Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 09:58 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times

Advertisements

I am planning to relocate to another state within 5 years (probably closer to 3). I can currently afford to pay cash for the lot. My plan is to buy the modular in a few years. I'd probably need to take out a small loan for the modular itself. Can I even get a loan for a modular home?

I need help researching. Does anyone know of where to start with this? How do you research modular home builders?

Do some places prohibit modular homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 01:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Depends on situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I am planning to relocate to another state within 5 years (probably closer to 3). I can currently afford to pay cash for the lot. My plan is to buy the modular in a few years. I'd probably need to take out a small loan for the modular itself. Can I even get a loan for a modular home?

I need help researching. Does anyone know of where to start with this? How do you research modular home builders?

Do some places prohibit modular homes?
In parts of the country where the building season is shorter that tends to encourage folks to consider modular, it really can be much faster. All the major modular housing firms have adopted standards that allows them to meet the national building codes so there are really no valid reasons for localities to oppose modular homes, there are some "modern high style" options that really look like very artistic custom homes and others that use very traditional forms that would fit into historic Cape Cod type neighborhoods.

The bigger firms will either finance the home directly or partner with a lender that gives a traditional loan, relatively easy to determine what your total cost of the home as well as delivery / site prep is going to cost...

Not sure if you are saying you want to get rolling on a plan that won't happen for 3-5 years or whether you are just asking so that when the time comes you have all ducks in a row but either way the key is going to be staying realistic about what sorts of costs are involved -- it is not really the "bargain" way to go, but is the best option for SPEED especially in areas that are not served by hordes of local carpenters and such. The firms that are most respected in the modular industry understand that getting a site ready is a specialized skill and they tailor the whole process to go smoothly -- Price Breakdown For Modular Homes

Old 08-22-2016, 02:16 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In parts of the country where the building season is shorter that tends to encourage folks to consider modular, it really can be much faster. All the major modular housing firms have adopted standards that allows them to meet the national building codes so there are really no valid reasons for localities to oppose modular homes, there are some "modern high style" options that really look like very artistic custom homes and others that use very traditional forms that would fit into historic Cape Cod type neighborhoods.

The bigger firms will either finance the home directly or partner with a lender that gives a traditional loan, relatively easy to determine what your total cost of the home as well as delivery / site prep is going to cost...

Not sure if you are saying you want to get rolling on a plan that won't happen for 3-5 years or whether you are just asking so that when the time comes you have all ducks in a row but either way the key is going to be staying realistic about what sorts of costs are involved -- it is not really the "bargain" way to go, but is the best option for SPEED especially in areas that are not served by hordes of local carpenters and such. The firms that are most respected in the modular industry understand that getting a site ready is a specialized skill and they tailor the whole process to go smoothly -- Price Breakdown For Modular Homes
Thank you--that link is very helpful. I have found a parcel of land that I really like, so am planning to buy that first and then the house within the next year or so. Obviously before I buy I need to do alot of research.

I was thinking it would be cheaper b/c I would not be subject to as many weather-related delays. Since I won't be living there initially, I need something to go incredibly smooth and that won't require me to make a million decisions. The thought of having a plan to choose and then letting them just take care of it really appeals to me.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:44 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Recently I inquired about purchasing a 90-acre parcel of land about an hour's drive from the city. I was told that a mortgage would be more likely if I simultaneously purchased a modular or prefab home to put on that land, thus improving it. Banks seem to be more comfortable with an improved property. I would think that would apply as well to purchasing a home for a piece of land that you already own. It represents an improvement on the property and thus is more marketable, should the bank be stuck with it in a foreclosure. Of course, it probably also depends on your other liquid assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate