Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 04:29 PM

218 posts, read 775,404 times

Advertisements

Ok, how is this possible?

Clever or illegal?

I live in California and my neighbor has his own "business". A property management company. He has no RE license. He told me that he tells his clients this upfront and that if both parties are in agreement then there is no problem. He offers them a lower % to manage their properties.

The reason I ask is because I wanted to be a prop management but after researching found out that you cannot do so legally unless you have your RE license. Thus the purchasing online courses - Lumbleau real estate so that I could get my license (which I have to say is the MOST boring thing I have ever done in my life - his voice makes me want to stick my head in a microwave (too hot for an oven right now)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 06:23 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
It is illegal to perform real estate acts without a license. He can be arrested and charged and you should do something about it. More than likely, you won't, so that's why it happens. People don't report and they go on with their lives... It takes people to report to get it to stop.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Actually, it's perfectly legal to manage your own property without a license. As soon as you take money from someone else to manage their property, you must be licensed. We have property managers that telecommute 3 days a week, it's quite common, but your neighbor could be in big trouble if someone complains and he gets reported. Most states start with a cease and refrain order, then fines, and possibly jail time depending on the number of infractions.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
Ok, how is this possible?

Clever or illegal?

I live in California and my neighbor has his own "business". A property management company. He has no RE license. He told me that he tells his clients this upfront and that if both parties are in agreement then there is no problem. He offers them a lower % to manage their properties.

The reason I ask is because I wanted to be a prop management but after researching found out that you cannot do so legally unless you have your RE license. Thus the purchasing online courses - Lumbleau real estate so that I could get my license (which I have to say is the MOST boring thing I have ever done in my life - his voice makes me want to stick my head in a microwave (too hot for an oven right now)

Thanks!
Just get a license. It's not like you have to attend school for 1 year and pay lots of money to get a license.

I don't think you have to get the boring online course that you mention. There are likely in-person courses that are more interesting. And other online courses from various companies.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:25 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Just to clarify, not all states require property managers to have a real estate license. But I assume since you live in California, and you said this was a neighbor, that it is management of California properties.

If so, then if California requires PMs be licensed, then that is what you should do. If you take the chance and risk it without, you WILL have problems at some point, most likely when a tenant finds out and stops paying rent or trashes the house, knowing that you can't take them to court to evict or get a judgment, since you are running an illegal business.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:24 PM

218 posts, read 775,404 times
Ahhh, ok good to know.

He must telecommute. Or helps family. Cuz I didn't think he could do that either (no license).

He's a blowhard tho. Between that and his Lego collection, I think I'll just stay away.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:36 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Unless it's changed very recently, when family had property in California here are some of the laws.

A PM can manage even a building without a license.

He/she can work under someone who holds a real estate broker's license.

Applicants are required to document their experience or have education and training and have to take a licensing exam.

Then there's continuing ed.

By law a PM has to make sure properties meet minimum standards for health and safety and building codes, etc; deposits have to be returned in a required fashion; invoices for repairs have to be in a certain manner.

That said, when a person hires a licensed PM they know they are getting a certain quality of service bound by law. They know the PM is doing continuing ed, keeping up with codes etc.

What you could do is go the legal way, find out all you need to do, than advertise...not offensively...but something like "Toopie 28, Licensed Property Manager. We take care of it all, repairs, health, safety, building codes and you relax". Some version that makes people realize there is such a thing as a license for property management and that that can be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate