Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:31 AM

366 posts, read 1,739,325 times

Advertisements

This is a response to a long post. My responses to dreading the move's posts are in red following quotes from her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreading the move View Post
sunset bound,

Don't let all these negative people get you down. You are completely right in your requests.

It doesn't sound to me like she's requesting anything, she's telling someone how to do their job and to do it unethically. A job that she hired them to do the right way. If a client asks you to lie, are you supposed to lie? It's against the code of ethics to do that and the agent can loose their license for that.

Realtors like to proclaim they are professionals until something goes wrong, then they will tell you to get an attorney.

If the "something" that goes wrong is the cause of the agent, you wouldn't be getting an attorney, they would. If an agent is telling you to get an attorney, it's because something the buyer or the seller has most likely did without consulting or being truthful to their agent. How is that the agent's fault?

I personally think the whole realtor profession needs to be eliminated and replaced with attorneys for the legal documents. You can show your own house, or maybe hire someone whose only job is to show houses.

Let me ask you something. If an attorney tells you the same thing that we're telling you, would you believe them? You hire us for what we do, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO. There is no law that says you need to use a realtor to buy and sell a house. Nothing is stopping you from representing yourself.

As someone who is in the marketing biz, I resent a realtor telling me I don't know what I am talking about.

Honestly, you are asking a realtor to represent you for the professionalism and knowledge that they bring to the table. I doubt any realtor has ever told you that you don't know what you're talking about, but I'll bet that you have told them.

Realtors need to remember who they are working for, YOU. Any realtors who cannot take suggestions from their client should be fired on the spot.

I totally agree here. Key word here is "suggestions"

I just sold a home and bought another one. I found both realtors brought nothing to the table. I actually had to coach them through both deals. And before all you jump up and say you just had a bad realtor, both of these had long work histories and were supposedly top agents in their area.

I won't say you had a bad realtor, just the opposite. If the deals went through without any major problems, you had great agents. Agents do more work that buyers and sellers NEVER see and never believe that they are doing. You will never believe that, but I go back to my first response. Do it yourself if you think it's so easy.

Realtors need to get down off their high horse and do what their clients want them to do. Sunset bound stick to your guns. If you think this agent is not working in your best interest fire them now. It will only get worse and with todays current market, you do not have time to mess around with incompetence.

Please note that you here made the best argument for my side. Someone needs only to read the meanness in your post, and assume that that's how you think you're going to get someone to work for you. I sure hope you don't complain to waitresses the way you do here, cause you'd never know what you're eating.
I'm sorry for the defensive nature of my response. I do get that way when someone attacks me when I know how honorable this profession is. I get as mad as you when I find an agent that doesn't do their job correctly, but that's few and far between. Think about it, how many agents do you know that have been sued? In eleven years in this business, and being in the highest volume office in my State, I've seen less than a handful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
This is what I was going to point out. Sellers that DEMAND that the realtor do it THEIR way are the ones that want the realtor to at times do things that can get the realtor sued. The realtor has the insurance to protect and pay out against these suits and when they do happen the sellers will quickly throw the realtor under the bus and the sellers are typically never out a dime. I've seen it done enough times to know that sellers THIS demanding are the ones to run from and politely let them go on their way and find someone else that is willing to take such a risk. Those that will are NOT "true professionals".

This comment by "dreading the move" points out just such, "If someone is a true professional then they can work with anyone. " No, a "true professinal" will know when to RUN the other way from someone expecting them to do something that is wrong. Trumping up certain things in a MLS listing CAN and HAS gotten many a realtor in trouble. A "true professional" avoids at all costs people that are DEMANDING or trying to bring them down and will NOT "work with anyone".
Great post, that is what I was kind of going for. I must've skipped a page of this thread because I didn't see it before my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Ain't THAT the truth. I would MUCH rather see BETTER pictures than any of the write up that is on MLS. Most of the time I don't even read it if the pics are worthless. If the pics show something I MIGHT be interested in then I'll read the comments just to see if there is anything that is "unique" about it that peaks my interest. So far I've yet to find anything that is an improvement over my own house and will probably stay but I still look and it is VERY SAD the pics I see.
I actually feel the other way. I've seen too many pictures that hide defects and make bad siding look good, etc. Heck, once in awhile, I've seen a picture that even made ME look good. Heck, the one thing they should do with realtors is make them use a current photo or fine them. I've seen agents that use photos that have to be at least 20 years old or been glamor shot to where you can't recognize them.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:27 AM

28 posts, read 126,398 times
I cannot believe the responses from the realtors. Sunset bound did not ask them to do something unethical. She asked for wording that more accurately described her property. I hope everyone out there is noticing the response I am recieving from the realtors. This is their attitude to you the customer. You are supposed to never ask a question, never request anything and hand over thousands of dollars to them with no input from you. Why are realtors so scared of interacting with their sellers?

And to RickMG- your responses are so angry and you talk about my meaness. You have been in the business 11 years. That is nothing compared to my time dealing with real estate through business and personal deals. Your attitude is exactly why I feel the way I do about realtors. I know realtors do lots of work behind the scenes, but remember that is your job. I do not think my posting was mean, direct for sure, but not mean.

I do not think any of my postings were mean. They are my experiences with realtors over 25 years living in 8 different states, so don't tell me I have had isolated bad experiences. During my last move, I had to guide the realtor through the process because she was incapable of understanding how buying a house from relocation company worked and how to respond to them and get the necessary paperwork done.
Why did I have to tell both the listing and selling agent that we needed a power of attorney for my wife as she would not be at closing. And then for them to make sure it was acceptable in the state of TN in the form drawn up in another state. These are all things that should have been taken care of by my realtor, but I had to lead them on how to do these things. This is why I feel the way I do. I have been trained by the realtor professional to not depend on them for anything. So don't say another word to me about professionalism because you and I both know that there are many realtors out there that should not be in the business. And how is the consumer to know, especially someone who moves alot and has not been in one location for their entire lifetime and knowing reputations of people.

All you realtors are not doing your profession any favors by attacking me. Remember others are reading these posts and see how defensive you are. If you are doing such a great job for your customers, you would apologize that I have had such bad experiences and offer some constructive advice to sunset bound. But no you have spent this entire thread attacking me and sunset bound over a simple request for wording in an ad.

I will be leaving this thread before my opinion of realtors gets really bad. Good luck sunset bound on your home sale.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:43 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,050,066 times
Quote:
I cannot believe the responses from the realtors. Sunset bound did not ask them to do something unethical. She asked for wording that more accurately described her property. I hope everyone out there is noticing the response I am recieving from the realtors. This is their attitude to you the customer. You are supposed to never ask a question, never request anything and hand over thousands of dollars to them with no input from you. Why are realtors so scared of interacting with their sellers?

And to RickMG- your responses are so angry and you talk about my meaness. You have been in the business 11 years. That is nothing compared to my time dealing with real estate through business and personal deals. Your attitude is exactly why I feel the way I do about realtors. I know realtors do lots of work behind the scenes, but remember that is your job. I do not think my posting was mean, direct for sure, but not mean.

I do not think any of my postings were mean. They are my experiences with realtors over 25 years living in 8 different states, so don't tell me I have had isolated bad experiences. During my last move, I had to guide the realtor through the process because she was incapable of understanding how buying a house from relocation company worked and how to respond to them and get the necessary paperwork done.
Why did I have to tell both the listing and selling agent that we needed a power of attorney for my wife as she would not be at closing. And then for them to make sure it was acceptable in the state of TN in the form drawn up in another state. These are all things that should have been taken care of by my realtor, but I had to lead them on how to do these things. This is why I feel the way I do. I have been trained by the realtor professional to not depend on them for anything. So don't say another word to me about professionalism because you and I both know that there are many realtors out there that should not be in the business. And how is the consumer to know, especially someone who moves alot and has not been in one location for their entire lifetime and knowing reputations of people.

All you realtors are not doing your profession any favors by attacking me. Remember others are reading these posts and see how defensive you are. If you are doing such a great job for your customers, you would apologize that I have had such bad experiences and offer some constructive advice to sunset bound. But no you have spent this entire thread attacking me and sunset bound over a simple request for wording in an ad.

I will be leaving this thread before my opinion of realtors gets really bad. Good luck sunset bound on your home sale.
This is a wonderful case in a way. Actually there are two sets of RE Agent responses. One says puff it or take the puffery from the seller. The other says the seller wants unethical words so you can't do it.

There is not really sufficient information to tell precisely which is correct.

But note that you only noticed those that disagreed with you. And quite well ignored those that did not.

They may say a lot about your view of Real Estate Agents rather than shedding any real light on the question.

Note also that the use of PofAs and such is a localism that may not be dealt with by the RE Agents. In Nevada it is a routine thing handled by escrow.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:50 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,000,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
This is a wonderful case in a way. Actually there are two sets of RE Agent responses. One says puff it or take the puffery from the seller. The other says the seller wants unethical words so you can't do it.

There is not really sufficient information to tell precisely which is correct.

But note that you only noticed those that disagreed with you. And quite well ignored those that did not.

They may say a lot about your view of Real Estate Agents rather than shedding any real light on the question.

Note also that the use of PofAs and such is a localism that may not be dealt with by the RE Agents. In Nevada it is a routine thing handled by escrow.
In VA it's the title company that handles POA. I just went through this when hubby and I bought our home there.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:

First, I would like to point out that I knew my response above was not done in a nice way, but it was done in the same context of the post I was responding too. That's why I put in the paragraph at the end. If that original post was done in such a nice way as this one is done, you wouldn't have heard a peep from me. I saw people ranting (true, in writing) on this thread of how bad agents are, without looking at their own posts at how bad they came across. The worst thing about a message board is that you can't hear or see how someone is actually feeling when writing these words.

I have to tell you, if your agent didn't know about the power of attorney, or relocation papers (or at least know how to figure them out), you should've replaced them. As for Sunset Bound, she didn't have a simple request for wording an ad. It's obvious that the home is not how she wants it worded. If she knew her house was one way, and the agent wasn't going to do what she said, why is she still using that agent? I believe that we have to put 2 plus 2 here to get 4, not what Sunset Bound is doing.

I do apologize for my rant last night, if you look at my other posts I am not that way, but please re-read yours and put yourself in the realtors shoes too.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:43 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,976,190 times
Quote:
Actually, there are three responses from Realtors. The other being "no micromanagement allowed".

There is no right or wrong approach, just right or wrong matches between clients and agents. Clients deserve to have an agent who is compatible with the client's wants and expectations, but it's also fair that the client shouldn't remain silent about those wants and expectations until after the listing is taken, then try to micromanage the agent.

I hope I'm making it clear that I don't think either way or good or bad. I happen to not allow clients to dictate my actions, but that doesn't mean I thing every agent should agree with me.

Steve

Old 02-21-2008, 12:04 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,979,979 times
Sunset, how have your tenants maintained the property? When were you last there? Are they parting on good terms? Is there a possibility that there could be hidden defects that you are not aware of?
I had this happen with one of my listings. Owner lived out of state, drove up to list it and it looked OK. Not great. I could tell the owner was going to have to hire a cleaning company. After the tenant left, Owner had to have a dumpster placed in the driveway and hire a company to clean it out. Pictures hid holes in the walls, furniture hid animal stains. Carpeting had to be torn out and floor boards replaced. There were other things too, but you get my drift.
Your Realtor may actually be worried about shedding too much light on the interior by opening the curtains. If they're closed all the time, there may be a very good reason.
Hopefully your tenant does vacate by 3/1 and both you and your Realtor can get a better look at what you're dealing with.
Best of Luck to you.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:04 PM

339 posts, read 1,514,813 times
Well, to throw in a BUYERS perspective from someone who has looked through and tracked MLS listings for over a year now, I will say this:

Using adjectives in the description of the home can sometimes make me skeptical about the items the adjectives are trying to describe. Basically, I think the home needs to speak for itself and this can initially be portrayed in the photos.

If the seller thinks the home is bright, then the photos should reflect that and let me, the BUYER, come to that conclusion myself. If the seller feels the crown molding is lovely, then show it in a picture and let me, the BUYER, come to that conclusion.

When the seller or agent feels the need to tell me, the BUYER, that the home is bright, wonderful, lovely, etc. - I tend to ask myself, "Umm, why would they need to explicitly tell me this rather than showing me this? What are they trying to hide or what other things about the home are they trying to steer me away from?" I'm not saying at all that sellers and agents are intentionally trying to hide anything, but that question will still be at the forefront for me. It's like saying - if the seller feels the need to use adjectives to steer me to the positives (rather than stating simple facts - i.e., hardwood floor, crown molding, bay windows) then it drives me be more critical of the positives and to seek out the negatives they are not mentioning.

Personally, I find I am much less critical of homes with factual descriptions only because then I am making the value judgment about those items myself. When adjectives have been associated with the factual items, I am also then evaluating the subjective adjective along with the item. Because I look at and compare so many listings (and I would assume many buyers in this market are) adjectives that I disagree with can QUICKLY make me move a home at the top of my list to the bottom of my list or off the list completely! This may seem a bit petty but with so much inventory to choose from, I can afford to do it!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,115,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset bound View Post
any thoughts?
Yep - let your REALTOR do their job.

Most MLS's allow keyword searches. I will not have a buyer looking for "bright and cheery" - I will have one looking though for hardwood floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate