Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:40 PM

490 posts, read 840,585 times

Advertisements

We just recently moved into a condo (HOA community) less than a year ago. It's been great - nice and peaceful area, convenient, with generally decent neighbors.

Each building has 3 condos, 2 3bdrm/2car and 1 2bdrm/1car. They seem pretty well isolated from each
other by design and perhaps materials between walls. I know the attics have their own walls between
each condo, in case of fire it helps keep it isolated. At night I don't really ever hear either of my neighbors.
The way it's designed is: front of building has the 3 garages for all 3 condos, the upper level front side above the garages belongs to the 2bdrm/1car condo (mine). The back side of the building is split between the 2 other 3bdrm/2car condos, each having a downstairs living area and kitchen and upstairs bedrooms.

Anyway, out of concern for one of my neighbors one day, I asked if they ever hear our dog barking (but forgot to specify whether they hear it from inside their home), and they said yes, but didn't seem that bothered by it..well, they basically said "it's a dog".. almost like "it's expected - what can you do?". But I told them if they do get bothered by it to please let me know and I'll try to address it and resolve such an issue.

My other neighbor is an old couple with a grown up son that just moved in. I haven't spoken to them so I don't know what they're like.

Anyway, today I come home this late afternoon and see a piece of paper with a note on it, and on top of the note 2 small dried pieces of dog poop. Someone left an anonymous note on my doormat, saying "Pick up your poop!" "Also, your dog is always barking! Sick of it!"... no condo number, no name, no contact info, nothing.

As far as the poop goes, we've been pretty diligent (especially as of late) about picking up all of our dog's poop. And today, I asked my family member if they picked up the poop today and got confirmation that they did pick it up. So it's likely the complainer saw some other dog's poop and assumed it was our dog's?

In any case, I have no way of contacting the person to discuss and understand his/her grievance and the context (is it someone from my building? immediate building adjacent to mine? where and when does the dog bark so as to bother the neighbor? how are you sure it's my dog's poop in this instance?).

For most of the day, my dog doesn't bark, but when my cat gets up on the kitchen counter or when he sees a dog or other thing out the window, he will likely bark for a while until he no longer sees the thing prompting him to bark. But when he does bark, it can get annoying. One walks, he may bark at bigger dogs non-stop unless I pull him away.

The thing is, I have no way to address this with the neighbor or talk to them to understand better the specific complaints and how to best address them, which seems to be a little non-constructive to just leave an anonymous note with some sample poop on top.

What would be the best way to address these situations? I'm concerned the person, without going through other channels to address it, may opt to go to the HOA by filing a complaint eventually...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 PM

9,895 posts, read 14,186,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post

As far as the poop goes, we've been pretty diligent (especially as of late) about picking up all of our dog's poop. .
What does this mean? "Pretty diligent"? "Especially as of late"?

I've owned dogs my entire life and I've NEVER EVER left dog poop in any public or common area. Never has happened. There has been times where I've opened up an already used bag to use it again. There have been times where I have waited for 15 minutes until someone else walked by who may have a bag. There have been times that I've gone home to get a bag and come back to pick it up (this was very rare, as I never wanted anyone to think I was just leaving it.) And there have been times that I picked it up with my hand. All of these times are few and far between (and usually a result of a sick dog), as I never leave the house without multiple bags.

So to say "pretty diligent" indicates that you "try" to pick it up, and maybe don't always do a great job.

And to say, "especially as of late" indicates that there was some incident that triggered more attention. But, if you were always picking up, why would there ever be a need for more attention?

So, I wouldn't focus on the barking (as that is likely something minor), but focus on making sure that you NEVER EVER leave poop anywhere outside of you own private controlled area.

UGH....people who don't pick up dog poop are as repulsive to me as people who illegally park in disabled spots.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:34 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,266,897 times
Quote:

For most of the day, my dog doesn't bark, but when my cat gets up on the kitchen counter or when he sees a dog or other thing out the window, he will likely bark for a while until he no longer sees the thing prompting him to bark. But when he does bark, it can get annoying. One walks, he may bark at bigger dogs non-stop unless I pull him away.

What would be the best way to address these situations? I'm concerned the person, without going through other channels to address it, may opt to go to the HOA by filing a complaint eventually...
The poop situation can be fixed by always picking it up but the barking is a problem. You need to figure out how to stop it before this escalates. Cat and dog in separate rooms maybe? Whatever it takes.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:04 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,188,044 times
well, ecsdude, you certainly touched a nerve of the above two posters who neither can read thoroughly or are just haters.

What you might do is engage each of the two other owners (not their guest/son). Tell them about the note and be firm that you do not leave your dogs poop behind when you walk him. Period. Do not apologize about the dog barking occasionally, although do be sympathetic to the problem of noise. Yes, it sounds like the son is trying to make trouble.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:17 AM

5,297 posts, read 5,257,111 times
Quote:
We just recently moved into a condo (HOA community) less than a year ago. It's been great - nice and peaceful area, convenient, with generally decent neighbors.

Each building has 3 condos, 2 3bdrm/2car and 1 2bdrm/1car. They seem pretty well isolated from each
other by design and perhaps materials between walls. I know the attics have their own walls between
each condo, in case of fire it helps keep it isolated. At night I don't really ever hear either of my neighbors.
The way it's designed is: front of building has the 3 garages for all 3 condos, the upper level front side above the garages belongs to the 2bdrm/1car condo (mine). The back side of the building is split between the 2 other 3bdrm/2car condos, each having a downstairs living area and kitchen and upstairs bedrooms.

Anyway, out of concern for one of my neighbors one day, I asked if they ever hear our dog barking (but forgot to specify whether they hear it from inside their home), and they said yes, but didn't seem that bothered by it..well, they basically said "it's a dog".. almost like "it's expected - what can you do?". But I told them if they do get bothered by it to please let me know and I'll try to address it and resolve such an issue.

My other neighbor is an old couple with a grown up son that just moved in. I haven't spoken to them so I don't know what they're like.

Anyway, today I come home this late afternoon and see a piece of paper with a note on it, and on top of the note 2 small dried pieces of dog poop. Someone left an anonymous note on my doormat, saying "Pick up your poop!" "Also, your dog is always barking! Sick of it!"... no condo number, no name, no contact info, nothing.

As far as the poop goes, we've been pretty diligent (especially as of late) about picking up all of our dog's poop. And today, I asked my family member if they picked up the poop today and got confirmation that they did pick it up. So it's likely the complainer saw some other dog's poop and assumed it was our dog's?

In any case, I have no way of contacting the person to discuss and understand his/her grievance and the context (is it someone from my building? immediate building adjacent to mine? where and when does the dog bark so as to bother the neighbor? how are you sure it's my dog's poop in this instance?).

The thing is, I have no way to address this with the neighbor or talk to them to understand better the specific complaints and how to best address them, which seems to be a little non-constructive to just leave an anonymous note with some sample poop on top.

What about this is hard to understand? You've left dog poop where it doesnt belong, and your dog is barking. What else did he have to say? The best way to address these situations is pick up the dog poop ALL THE TIME, not just be "pretty diligent", and stop your dog from barking, however you have to do it. Either get a dog sitter, or take the dog to a doggie day care.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:24 AM

6,579 posts, read 8,441,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
What you might do is engage each of the two other owners (not their guest/son). Tell them about the note and be firm that you do not leave your dogs poop behind when you walk him. Period. Do not apologize about the dog barking occasionally, although do be sympathetic to the problem of noise. Yes, it sounds like the son is trying to make trouble.
^^This is what I suggest doing.

If the barking is an issue for either neighbor, close the window shades at least.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:42 AM

30,739 posts, read 18,375,818 times
Yep, agree with many of the above posts. While the dog poop may not have been from your dog in this instance (although, OP, from your post, it appears that you do not always pick up after your dog, which is disgusting), I would not put up with the kind of dog barking that you describe. If your dog barks at things it sees out the window, consider getting dark drapes or keeping it in another room (the latter point can also be made for the issue with your cat). I wouldn't put up with that for one second if I was your neighbor.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:00 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,235,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep, agree with many of the above posts. While the dog poop may not have been from your dog in this instance (although, OP, from your post, it appears that you do not always pick up after your dog, which is disgusting), I would not put up with the kind of dog barking that you describe. If your dog barks at things it sees out the window, consider getting dark drapes or keeping it in another room (the latter point can also be made for the issue with your cat). I wouldn't put up with that for one second if I was your neighbor.
I have another point of view. We used to own a dog and live in a condo. Our dog barked only when he happened to be in the living room looking out the window when our neighbor walked by their dog (it did not bark at all dogs just that one dog) or when a squirrel was on the deck while our dog was in front of the sliding glass door. So, it may have been as little as once a day or once every few days that our dog barked at something outside of the window.

Now, if the dog was like my SIL's dog. Oh Vey! It is always looking outside (his dog bed is in front of the window) and barks at every bird it sees, it barks at cars in the driveway, it barks at leaves blowing past the window, it barks if a cloud goes by and leaves a big shadow on the ground. They live on a multiple acre lot so it does not matter. But you get my point. It could be a BIG problem or a tiny problem.

BTW. Pick up dog poop each and every time that you dog goes to the bathroom.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:37 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,154,396 times
Pick up your dogs poop. Always. Every time. That is gross leaving it out.

Close the window shades.

Are you really surprised you got the note?

You know your dog barks to the point where you had to ask your neighbor.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,281,354 times
"Pick up your poop!" "Also, your dog is always barking!"
Change these and it will be resolved. A face to face isn't necessary since obviously they came to you first, before HOA. You have your chance, take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate