Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 03:37 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I love mine, too. Mine are keypad deadbolts like this. I decided (since I love them so much) to put one on each of my four exterior doors, and had that done ASAP after moving into my house thirteen months ago. All four have the same combination.

It's probably very unlikely that the batteries for all four would go dead simultaneously on a day when I didn't have my key with me. Even less likely since I replace the batteries every January 1st.

They are so easy to use when my hands are full, and it's nice to be able to go for a walk without taking a key with me. I love keypad deadbolts.
Are they easy to put in over the existing area the regular deadbolt was in or do you have to prep the area more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 04:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Are they easy to put in over the existing area the regular deadbolt was in or do you have to prep the area more?

If you have an existing deadbolt the prepping has already been done, if your house is newer. If you have a Weiser (no longer made), Kwikset or Schlage deadbolt all you do is remove the old and install the new. My house has Schlage locks, so I went with a Schlage keypad deadbolt. It was about a 10 minute install. I didn't even have to remove the bolt, as they are all the same in the Schlage line.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If you have an existing deadbolt the prepping has already been done, if your house is newer. If you have a Weiser (no longer made), Kwikset or Schlage deadbolt all you do is remove the old and install the new. My house has Schlage locks, so I went with a Schlage keypad deadbolt. It was about a 10 minute install. I didn't even have to remove the bolt, as they are all the same in the Schlage line.
Right, that is correct. My house probably did not have Schlage locks (I don't remember) but I ordered the Schlage keypad deadbolts. My handyman spent a few minutes working on the doors to prepare them and then installed the deadbolts. It was not a big deal, for him anyway.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:06 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
We changed all locks, the toilet seats, the garage door opener code and the alarm system password (since the previous owners just had us take over their account).

Old 09-01-2016, 01:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalia View Post
Hi,

This may be a dumb question. But I thought I will ask anyway.
After reading this //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ll-your-3.html
Would you be changing your key/locks after buying a home?

Is there a risk there that others can have keys to the place?
Why chance it?

Change the locks. I did.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:10 PM

525 posts, read 660,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
We changed all locks, the toilet seats, the garage door opener code and the alarm system password (since the previous owners just had us take over their account).
Did these same things. It's just new (to you) home maintenance. Like changing the air filters.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Of course there is a chance. The former owner could have given a key to a neighbor or relative. With a lock box on the front door, you don't know who had access. If you have work done when you close, and use a lock box, the contractors would have had opportunity to make a copy of the key.

That said, I always meant to get the locks changed, and ended up procrastinating. I always do it eventually, but not the day I move in.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:50 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Change the toilet seats also.
You never stay in a hotel or use the bathroom at work, at a restaurant, or in any other public place?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:50 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You never stay in a hotel or use the bathroom at work, at a restaurant, or in any other public place?
For some of us, it's just so nice to have brand new, spotlessly clean toilet seats at home. But if it doesn't matter to you, then there's no reason to bother.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:27 PM

525 posts, read 660,711 times
Sure, I use public toilets, but I'm sure those are cleaned a lot more often than most home toilets (like probably 1x/day, how often do YOU clean your toilet?) And to be sure, you, your family, and guests are the only ones to use YOUR toilet, but the previous homeowners? I change the toilet seat. It's not expensive, assuming it's not some fancy custom job. I've done it in every house I've lived in, including rentals, on my own dime.

And changing locks? Some I did, when they were different keys, the rest I simply changed the cylinders. Well, I hired someone.

Also changed the garage door code. THAT I did myself (along with the TOILET SEAT).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate