Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:07 AM

1,504 posts, read 850,649 times

Advertisements

Trees are good....if they grow large and start to rub up against your building causing real damage to the roof and gutters etc - or to the foundations of the building then the trees have to go. A few leaves in the gutter is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 07:54 AM

145 posts, read 167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Jean View Post
Saltwater. But you didn't hear it from me.

We had a neighbor years ago who planted a row of pine trees down the edge of his driveway on a one foot wide strip he owned. It created a tremendous mess for my parents to deal with.
Ok, to clarify for future reference. I'm not advocating destruction or vandalism of someone's property. It's not something I would do, just random thoughts.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:30 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Ok, to clarify for future reference. I'm not advocating destruction or vandalism of someone's property. It's not something I would do, just random thoughts.
Salt water is great for killing weeds and unwanted trash trees, when small, on one's own property, instead of chemicals. I think a lot of people don't know that. I read that somewhere and tried it, and it worked. But maybe they were weeds and easy to kill. I don't remember. It has to be strong strong salt solution, too. The good thing about it is that I knew that it wouldn't hurt my dogs, if they happened to nibble in that area.

But yeah...if you do it to someone else's trees, that could get you in big trouble, if they found out. I'm not sure salt water is strong enough to kill a big tree, though. I've used it just on those small twigs that would turn out to be trashy trees when grown, and on weeds.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
I got to call BS on this one! How could she prove someone injected a poison unless they caught it on camera? No way a judge would take someones home for such a silly feud.
Likely was witnessed by another neighbor since he had to go onto her property to do it.

The property next door was vacant while for sale and became an attraction for neighborhood kids. Came home one day and an entire section of my fence was broken from the outside. Mentioned it in passing to another neighbor who told me he had chased some kids off that property the same day. Their parents paid for my fence when he and I spoke to them. If it had been a lawsuit an eye witness neighbor is usually considered credible by the court, especially with how easy it is to test soil for glycophosophate.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:53 AM

633 posts, read 581,255 times
Quote:
Saltwater. But you didn't hear it from me.

We had a neighbor years ago who planted a row of pine trees down the edge of his driveway on a one foot wide strip he owned. It created a tremendous mess for my parents to deal with.
Rock Salt like you use on the sidewalk, pour the bag around tree right before a rain storm.

Also ground clear is good. Also periodically check for roots coming under fence, and cut them and apply poison to roots after you cut. Some trees cooper is a killer too.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:35 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if your neighbor put these trees in an area where they probably shouldn't go - this odd, terraced-sounding space at the border of your lots, then get off the internet and walk around the corner and introduce yourself and provide them information.

For example, I am dealing right now with some ungodly Leyland Cypresses that were planted by the owner before me, but now have reach full height, maturity, and PITA factor. So, I talked to my neighbor. Start there.

This makes sense to me. If the ground/wall gives way, the trees are going to fall on your house. Maybe the trees can be moved farther in on your neighbors property without damaging them if they have been recently planted.

I think they have the potential for giving you worse problems than leaves in your gutters, if I am picturing the situation correctly.

(I like trees)

Old 08-18-2016, 11:56 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
My neighbor just planted about 5 broadleaf trees right at the property line. In my part of the country, they grow rapidly and will reach 200' tall with a 50' diameter crown. It'll take 50 years to get that large, but in another 5 or 10 years they'll be large enough to drop a ton of leaves on my property.

Because of how our houses are situated (the back of his property faces my property line, and we live on two different strees), I don't know him nor do I ever see him. Likely, he'll be oblivious to the mess that his trees will create every fall.

Can I bill him for the cleanup costs that his trees are creating?

Eventually the trees will extend above my roofline, and the dropped leaves will have to be cleaned from the roof each fall to prevent water damage.

No, trimming vertically along the property line won't solve the problem.
Congrats - mature trees increase property values and reduce summer AC costs. And they also introduce class - which some people just can't buy or figure out.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I think it's pretty clear why the neighbor planted trees on OP's side. Trees do a good job of blocking out problem neighbors.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:57 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
[quote=tiredtired;45163625]The other issue, and probably the one more concerning, is the trees are planted right next to a concrete retaining wall that divides our property (mine is 4 feet lower than theirs), and if the tree roots push out against the retaining wall, they could do expensive damage. I've read conflicting information about whether tree roots push horizontally like they do vertically (such as under a sidewalk), but it is worrisome that they are that close to a retaining wall.

Yes you could worry and fret and live in the land of what if's but is that wise?

What if the trees were already there before you moved in? This could go on and on.

The bottom line is that your neighbor has the right to put what ever he wants on his property. You can talk to him about your concerns and hope that he is a good neighbor, or you can be enemies over it.

I had trees on a rental hanging over the neighbors house. It was damaging an already shot roof. Their lazy son could not be bothered to climb up on a ladder and trim the branches. The father is too ill to do it. I'm not obligated to maintain their property because of what nature has created. Cutting those trees down also opened up a view into their junk yard looking yard that house three big dogs and the smell that goes along with it to my tenants and the neighbors next to my house. The other neighbors are not happy to see that view that was so nicely hidden by the trees. It would be nice if you could make everyone happy, but you just can't.

I took the high road and the expensive one and had the trees removed. I was interested in being a good neighbor, but I will not buy them a new roof. It is their responsibility to maintain their own property, just as it's your responsibility to maintain your own property.

Our neighbors have large maple trees on the parkway which is technically village property. The home owners are responsible for cutting the grass on the parkways. These trees generate tons of whirly, helicopter seeds that infiltrate my garden, flower beds, and gutters. I'm sure the village officials would laugh me out of the office if I asked them to clean up after the trees that technically belong to the village. Ya think?

Those trees give us an absolutely gorgeous fall display and are a welcome sight with their intense emerald green in the spring. Yes I have to clean up after them twice a year, but they're so worth it.

Your concerns boil down to if you're able to maintain your property or not? If you're not, are you looking for a way to defer the responsibility on to some one else like my neighbors next to the rental did to me? If so then maybe it's time to move to something maintenance free. Why stress yourself out?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
I got to call BS on this one! How could she prove someone injected a poison unless they caught it on camera? No way a judge would take someones home for such a silly feud.
Wrong all around. It was easy to prove. He bragged about how he killed her trees at a neighborhood party, and there were several witnesses that gave sworn statements, and would have appeared in court if needed.

He did not go on her property, but used one of those pipe type injectors, often used to inject fertilizer, pushing it under the concrete wall at an angle. It only requires injecting into some of the roots to kill trees if you use a very strong weed killer.

And yes, a judge will put a lien on a persons home, to insure paying a debt, and a lien can be foreclosed if not paid. I spent from 1972 till I retired as a real estate broker. I saw numerous situations where a lien on file, allowed the lien holder to force a sale at auction to satisfy the lien/court judgement.

It is not a silly feud when someone who hates trees, does damage to the neighbors trees. It is called malicious and intentional damage to another's property. Under the law, you cannot damage/destroy the neighbors property that you do not like, such as trees, a garage you don't like, his front porch, his car parked in his driveway, or anything else on the neighbors property just because you don't like it.

My daughter knew how to do this, as she had seen numerous cases like this in the areas we lived, as she would work for me in my office during summer vacations while going to college.

Last edited by oldtrader; 08-18-2016 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate