Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 04:28 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,345,213 times

Advertisements

Has anyone sold their property to a Real Estate Investor?

Good or bad experiences?

Received a post card in the mail saying they want to give me a cash offer for my home. I'm not stupid to believe i'm special, of course, but i'm getting ready to list my home soon. I wonder how (or if) they know that.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 04:32 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
No--that don't know that. It's a mass mailing looking for people in financial trouble. They will not pay you anything close to what you want. They make money by paying far less than market value.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Received a post card in the mail saying they want to give me a cash offer for my home.
They probably heard about the bathroom rehab and assume the rest of the house needs similar.

What an investor offers is a no-nonsense contract and quick closing...
at a price that allows them to make money on the house as a rental.

Prime retail price? Not so much.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:46 PM

Thanks.

I've been checking into it online a bit and it does look like there's both good and bad. You will get a lower price for the house, but avoid many costs including commission. It's interesting. Also we all know that a house listed with a Realtor can stay on the market many years. One did here on our street for over 5 yrs. But i do think the market has picked up around here.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:48 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Neighbor in our community sold her home to an investor. I'm not sure about the post card.

She accepted about 15% - 20% less than comparable homes sold for that summer.

But she didn't have to do a thing. No cleaning, painting, repairs, staging, mulching... They agreed on a price. She held several estate sales and then she moved to a retirement community.

Investor came in with a crew, fixed the place up and rented it out.

She was ready to move on and it was worth it to her to sell it with minimum fuss and bother.

Just depends on what you want and how much your time and energy is worth it to you.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Neighbor in our community sold her home to an investor. I'm not sure about the post card.

She accepted about 15% - 20% less than comparable homes sold for that summer.

But she didn't have to do a thing. No cleaning, painting, repairs, staging, mulching... They agreed on a price. She held several estate sales and then she moved to a retirement community.

Investor came in with a crew, fixed the place up and rented it out.

She was ready to move on and it was worth it to her to sell it with minimum fuss and bother.

Just depends on what you want and how much your time and energy is worth it to you.
Thanks, some of it sounds good. I did see that you can even leave old furniture etc. that you may not be able to get rid of. We are retired, and the taxes are too high here. I need to get out of this state. I will definitely weigh all options.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:55 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Thanks, some of it sounds good. I did see that you can even leave old furniture etc. that you may not be able to get rid of. We are retired, and the taxes are too high here. I need to get out of this state. I will definitely weigh all options.
You could always check and see what an investor would offer for the house as-is and compare that to what similar houses are selling for.

You could pack up what you wanted to keep and put it in a pod and let the new owners deal with what is left behind.

But if the as-is investor discount seems steep, you can always hire work done.

People will pack your stuff up, clean your windows, manage estate sales, mulch your garden beds, make repairs paint... there even outfits that will come and clear everything out in return for getting whatever is left.

If we were to put our home up for sale, it would cost us about $10K to get ready.

$5K for removing popcorn ceilings and painting and $5K for repairs, mulch, cleaning services, etc. and that's if we didn't need to replace the A/C or discover some other problem.

So, if homes similar to ours sell for $400K and an investor offered us $380K, closing in a month, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

$10K to avoid all the staging, and showing... You bet.

But I'm guessing investors' bids would be low to mid $300Ks. Otherwise, there would be no profit for them.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:00 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
It's the equivalent of selling your car at a used car lot.

You're going to take a hit on the price in exchange for the convenience of a quick and painless sale.

Most people who are not in financial straits typically don't do it.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:03 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I sold to an investor but it was after listing my house, an investor just happened to be the one who made the offer. It was certainly nice to have a closing 2 weeks after we were under contract. But he didn't get any discounts.

I would be willing to hear what offer he was going to make but you need to know the realistic market value of your home for comparison purposes. A small amount off for the ease of the transaction, sure. But if it's going to be 10s of thousands off what you could get? Well, only you can say whether you are ok with that money in his pocket rather than yours. I know I wouldn't be.

and fwiw, I am skeptical than an investor would be interested in a house in an area where a reasonably price home could languish on the market for 5 years as you mentioned. There was either some fatal flaw with that house combined with a completely unrealistic price, or you should expect a rock bottom low ball offer on yours if the market is that bad. Rule number one is that the investor is not going to lose money on this deal, or they wouldn't be soliciting properties to buy.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:44 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
I contacted an investor that sent a letter to my mother's estate about her 2 rental properties that are next door to each other. Its a hot market.

Houses are selling for $340-$350k, The houses were appraised at $343k in April. Its a very hot market, an affordable suburb of LA. The houses in the five block neighborhood are cookie cutter houses, older and each exactly the same floor plan. Only differences are the back patios. Very desirable neighborhood, one renter was there 20+years, the other 40 years.

He did not want to look inside the houses, just a drive by. They are currently rented and he said he would buy them with the renters in place without asking anything like what is the rent, do they pay on time, anything. No commission, no termite inspection, nothing required of us.

BUT he offered $210k each. So, way too low for us! Over 1/3 off the price, even considering commission and closing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate