Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:45 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, when does a listing go stale? Also, what is the common pattern for price reductions?

A couple of houses on my block have been on the market for months and months and it's supposed to be a hot market here. One house had at least 4 open houses, and the r.e. agent doesn't bother getting the lawn mowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 08:50 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,420,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
In your opinion, when does a listing go stale? Also, what is the common pattern for price reductions?

A couple of houses on my block have been on the market for months and months and it's supposed to be a hot market here. One house had at least 4 open houses, and the r.e. agent doesn't bother getting the lawn mowed.
Is it customary for real estate agents to mow the lawns of listed houses in your area?

Old 08-20-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Is it customary for real estate agents to mow the lawns of listed houses in your area?
Yes, I would say so considering it's an empty house selling for over $300K.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:09 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,420,266 times
Quote:
Yes, I would say so considering it's an empty house selling for over $300K.
Interesting. In my area, owners usually take care of the mowing--whether or not the house is vacant. (But an agent should certainly prod the owner to have the lawn mowed.)

Old 08-20-2016, 09:39 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
If an owner is not handling something as basic as mowing grass, it makes people wonder what other maintenance is being ignored.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:54 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
I'm not about to mow someone's yard for them but I wouldn't hold an open house at a property that showed poorly, either. To each his/her own, I guess.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:01 AM

So back to the original questions: when in your opinion does a listing get stale? And what is the typical pattern for price reductions?

Old 08-20-2016, 10:10 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
So back to the original questions: when in your opinion does a listing get stale? And what is the typical pattern for price reductions?
I'm not a realtor, but as a consumer, these are my thoughts.

If it's owned by the bank (and I have a funny feeling this house is), it's stale before it hits the market.

It it's TRULY a seller's market and the house is price properly, it's stale after 4 weeks.

If it's TRULY a seller's market and the house is priced too high, it's stale the day it hits the market.

Personally, I hear this term "seller's market" and think BS more and more often these days. Didn't I just hear something on the news about the US having a lower percentage of homeowner's now than at any other time?

Old 08-20-2016, 10:26 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Personally, I hear this term "seller's market" and think BS more and more often these days. Didn't I just hear something on the news about the US having a lower percentage of homeowner's now than at any other time?
The percentage of home owners is a tiny bit lower now, but the absolute number of individuals looking for houses to buy is at an all time high. That is why there is so much residential building going on in much of the country. Houses are proportionally more expensive than 10 yrs ago, prompting many homes to become rentals for people who do not have a down payment saved yet or who have not settled into their optimum place in the job market. If you live in an area with a decent job market and moderate weather or attractive amenities you would know that many areas have more potential buyers than sellers, i.e. a seller's market.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:33 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
I hate how the term seller's market gets slapped on indiscriminately. They call it a seller's market where I am and circulate glowing reports of houses with multiple offers selling in a few weeks or even a few days.

But but but...look closer, and it becomes apparent that the fast saies are for houses in the bottom third of the price range of those on the market. Other houses sit longer.

Another factor I noticed is that a few speculator/developers buy small, old houses with multiparcel yards, chop off most of the lot, further subdivide the houseless lots, and develop those for individual sale. So the old, lower-priced homesteads show up as closed sales when they are not being bought by people who intend to make it their longterm residence. Those are still sales, of course, but it makes the market look "hot" when reality differs. This is not like a Seattle, or a SF, or a Denver, or a Boston, where career employment prospects are broad and deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate