Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:16 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have a hard time making sense of the layout as it is all open.

I think it because it has several rooms combined together so you need the furniture to break up the spaces.
The open floor plan like your cousin has, is the most popular type of home there is. It is the hot must have type home for the millennial generation. Personally I hate them, but the young crowed loves them, because if is not like the homes they grew up in, and defines their generation.

Quote:
Realistically any new build comparable to the materials of yesteryear is going to be too expensive to build again. Personally my preference was a smaller home with more detail and solid materials.
Today the millennial generation that is starting to buy homes, likes simplicity the same as they like open floor plans. In the past cove moldings were very prevalent in certain parts of the country, but in others they did not even exist. What people call detail. The younger generation, want very plain interiors and open floor plans.

Builders, build what buyers will buy. It is the buyers that set the building trends, not the builders. Builders cannot afford to build homes, that the majority of the buyers will not buy. They buy, whatever the buyers demand and want. Build houses that buyers do not want, and they sit there unsold, and the builders construction money dries up and they are soon out of business. Build what the majority of the available buyers are looking for, and you will be pre-selling the homes and going as fast as you can.

When a builder is planning a development they have to evaluate. 1--What size homes, will sell the quickest in that part of the country. 3---What style of home will sell the best and quickest. 3--What price range of home will sell and make the most profit for the year.

Taking those 3 factors into consideration, they then have their architects work with the construction foreman to design a home that will sell and still be reasonably priced to build.

Then you set up to build the home that will sell quickly at the most profit to the builder, but at the same time being you are in competition with the other builders, you have to keep construction cost tightly controlled as you have to be competitive in price with other builders.

If you don't like the homes builders are building, don't blame the builders. Blame the buyers, who dictate the size, style, and quality of the homes the builders will be building. They are building what they can pre-sell as the homes are being built. They can't afford to build homes that there is no market for.

Some of you will hate them, and even call them McMansions to insult the owners, but the owners bought the home that they liked and desired. It is their dream home. It is the size and style they want to own.

3,000 to 4,000 sq. ft. are the homes that this generation wants, with open floor plans, and lack of detail. They are getting what they want. Why should the ones that hate them, dictate what the best market for homes, with the income and ability to pay for them can buy. They can't, but they sure can complain about other peoples dream homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:52 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
A Facebook friend shared this article a few days ago, and I thought about sharing, but never got around to it. Thanks for posting, OP!

Old 08-16-2016, 04:22 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
rodentraiser, thank you for the picture link of San Francisco.
I'd say You're Welcome except I'm not the one who posted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate