Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:23 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,235 times

Advertisements

I think it's a very good idea.

Funny semi-related story: We bought a house a few years ago. Didn't know anybody in the community, or even the state, for that matter. Husband went to work, I was alone with 2 small kids and pregnant with the 3rd. I accidentally locked myself out of the house in 100 degree weather. I could see my cell phone sitting on the kitchen table through the window.

I had to get inside before the kids and I had heat stroke, but had no way of getting in contact with my husband. I decided I needed to meet the neighbors. Hoping that somebody would be home in the middle of the day, I started ringing doorbells. On the 3rd house we tried, a woman answered the door. I explained our predicament and asked if I could use her phone to call my husband, so he could let us in.

"Oh! I can do better than that! Here's a key to your house!" Apparently she had babysat for the previous owner's children.

Now, she turned out to be a great neighbor and totally trustworthy, but it's a good illustration that ANYBODY the previous owners knew could have a key to your home. Changing locks will always be on our list of things to do as soon as we move into a new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 08:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I think it's a very good idea.

Funny semi-related story: We bought a house a few years ago. Didn't know anybody in the community, or even the state, for that matter. Husband went to work, I was alone with 2 small kids and pregnant with the 3rd. I accidentally locked myself out of the house in 100 degree weather. I could see my cell phone sitting on the kitchen table through the window.

I had to get inside before the kids and I had heat stroke, but had no way of getting in contact with my husband. I decided I needed to meet the neighbors. Hoping that somebody would be home in the middle of the day, I started ringing doorbells. On the 3rd house we tried, a woman answered the door. I explained our predicament and asked if I could use her phone to call my husband, so he could let us in.

"Oh! I can do better than that! Here's a key to your house!" Apparently she had babysat for the previous owner's children.

Now, she turned out to be a great neighbor and totally trustworthy, but it's a good illustration that ANYBODY the previous owners knew could have a key to your home. Changing locks will always be on our list of things to do as soon as we move into a new home.
A good way not to be locked out is to hide a key somewhere outside if possible, especially if you have a shed that locks, you can put a combination lock on it and hide the key in there. That's what I did at my last place, I had a strong 4 digit lock to the shed, and then I hid a key inside should I ever need to get in.

My new shed has a key deadbolt lock, plus I put a word combination lock on it. I still haven't hidden a key, but I plan to hide the key to the shed outside somewhere and if it's found they still need the combo lock to get in, and then I'm going to hide a house key in there somewhere.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:34 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,257 times
You should WANT to do that!
Mae

Old 08-28-2016, 10:24 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Yes, it's a pretty common-sense precaution. You have NO idea how many copies of keys get made throughout an owner's lifetime - some neighbors probably has a copy of the key that was given at some point or another, or the key that a teenage daughter sneaked to a boyfriend, or the dog-sitter or the maid service -- whatever.

Plus, if you aren't happy with the quality of the lock, here's a chance to upgrade it.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:45 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I worried about that when we bought our house over 25 years ago, but we never changed those 100 year old locks. I guess we were lucky because we never had a problem and I just love those antique keys.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:46 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
A good way not to be locked out is to hide a key somewhere outside if possible, especially if you have a shed that locks, you can put a combination lock on it and hide the key in there. That's what I did at my last place, I had a strong 4 digit lock to the shed, and then I hid a key inside should I ever need to get in.

My new shed has a key deadbolt lock, plus I put a word combination lock on it. I still haven't hidden a key, but I plan to hide the key to the shed outside somewhere and if it's found they still need the combo lock to get in, and then I'm going to hide a house key in there somewhere.
Well...we don't live in the best of neighborhoods, and when we went away overnight, we came home to dirty fingerprints all over our window castings and door trim looking for that hidden key....so be very careful with that...

Old 08-29-2016, 07:52 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
If your toilet seat is a color that they no longer make, it's definitely time to change the entire toilet!

OP, we always have locks ready to go when we buy a new home, first thing we do after closing is go and change them all. We bought our first home as a foreclosure and had heard a lot of stories about people coming in and emptying all the appliances and pipes out of the places at the very last second. Our last home was new construction and had been 'broken into' a few weeks before closing. There was no sign of forced entry so I knew there were people with keys floating around.
Was your new construction home "broken into" or just left unlocked by one of the trades? There is lots of new construction near us and fairly often you can get into under construction houses as doors are unlocked. Many times it is encouraged as the new home "models" are left open on purpose for perspective buyers to stop by and look (typically nothing in those homes though that isn't screwed down). I did notice that after the housing crash, security on new home community homes tightened up quite a bit.

Also, the last new construction home I purchased, the builder claimed the locks had a master key system, where the key they used was a master key, then once you purchased the house, you received your keys and the first time you used them, your keys disabled the master key they had been using.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:31 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I changed all my locks the day after closing.

#1) security reasons

#2) Previous owners had so many locks and keys it was confusing. 4 different exterior doors, and 2 different keys for top and bottom locks!

Wasn't cheap, but now 1 key operates all 8 lockable locks.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:37 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Was your new construction home "broken into" or just left unlocked by one of the trades? There is lots of new construction near us and fairly often you can get into under construction houses as doors are unlocked. Many times it is encouraged as the new home "models" are left open on purpose for perspective buyers to stop by and look (typically nothing in those homes though that isn't screwed down). I did notice that after the housing crash, security on new home community homes tightened up quite a bit.

Also, the last new construction home I purchased, the builder claimed the locks had a master key system, where the key they used was a master key, then once you purchased the house, you received your keys and the first time you used them, your keys disabled the master key they had been using.
My builder gave me a copy of the master key during construction (because I went over so often to check progress it was easier than finding someone to meet me with the key every time) but they did change out the cylinders once the construction process was completed and that key no longer works on my house, and presumably not on my neighbors either.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:26 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

I'm going to get a lockbox and keep a spare set of keys there. I'm always thinking about locking myself out. What a nightmare that would be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate