Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 02:46 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

Several times houses I've liked and was considering (just a day or two) to make an offer on, got an offer before I decided. (Yes, I know...you snooze, you lose.) Agents have asked if I want to do a backup offer. So far, I've declined. I don't see the point. That would tie me up, in case I want to buy another house that comes on the market. Agents say...you'll be first in line to get the house, though, should the deal fall through. But in my mind, the buyer knowing there's a backup offer would push him all the more to complete the deal. Say, if the buyer was having remorse and thinking of backing out because of inspection results or whatever. Human nature being what it is, people seem to want something all the more, if they know someone else wants it. Also, the buyer would know that he couldn't push the seller more on details like repairs, since he knows the seller has that backup offer.

I was thinking it would be better to pounce, should the deal cave. From a buyer's perspective. I totally get why it's great for the seller.

As for the amount, I've read it's best to offer more than you were thinking. I don't see the point in that. I would just offer what I was going to offer to begin with. I won't know what the current buyer's offer is, so I can't base it on that.

Anyone have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 04:44 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Why would it tie you up? I have never done this, however our neighbors did. They had an offers on four houses when looking for that very reason.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:45 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
First of all, a Buyer may not know whether or not there is a backup offer. It does put the Seller in the better position of being able to be firm on negotiations. So if a Buyer demands a reduction in price, based upon inspection results, a Seller may stay put realizing that a backup offer is in hand.

If you feel that a house is worthy of purchase, feel free to put in a backup offer. If you find another house in the interim, you can simply rescind your offer. (There may be rare instances when you could be locked in for a certain time period, but don't get into a contract with any such provisions.)

Old 08-24-2016, 05:02 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
I reckon 90% of "backup" offers are because of contingency clauses in today's market. Contingency mainly being buyer needs to sell their own home or other financial matters.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:41 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Being the backup offer will allow a seller who is getting frustrated with delays or complications in the #1 offer a life boat. Your offer can enable the seller to bump the bad deal instead of sticking with it.

They can't do that if they don't know you're there. So that makes it better for you to go ahead and submit the backup offer in case #1 turns sour.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Why would it tie you up? I have never done this, however our neighbors did. They had an offers on four houses when looking for that very reason.
Oh...I thought it would. I think my agent isn't very good, if it doesn't tie me up. That's what I told her when she asked me, and she didn't disagree.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
First of all, a Buyer may not know whether or not there is a backup offer. It does put the Seller in the better position of being able to be firm on negotiations. So if a Buyer demands a reduction in price, based upon inspection results, a Seller may stay put realizing that a backup offer is in hand.

If you feel that a house is worthy of purchase, feel free to put in a backup offer. If you find another house in the interim, you can simply rescind your offer. (There may be rare instances when you could be locked in for a certain time period, but don't get into a contract with any such provisions.)
I see. I guess I don't understand this backup offer process. I thought I would be tied up with no way out for 30 days. My agent implied that. She said something like, "There's an option period of 10 days, and then buyer #1 would have until I think the end of the month to complete the process." I told her, "Well, I'm hoping to buy before then. I don't want to get tied up on hold." She then said something like, "Well, maybe we could word it so that....." (I forget the end of the sentence)

Thanks. I need to ask more questions about this process.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:15 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
It's all about how the contract is written. We have backup offer forms, and there is flexibility in terms. There are many ways to cancel, so buyers usually continue to look.

I had a buyer choose to do a backup and buyer #1 cancelled a week later. My buyer was thrilled to get the house.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:06 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I did a backup offer on the house I currently own. The No. 1 buyer was taking way too long to come to closing, and the sellers had already built another house. In the meantime, though, I still looked at other houses and even made an offer on another one. Fortunately, the sellers finally got a release from the No. 1 buyer after they blew through the closing date (!), and I went on to buy the house.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:45 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
I've known of two and three back ups. Sometimes a backup wants to get out of line so the next one moves up. #2 might want out so #3 becomes #2. I've seen #2 backup (that would be second after the primary contract) get the house.

Be sure to read your contract. Why did you think it was a major commitment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate