buy a great home - even a good solid middle class home - in a good school district in Tyler. You'd probably need to spend at least $200K and probably more. But the lots tend to be spacious with lots of trees so that's nice.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 PM

26,181 posts, read 21,469,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You keep saying that without any evidence whatsoever.

I'll make it simple for you. Name me one job in a construction that an unskilled laborer can do.
Just one.

Go.

You actually started with no evidence whatsoever that illegals typcially are relegated to yard work and moving furniture.

Now you've changed the goal post from illegal to unskilled laborer. If an illegal can frame, plumb, pour/finish concrete, sheetrock, tape/float, texture, paint, lay tile/wood floor/carpet they aren't unskilled. I'm sure you have to be aware of all the total trades that go into building out a house and that illegals can certainly fill some of those without being stuck laying/cutting grass or moving boxes

Old 07-25-2016, 06:33 PM

18,219 posts, read 16,829,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
In Cali they don't see the home for what it costs to build they sell it for the going rate of homes which is much higher than in Texas. Supplies and labor is also lower in Texas, so that's a factor too. Also the land in Cali if more expensive and most of it in desireable places is all taken up.
In the area where I live (Mt Washington Los Angeles) there isn't a single flat buildable lot to be had. All that's left is straight up or straight down. Plans, permits, soil report, grading/foundation will run 500K to start if it's even a buildable lot.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:34 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,200,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You actually started with no evidence whatsoever that illegals typcially are relegated to yard work and moving furniture.

Now you've changed the goal post from illegal to unskilled laborer. If an illegal can frame, plumb, pour/finish concrete, sheetrock, tape/float, texture, paint, lay tile/wood floor/carpet they aren't unskilled. I'm sure you have to be aware of all the total trades that go into building out a house and that illegals can certainly fill some of those without being stuck laying/cutting grass or moving boxes
Most illegals are unskilled laborer. Those are facts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...4ff_story.html

Quote:
If an illegal can frame, plumb, pour/finish concrete, sheetrock, tape/float, texture, paint, lay tile/wood floor/carpet they aren't unskilled.
How many knows how to do that?

Why not say they know how to perform accounting forensic, write C#, and design a hydraulic system while you're at it?

Old 07-25-2016, 07:24 PM

26,181 posts, read 21,469,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Most illegals are unskilled laborer. Those are facts.

Your own link says 30% of illegal workers work in construction/production, how's that for facts?

Quote:
How many knows how to do that?
Millions work in the production and construction field per your link so I'm pretty there is a fare amount.

Quote:
Why not say they know how to perform accounting forensic, write C#, and design a hydraulic system while you're at it?
Do you have to come up with an exaggerated continuation because you were wrong about your assumption about gardening and moving boxes? That's a first class example of your argument falling apart

Old 07-25-2016, 07:25 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,845,372 times
Quote:
I don't have to do the math. Your fairy tale that illegals aren't skilled and only do yard work or moving furniture is bogus. Plenty of immigrants illegal or not are skilled in various construction trades
I seriously cant believe someone said that! Thank you for setting them straight. Undocumented immigrants did all the work on our house (governed by a local contractor). They did painting, cabinets, plumbing, electrical, foundation, trees, etc. I think they were highly skilled in their trades.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Your own link says 30% of illegal workers work in construction/production, how's that for facts?

Millions work in the production and construction field per your link so I'm pretty there is a fare amount.
It DOES NOT say that. Why didn't you finish reading the entire sentence before jumping in and saying things that AREN'T TRUE?!!

Quote:
Nationwide, Pew reported, the portion of unauthorized workers in professional or business jobs — including sales and office support — grew from 10 to 13 percent, while the portion in production and construction declined from 34 to 29 percent.

They are only referring to Professional/business jobs, aka desk jobs. Within desk jobs where illegals are hired, about 29% work for production/construction companies.

Again, the article is talking about DESK JOBS!!!! These people are not in job sites framing walls. They are in the office filing papers or whatever.

Quote:
Do you have to come up with an exaggerated continuation because you were wrong about your assumption about gardening and moving boxes? That's a first class example of your argument falling apart
I see that I have to interpret for you:

Quote:
Nationwide, unauthorized immigrants are clustered in a few occupations, notably farming, fishing and forestry (26 percent of the workforce), building and grounds (17 percent), and construction and mining (14 percent). They comprise 24 percent of all groundskeepers, 23 percent of domestic workers and 20 percent of those in clothing manufacture.

14% of the illegals work in construction and mining. Note that they bundled the two industry together. For convenience sake, let's say we slice the number in half - 7% work in construction and 7% work in mining. That means out of 100 illegals, 7 would be skilled enough to work in construction.

THAT is exactly my point. The vast majority of illegals are not skilled enough to be in construction. Only a very small percentage of them make it to that trade.

Do you get it now?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I seriously cant believe someone said that! Thank you for setting them straight. Undocumented immigrants did all the work on our house (governed by a local contractor). They did painting, cabinets, plumbing, electrical, foundation, trees, etc. I think they were highly skilled in their trades.
How do you know they are undocumented?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate