Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:04 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,712 times

Advertisements

not sure if this is the right forum for this but i have a question. i've seen/heard multiple times that if you want to buy a house with your significant other you should get married first. i'm just curious as to why people make that argument.

let's say you have one couple who is in a long term relationship and buy a house together and then they break up. and you have a second couple who is married and buy a house together and then they get divorced.

what would the difference be between the two situations in regards to selling the house? i guess i'm just trying to understand why it's a better situation to be married first. are there different legal ramifications for the two situations? or is it only if one person makes a substantially higher amount of money than the other? what if both people make around the same amount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 08:31 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
not sure if this is the right forum for this but i have a question. i've seen/heard multiple times that if you want to buy a house with your significant other you should get married first. i'm just curious as to why people make that argument.

let's say you have one couple who is in a long term relationship and buy a house together and then they break up. and you have a second couple who is married and buy a house together and then they get divorced.

what would the difference be between the two situations in regards to selling the house? i guess i'm just trying to understand why it's a better situation to be married first. are there different legal ramifications for the two situations? or is it only if one person makes a substantially higher amount of money than the other? what if both people make around the same amount?
Both situations are handled the exact way. I have done both and honestly, not being married was easier in that we didn't have to make it part of a divorce settlement.

The house were jointly owned so we had equal rights/investment.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Both situations are handled the exact way. I have done both and honestly, not being married was easier in that we didn't have to make it part of a divorce settlement.

The house were jointly owned so we had equal rights/investment.
i actually was thinking wouldn't it be easier to not be married? but since i have never bought a house or gotten divorced, i have no idea how the situations play out. so i was always curious why people always rush to say "make sure you get married first!!" lol

Old 07-28-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
i actually was thinking wouldn't it be easier to not be married? but since i have never bought a house or gotten divorced, i have no idea how the situations play out. so i was always curious why people always rush to say "make sure you get married first!!" lol
I don't get the advice myself. Now, since I have done it a few different ways. My favorite is to own the property by myself and just collect rent from your significant other. That ways you always have a home and stability, if the relationship goes south.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I don't get the advice myself. Now, since I have done it a few different ways. My favorite is to own the property by myself and just collect rent from your significant other. That ways you always have a home and stability, if the relationship goes south.
true! but then you have to do the whole down payment yourself, right?

Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
The thought is that if you aren't married, you aren't ready to make a lifetime commitment and thus should not be buying real estate together. If you have no intention of ever marrying your partner, that is a different story, but if you aren't sure it isn't going to work out yet...yeah, I wouldn't do that either.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
true! but then you have to do the whole down payment yourself, right?
Yes. But if you split up you would not have to try to buy the other person out or incur moving expenses.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
The thought is that if you aren't married, you aren't ready to make a lifetime commitment and thus should not be buying real estate together. If you have no intention of ever marrying your partner, that is a different story, but if you aren't sure it isn't going to work out yet...yeah, I wouldn't do that either.
i get that, i guess it's just that a lot of marriages end in divorce anyway. like there is never a guarantee. but yeah, i guess if you've only been dating for a little while it doesn't make sense to make that kind of purchase.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Well then this confirms it is outdated advice. Real estate is no longer a lifetime commitment. Neither is marriage for that matter.

I made the most money on a house I bought with an ex for 3% down, and sold 18 months later. Neither of us regretted buying it. We even got married and bought another. Made money on that one. I bought my third completely in my name and continue to do so now. Even if I was married, I would never add a spouse to my home title.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:04 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:

There's a whole bunch of legal mumbo jumbo that varies by state. There's also a difference if both parties who are unmarried are on the mortgage. Are they both on the deed? If not, then in most states you don't the house at all.

If you're married and purchase the house after the fact, in many states you are part owner regardless if you're on the mortgage or not. Being married completely changes many things legally. Amazing what a piece of paper does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate