Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:28 PM

5,312 posts, read 2,095,543 times

Advertisements

Are you estimating for the maple trees or have you measured? They can get 100' tall...high, yes, but not 200' except for rare specimens maybe. Try the gutter guards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 05:02 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,401,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Get gutter guards
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-17-2016, 07:48 PM

145 posts, read 167,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
One may want to have some legal advice before proceeding with such a tactic.

Since when is a natural enhancement to nature viewed as negative. We need more trees, not less in urban settings. Besides which, I question what trees grow to be 200 feet in height. Sequios? Australian Mountain
Ash? Not many more than that.
While I do love trees I'm sympathetic with the OP about the future mess he'll deal with and damage to the retaining wall although I'm not clear on who owns the wall. And yes you could put yourself in financial jeopardy if you damage someone else's property.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,548,259 times
Good grief! They're trees no mountains of dog poo. If you're really so concerned, walk your butt around the corner and talk to the owners. That would make a lot more sense than complaining to folks on the internet who can't do anything for you. It's his yard. If he wants to plant a tree every 3 feet, that's his right. Talk about a first world problem!

Do you live in the Redwood Forest? It's rare for a tree today to grow to 200 feet. I have 50+ year old maples - several different species - and not one is 200 feet tall.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:22 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,617,881 times
Wrap your house in a bubble. Problem solved.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,241,544 times
If you dislike trees and neighbors, why did you buy a house in an area with trees and neighbors?

It is not at all unreasonable to assume that people will plant trees along property lines. It has been going on for thousands of years.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,708,762 times
If you live in many cities, now that they have been planted it would be against the law to remove them without getting a city permit to remove the trees. Cities are encouraging people to plant trees in their yards, and will not let people cut them down if they are in good health.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:22 PM

606 posts, read 726,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Be sure you do nothing to damage or kill the trees.

MY daughter about 12 years ago in California had some beautiful cottonwood trees about 15 feet inside her line in the back yard. Made her backyard a very nice place to be in the summer. Her neighbor hated trees, so used an injector to send weed killer down 4 feet, to kill the roots of her trees.

My daughter took him to court herself, and collected just over $40,000 for the value of the trees, plus the costs to take them out, plus replace them. It is amazing how much the court thought each tree was worth at the size they were. The court put a lien on his property, that had a 3 month time frame to pay my daughter in full, or they would lose the home to her. Really broke the other property owner, financially.
I got to call BS on this one! How could she prove someone injected a poison unless they caught it on camera? No way a judge would take someones home for such a silly feud.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:30 PM

757 posts, read 832,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
I got to call BS on this one! How could she prove someone injected a poison unless they caught it on camera? No way a judge would take someones home for such a silly feud.
How is it silly? A neighbor did willful damage with enough evidence to convince a judge and justice was meted out. There are details we do not know to be sure. But, if a neighbor of mine comes onto my property and damages it, then that is not silly. That is criminal.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:43 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,525,325 times
Not all trees have invasive roots. Maples aren't really known for that, except one or two kinds. Do you know what kind of maple trees they are? If they have a deep tap root, they won't break the concrete. Note that there are trees that are planted in downtown areas in holes cut in concrete, and they don't break the concrete. They are trees with deep taproots and not invasive roots. So find out what kind of root system those trees have before you worry about that.

I think it's reasonable to worry about the concrete damage, except I don't really understand that it's his concrete retaining wall, not yours...you have your own that is four feet lower or something?

As for the leaves....you know, we all live in a world with other people and other houses and animals. You can't expect to keep the world out of your yard. Squirrels will hide nuts in your yard, stray cats may walk through, leaves will blow onto it, birds will land in those trees and sing so that you can hear them through your windows.

Mature trees can add thousands of dollars in value to a home (the right kinds of trees, that is), as well as lower utility bills, and encourage birds and other little animals, all of which are very good things.

There are gutter guards for your gutters, so it's really not much of a problem. Do you view leaves as such a big deal because you don't have trees, so you didn't expect to have leaves on your property?

I love leaves. I leave them scattered on my lawn, unless they get to be a problem. And then I have them mulched. I love trees. But I can understand the problem with a neighbor's tree hanging over your property. If I were you, I'd cut their trees back to their property line, and leave it at that.

But if the kind of tree it is has invasive roots, I might talk to the neighbor friendly like, just to make them aware of it. Present it like you are familiar with those trees and know that their roots are invasive, so they will be damaging the retaining wall in the future. (But look up the tree first, and see if the roots really are invasive.) If they don't plan to stay but a few more years, they may not care. But they probably would, if they plan to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate