Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:15 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
I never looked in the fridge when house hinting.....I felt it to be a small invasion of privacy and I never expected the fridge to stay after closing.
Here on Oahu, where the fridges tend to stay with the unit (I'm getting a new stainless steel unit because of this), I looked in every fridge of the condos I toured just to make sure they were in working order. Granted, every unit I toured was vacant, and I would not have looked in the fridge if the unit was occupied; the fact that the unit was occupied would go a long ways to assuring me that the fridge was working . . . though I'd still require written assurance of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 05:28 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,438 times
There are so many things I could say - I'd go on for days..... I found out 7 weeks AFTER I moved in that the landlord decided to sell.... I understand it's her house and she can do what she wants but come on people 7 weeks. I doubt very much she decided at that exact point to sell... I think she decided it would take time to sell so she went ahead and listed it even though she'd just leased it out.

And I have shown the house 7 times since it was listed. I am not a Real estate agent, have no license except drivers and here I am being told that someone is coming to see the house at xx:xx! I pulled the realtor over after they left (he's the agent I rented the house - the "listing agent" and told him No More Miss Nice Gal. If he had someone that wanted to see the house, he could make an appointment, and show it himself. They will also be paying me back when I have to take the dog to day care because I don't think that expense should be mine. They are inconveniencing me. He complained about the traffic to come to show the house. Its your job BOZO - who is getting the commission?

I know they have an offer because he confirmed that to me - there was an investor who is very interested and made a verbal offer on the phone the evening he came to the house and then a written offer the next day. As Listing agent said "she wants to see if she can get another offer". I replied "don't wait too long, he'll rescind the offer".. I am keeping the house spotless, I am OCD about that, and I have let myself be pushed around trying to keep a good impression with this landlord - I don't know why.

I was just surprised when they opened the fridge. And i was inside with dog because it was 96 degrees outside and I wasn't going to sit on the patio in that heat. They were asking me all kinds of questions that Leasing agent couldn't answer so it was a good thing I was there. He kept telling them the HVAC unit was in the attic - all the while he was standing right by the closet that it is in.... also kept saying 2 bathrooms and it only has one.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:23 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Littlelou, hopefully you have a lease and these are investors looking to buy the house you are renting. What does your lease say about showing the house?

I know some people don't read their lease on this matter and are bullied by agents who take advantage of this and tell them this is the way it's done when that's not true at all...people coming in taking pictures for the listing, showings at any time, etc.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:00 AM

I am under a lease and when the Leasing agent told me about the sale it was clearly discussed that I wasn't leaving before the lease is up unless I am bought out by the landlord or new owner. there have been 2 showings to investors that I know of - one who made an offer discussed with me staying on as a tenant. I am to receive one month free rent once the property is under contract as my compensation for this mess. It unnerving to me knowing there are people coming through the house at any time and that's why I have been okay showing the house - but this particular couple set and cancelled appointments 3 times before they finally showed. that's annoying since I have to make arrangements for the dog. Luckily I had enough time to alert the doggie day care he wouldn't be there on 2 of those times, I guess I'm frustrated with the Leasing agents attitude - since I seem to have done more work than him.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:11 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Whenever you decide to read the lease, you'll find out whether you're required to allow anyone into the house under any terms to see it for purposes of buying the home.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:02 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I am under a lease and when the Leasing agent told me about the sale it was clearly discussed that I wasn't leaving before the lease is up unless I am bought out by the landlord or new owner. there have been 2 showings to investors that I know of - one who made an offer discussed with me staying on as a tenant. I am to receive one month free rent once the property is under contract as my compensation for this mess. It unnerving to me knowing there are people coming through the house at any time and that's why I have been okay showing the house - but this particular couple set and cancelled appointments 3 times before they finally showed. that's annoying since I have to make arrangements for the dog. Luckily I had enough time to alert the doggie day care he wouldn't be there on 2 of those times, I guess I'm frustrated with the Leasing agents attitude - since I seem to have done more work than him.
This is a tough call - of course you are not obligated to show the place (as opposed to allowing it to be shown) but on the other hand, it sounds like you are more comfortable being there when its shown.

Hopefully the owner will accept the pending offer and that buyer will want to keep you as a tenant, and this will be over with! I know how stressful it was to keep my house ready to show as a seller, so I can imagine how tough this has been when you don't have that motivation and if anything, this could end up disrupting your life by forcing you to move when you hadn't planned on it. I hope your landlord appreciates how cooperative you've been, and glad you can at least vent a bit about the inconvenience.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Whenever you decide to read the lease, you'll find out whether you're required to allow anyone into the house under any terms to see it for purposes of buying the home.

I am obligated to allow them to show the house and if it weren't for the dog I wouldn't have a problem with my Leasing Agent showing it with out me there. The dog is a rescue, was abused by a man and can be protectively aggressive, if he thinks someone is going to hurt him - he will snap, growl and bark. When there is someone there and I have him in my arms, he may bark but he isn't as aggressive. I think I have gone out of my way to show the house, be available at a moments notice to show it - and the leasing agents nonchalance toward this situation. Heck - I've shown it more than he has. I'm doing more to sell the house than he is. I understand I have to allow it to be shown its just a pain.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:00 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
So what is the exact language of your lease that says you have to allow it to be shown for sale? And on how much notice?

Old 07-30-2016, 07:21 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
You say you've shown the house more than the leasing agent has. I have not yet seen a lease agreement that says the tenant should show the house. I have only seen ones where a professional or the owner shows and then language describing "reasonable times", care taken, appointments made, etc.

I know someone where the rental was being sold and the agent made no call, just showed up with camera, barged in, said she had to take photos that day etc etc. The tenant knew the house would be on the market at some point fairly soon but was never given a date nor an appointment time for the agent. Needless to say, at first the tenant was shocked. He told the agent to leave and called the owner. In fact, the agent had her own key to the house and was expecting to just enter.

The owner apologized and asked if the agent could show it to a buyer in a couple of days who was very interested. The tenant said okay but after that he needed some time to prepare the house as far as his personal valuable things went. The owner said okay.

The tenant had some work to do to prepare on his end....like removing art work on the walls and securing or removing sculptures. But for the time being he put sheets and pillowcases over the art work hanging on the walls as what he felt was a security measure. He didn't want pictures taken of them.

The agent actually did take pictures that day...who knows if she even really had a buyer. And, yes, the sheets covering art work looked very odd so the owner gave the guy appropriate time store his collections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate