Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:48 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

It’s Time to Stop Hating on the McMansion

But now, with two kids and 18 consecutive years in New York City, the charm of my own fourth-floor walk-up and my city’s mediocre schnitzel may be wearing off—I think McMansions are friggin’ awesome.

And, as it turns out, more and more Americans are agreeing with me....

...To be honest, my previous disapproval, and perhaps the larger cultural dis on McMansions, was not just about suburban sprawl. It was some weird, sideways class warfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 01:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
My idea of a McMansion is a giant home with a 5' side yard setback, right next to another one.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:18 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
What I do not like is a large home squeezed into a small place. A home not in harmony with its surroundings. Cheap/artificial materials like foam/plastic crown molding. The most negatives I see are from people unable to afford one.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
The thing is, what the author was showing, was their preference for North East U.S. homes. The type of home they envision, is not what most people in the country live in. Ranch style is all one story, and will have a front entry attached garage, and has been the choice of homes in much of the country since early 1900s. Spanish architecture popular in other areas, etc. What the author thinks all homes should look like, may be popular in certain areas of the country, but non existent in others.

Our home is a 3,700 sq. ft. 4 level home, which is the only one like it in our area. Living room soars 25 feet of window wall. Lots of moss rock inside and out. Fireplace is set in a 25 foot high moss rock wall area. People look at it and talk about it, none with the disdain shown by the author, and I have heard many compliments of the home, by people that did not know we lived in it. It sits on 5 acres with a 500 foot rail fence leading to it. Has a nice barn, and stable.

The author must really hate homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. If you do not know who he is, you would not know he was one of the most award winning, and most respected architects in the world, designing some of the most famous and most expensive homes in the world. Here are some of his most famous and most respected. From the comments by the author in the starting link, it shows how little real taste that he/she has. Wanting cheap North Eastern Cookie Cutter style homes, not the award winning homes by one of the world's most famous architects and loved by the people with real architectural taste, and the financial ability to own them.

http://tinyurl.com/h5qhpwh

Old 08-12-2016, 03:54 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
A house is like art....... if you love it....... that is all that matters.
I think a house needs to fit into the community of houses surrounding it. The community, especially surrounding neighbors, should not be overwhelmed with a McMansion erected in their midst.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:48 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
I think a house needs to fit into the community of houses surrounding it. The community, especially surrounding neighbors, should not be overwhelmed with a McMansion erected in their midst.
This is not always possible to do, in areas such as the Silicon Valley where there is a shortage of property to develop. In these situations, there is not much choice, but to find a lot in an area you like, buy the property for as much as a million dollars and tear it down to have a lot to build your dream home on. It is not what you want to do, it is what you have to do in areas without a lot of land available to build on.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:07 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The thing is, what the author was showing, was their preference for North East U.S. homes. The type of home they envision, is not what most people in the country live in. Ranch style is all one story, and will have a front entry attached garage, and has been the choice of homes in much of the country since early 1900s. Spanish architecture popular in other areas, etc. What the author thinks all homes should look like, may be popular in certain areas of the country, but non existent in others.

Our home is a 3,700 sq. ft. 4 level home, which is the only one like it in our area. Living room soars 25 feet of window wall. Lots of moss rock inside and out. Fireplace is set in a 25 foot high moss rock wall area. People look at it and talk about it, none with the disdain shown by the author, and I have heard many compliments of the home, by people that did not know we lived in it. It sits on 5 acres with a 500 foot rail fence leading to it. Has a nice barn, and stable.

The author must really hate homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. If you do not know who he is, you would not know he was one of the most award winning, and most respected architects in the world, designing some of the most famous and most expensive homes in the world. Here are some of his most famous and most respected. From the comments by the author in the starting link, it shows how little real taste that he/she has. Wanting cheap North Eastern Cookie Cutter style homes, not the award winning homes by one of the world's most famous architects and loved by the people with real architectural taste, and the financial ability to own them.

frank lloyd wright houses - Google Search
Frank Lloyd Wright did not design McMansions. Did the OP even mention Frank Lloyd Wright?? If so, I missed it.

Size is not the only factor in determining what makes a McMansion a McMansion. Lack of consistency, tossing in one design element after another without rhyme nor reason, ostentation, often out of scale to the lot and out of character to the neighborhood - all these are found in McMansions. It's not just about size.

And not all ranch houses have attached, front-facing garages. The one I once owned does not. Instead,it has a separate garage which is faced with the same fieldstone that covers the house.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:12 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
The whole concept of "good taste" being an objective standard is completely asinine.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:17 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
Very interesting article; thanks for posting.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:38 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

frank lloyd wright houses - Google Search
Oh boy, appeal to Wright as if that was the be all in architecture. Frankly I think he was over-rated. His work might have been beautiful "art" but not often functional or economical. The "lost" plan home just built on Florida Southern campus fits the art over function and economy well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Size is not the only factor in determining what makes a McMansion a McMansion. Lack of consistency, tossing in one design element after another without rhyme nor reason, ostentation, often out of scale to the lot and out of character to the neighborhood - all these are found in McMansions. It's not just about size..

Thank you. I think that is key to a McMansion vs a well designed home. Elements that just don't work. Taken out of context and thrown on because, well, just because. Keystones over a plain, rectangular, vinyl window where structurally they don't belong. Angled bays right beside square bays such that one bay looks into the other in the same room. Rooms that are 10 feet square with 28 feet vaulted ceilings. Brick, stone, vinyl, stucco mixed almost at random. Basically take all the features from architectural magazines and stick them together like legos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate