Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:58 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,201,030 times

Advertisements

Hope this is the right forum to post this...

I would like to know your thoughts on whether to go with a 1% or a 2% deductible on a homeowners policy? I am seeing across the board huge homeowner's insurance increases right now there is a huge jump between 1 and 2 percent deductible rates.

With my current insurance it would be a 38% hike in my annual policy rate to go from 2% to 1% deductible for All Peril and Hail & Windstorm.

Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 12:10 PM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times
You set the deductible at the HIGHEST amount that allows you to sleep at night.

This is usually a function of how much CASH you have saved/available.
Few have enough saved.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:16 PM

14,550 posts, read 12,192,089 times
Are you likely to have the cash available to cover the difference if you need to make a claim?

That's the answer.

The benefit of higher deductibles is lower premiums. The best value is to choose the highest deductible you can afford to pay in an emergency.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:46 PM

I could pay the deductible for, say a new roof. But it would hurt. Would take probably 1/3 of my saving earmarked for such events. Yeah, that would hurt. Paying the difference of 2 to 1 percent on my policy - it would take 6 years of payments to make up the difference in policy cost. Maybe should just bite the bullet and do it.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:29 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,854,805 times
Are you referring to a deductible of 1-2-percent of the overall value of the home or a 1-2-percent increase in insurance premium cost or ??

In Florida, the insurance companies attach a 2-3-percent hurricane deductible. This means that a $500K house is subject to a $10-$15K up-front, per-storm deductible before coverage kicks in (or with a $50M condo, a $1.5M deductible). This is in addition to the regular policy deductible. Unless one suffers a catastrophic storm loss, one is pretty much self-insured.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Are you referring to a deductible of 1-2-percent of the overall value of the home or a 1-2-percent increase in insurance premium cost or ??

In Florida, the insurance companies attach a 2-3-percent hurricane deductible. This means that a $500K house is subject to a $10-$15K up-front, per-storm deductible before coverage kicks in (or with a $50M condo, a $1.5M deductible). This is in addition to the regular policy deductible. Unless one suffers a catastrophic storm loss, one is pretty much self-insured.
That's a my percent deductible of dwelling value.

I just got a couple of quotes from A-rated companies, better coverage, 1% deductible, for only 13% increase over my current policy that had 2% deductible. Even their quotes for a 2% deductible were much lower than my current policy.

I've been with this insurance company for many years and had no claims on homeowners or auto. I don't see why I should continue with them when they jack up policy prices out of nowhere for no reason that pertains to me personally. So much for customer loyalty.

I chaps me to have to even look into changing insurance because I feel like it's a losing game. But changing companies and lowering the deductible with let me sleep better.... for a while.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:31 PM

347 posts, read 428,457 times
I went with an insurance company that had a flat deductible for everything. Because using the 1% or 2% formula that so many insurance companies tend to use equals the cost of a new roof for me, which for me is going to be the most likely thing I'd make a claim on. So I'd rather have a flat deductible. And the premium for a flat deductible was about the same as many companies that charged a 2% deductible.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,881,046 times
I live in TX where the risk of hail is high and tornadoes moderate. I took 1% on the roof and 2% on everything else. Not sure if this is an option to you. I also added earthquakes as it is fairly cheap but the risk is rising due to fracking.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
I went with an insurance company that had a flat deductible for everything. Because using the 1% or 2% formula that so many insurance companies tend to use equals the cost of a new roof for me, which for me is going to be the most likely thing I'd make a claim on. So I'd rather have a flat deductible. And the premium for a flat deductible was about the same as many companies that charged a 2% deductible.
Insurance companies for Texas now do percentage deductibles. All companies did away with the "flat deductible". I used to have that years ago - it was either 500 or 1,000. When I got a new roof, it worked out that I didn't pay anything because the roofing company gave me a discount equal to my deductible. Those days are gone. 1% is the best you can do in this state now.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I live in TX where the risk of hail is high and tornadoes moderate. I took 1% on the roof and 2% on everything else. Not sure if this is an option to you. I also added earthquakes as it is fairly cheap but the risk is rising due to fracking.
I'm using an insurance agent and have gotten quotes for 2% hail/1% all other peril; $2% hail/2% other peril; %1 hail/1% other peril. None of the 3 companies would do a smaller hail deduct. than other peril. But I'm still taking quotes. I agree that the percentages you have are optimal.

Do you mind if I ask you which company you are with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate