Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times

Advertisements

Agents are a time a dozen. Forget shopping until you actually want to purchase. Don't even bother with agents. All you'll get is misinformation, lies and manipulation. I've bought 6 homes and I keep my interactions with agents to a minimum, and if I think I'm being treated unfairly, I dump them fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Yes, that was it. One of our requirements is a kitchen/dining/living open concept home with the fireplace hearth being visible from all three areas, and that is often difficult to tell in online photos.
You want a home in a small town, with few possible homes to buy. You have some absolutes that you must have in a home. The possibility of finding a home that meets those requirements is almost none. The Realtor will know what the available housing stock is, and knows it is about impossible to fit your needs. You have told the Realtor that you are probably not going to buy for two or three years.

The Realtor has apparently only has one home that fits what you want available in the area. With your must haves, it is nearly impossible to find a home that fits your demands. So the Realtor is not going to fool around trying to show you dozens of homes that do not fit your absolute must haves to spend time even discussing them. They are spending their time on clients that they can make a commission from serving them now, and don't have time to fool around every time you find another home that will fit your absolutes. What you are doing, is taking a Realtors time that is the only thing they have to give a client. He/she knows the odds of selling you anything are so small, they are going to spend their time with other buyers and sellers.

Quote:
Lastly, yes, I definitely get the idea he is frustrated with me.. But shouldn't a Realtor try to patiently and calmly reassure a client instead of (almost) ridiculing and bullying her? I mean, if he is already frustrated with me before I have actually looked at even one house with him, what does that portend once we do make an offer on a house?
The Realtor from your posts, keeps telling you that house does not meet your requirements and you are not satisfied with that, you want him/her to hold your hands and spend a lot of time for no return. He/she has apparently told you there is only one house in town that is for sale that meets your exact must have specifications, and if you want such a home, now is the time to buy. And you are not ready to buy that home, and the odds of finding another home that fits those requirements and you get angry he/she is getting short tempered. The Realtor knows the only home that you can expect to buy in the area is for sale, and if you don't buy this one any time they spend holding your hand like you want is wasted time, and no longer wants to keep discussing homes that you will turn down as they don't fit your absolutes.

In a small town, the open floor plan you demand, is very rare and nearly impossible to find if it can be found. You expect this Realtor to keep looking when they know the local housing stock, for a home that does not exist with one exception. If that is what you want to buy, you had better jump on it, before it is sold and you cannot find another to fit your demands.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:57 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
The OP is going to be a very hard customer to deal with. The main issue is she believes they got bitten by a realtor so there is a fear of all agents. The real problem was not the agents but the OP will not accept that.

Where I an agent and knew her belief, I would pass on her as a customer.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
A good active agent, cannot afford to fool around with a prospect like this one. Instead of wasting time on them, they can use it for other prospects that will pay off for them. So you refer them to another agent, to waste their time not yours.

I used to refer potential clients like the OP to the worst most incompetent agent I could find in the local real estate board who was desperate to make their first sale. I wanted to keep them away from my friends, as I did not want to loose a friend by sending a client like this to them. By the time this prospect was ready to buy if they ever were, the agent I referred them to would have failed out of the business and they would have to start over looking for an agent that did not mind wasting time n a near helpless cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate