Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 12,310 times

Advertisements

We're making an offer on a home that has a sliding door that opens up to a five foot drop. There was previously a deck there but it was removed by the owner with the intent to replace it but the replacement never happened. Distressed seller, divorce, yada yada yada, no deck and an obvious safety hazard that will not pass FHA safety standards.

It's a hot market in the neighborhood. Seller has already stated home is as-is and won't add the deck so it's on us to deal with it. Our intent is to replace it when escrow closes but we're cash poor at the moment until our previous house sells. Plus we don't want to sink a lot of money into this in case something goes wrong with the sale.

We've thought of a few solutions but wanted to get some opinion on what is the cheapest solution. Cheapest in my mind, though I don't know if it would pass muster is to just attach a rail to the house outside the door to prevent it from being a safety hazard. Convert the door to a window? Does FHA care if we just stick a piece of plywood over it? Any ideas would help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 11:54 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
Can you post a picture?

Maybe buy/rent mobile home steps?

Old 08-26-2016, 11:59 AM

Last edited by jklapow; 08-26-2016 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: pic didn't show in original

Old 08-26-2016, 12:08 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I had a situation like that with a VA loan. Same safety issue, except it was on a 2nd floor. The kids joked about putting a trampoline outside so they could jump!

The appraiser allowed us to reverse the doorknobs and lock so the knobs were on the outside of the doors and the inside were no access deadbolts. That way it showed the doors couldn't be opened from the inside. You have a sliding door, so that's different... Could you put a couple of 2X4s on the exterior across the door that basically says "Stop!" because who is going to walk into boards??

Old 08-26-2016, 12:15 PM

My daughter also suggested the trampoline idea. Hmmm... Locking or barricading from the outside sounds like it could work. Thinking one of those bars that prevents it from sliding open. Mobile home steps also sound like a good idea (and I work for a mobile home manufacturer so i may be able to borrow some if I'm lucky).

BTW, it's the slider on the right that's the issue, the one on the left is fine. I just realized the slider on the right looks a little like a window because of the angle of the pic.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:18 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
I had a similar situation. See if they'll let you just put up a simple set of stairs rather than build a full-blown deck. That worked in my case, and cost about $300, mostly for materials. You can always rebuild it later when money is available.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
If you do steps, remember that you'll need to have a railing that is secured and can hold 250 lbs... You can't just prop it up and make it look functional. If you put a bar across, I would think it would need to be from the outside because anyone could remove it on the inside and still open the door. It's about not allowing someone inside to get out. It doesn't matter if someone outside can climb in.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:47 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I like the idea of a false balcony railing, attached to the house...

These (below) are fancy, a local welder or iron fence/balcony installer might be able to do something functional and cheap.

Blog - Balcony Store

Old 08-26-2016, 01:50 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I would not want to barricade the door because while the door might be considered a safety hazard now, it would be a life saver in a fire. I would not want to lock people in. Sprained ankles we can live with in a fire

Old 08-26-2016, 01:58 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
I don't see how this is a problem. I took the liberty of sending the pic to a DE FHA underwriter. Will have an actual Answer for you in a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate