Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM

54 posts, read 182,664 times

Advertisements

Ehhhh......I guess there really isn't a good time for it right now but we did it last Tuesday. My husband works in DC and is driving 2 1/2 hours to work right now so we decided to put our house on the market and see what happens so that we can find something a little closer to DC. Not too close because I work in Charlottesville, VA. Anyway, can you all look at our house and see what you think? I wish I had pictures of it when we bought it 2 years ago. Just to show how much better it is today. Think peach and lime green walls. Yup, that's the truth. We had to paint EVER single wall in the house.

Moderator cut: URL removed - no real estate websites here, please

I'm thinking that the pictures may be a little dark. What are your thoughts?
The house is priced below what it was appraised for and I can assure you it
was properly appraised as it was done during this hard market time.

Last edited by Marka; 02-23-2008 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Ok, here it goes.....

First, mistake to list at 298K. List at 300K so people searching realtor dot com at 300-350K can see your home...your excluding a whole pocket of potential buyers.

Family room- wrong direction to take picture...here's a tip: ALWAYS HAVE THE SUNLIGHT BEHIND YOU when you take a pic....its waay to dark. Also, can you get rid of the clock? kind of ugly IMO and doesn't fit...

Kitchen- too much "stuff" going on the counters, fridge, on top of fridge...also waay to dark...get rid of the "clutter"

Dining room- too much "stuff" on the left side of the shot

Bedroom- TOO DARK. It also looks like that bed is going to engulf me...step back and shoot again.

Baby room- very "sloppy" looking IMO. Will ya get rid of that cat's toy? No need for that in the shot. Also the tv wires are very sloppy hanging out like that.

Bathroom- blue tile...not my first choice and some buyers might be turned off by it.... Get rid of plug & soap dispensers

tub- more blue tile.....

the backyard pics are good, but I would show the shed w/the overall yard, not just by itself...

I'd give the shots a D from A to F.

You have some work to do. Hire a professional stager or get cracking......good luck

don't get me wrong, you have a nice home, just clean it up a bit.....

just my .02

Last edited by CouponJack; 02-22-2008 at 01:29 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 PM

13 posts, read 51,966 times
Default My opinion of the pics of your home

What a lovely home!! However, why do you have things blockings those beautiful windows you have? I would move stuff out of the way and partially open the blinds. Windows are a biggy when I'm shopping for a home and you have great curb appeal and a great home, I think for a great price.

I would also take newer pictures without all the stuff on the walls. That purple bedspread must go, along with the cat thingy. That one room looks very strange. I might just take that picture out all together and let people actually come into your home and see that room for themselves. It just doesn't snap well.

Don't get me wrong, I like the bedspread, it's just alot for the eyes to handle in that picture!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 01:28 PM

Thanks for your reply! Our realtor took all of the pictures and we wanted to give our input as far as lighting goes but we didn't want to "micromanage" her. We figured she is the "professional" so she should know what angles and lighting to use. I guess we were wrong. Kitchen clutter is gone, dining room clutter is gone, tile (not going there) I have no plans on pulling all the tile up so hopefully someone will look past it. All of your other suggestions are very good and I do appreciate your thoughts! I REALLY hope my realtor is offended when I ask her to come and take new pictures. Any one else wanna let me have it? The more advice the better!

Old 02-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesjontin View Post
What a lovely home!! However, why do you have things blockings those beautiful windows you have? I would move stuff out of the way and partially open the blinds. Windows are a biggy when I'm shopping for a home and you have great curb appeal and a great home, I think for a great price.

I would also take newer pictures without all the stuff on the walls. That purple bedspread must go, along with the cat thingy. That one room looks very strange. I might just take that picture out all together and let people actually come into your home and see that room for themselves. It just doesn't snap well.

Don't get me wrong, I like the bedspread, it's just alot for the eyes to handle in that picture!!!
LMAO!! You are so right about the bedspread! My daughter is going to throw a fit when I take it but she'll be alright. I think the pictures may be zoomed in too close too. The rooms are really big but the way she took the pictures they all look so small.

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdway View Post
Thanks for your reply! Our realtor took all of the pictures and we wanted to give our input as far as lighting goes but we didn't want to "micromanage" her. We figured she is the "professional" so she should know what angles and lighting to use. I guess we were wrong. Kitchen clutter is gone, dining room clutter is gone, tile (not going there) I have no plans on pulling all the tile up so hopefully someone will look past it. All of your other suggestions are very good and I do appreciate your thoughts! I REALLY hope my realtor is offended when I ask her to come and take new pictures. Any one else wanna let me have it? The more advice the better!
You have a good attitude. I figured you'd want to hear honest opinions...anything sugarcoated good or bad would "hurt" your chances of selling.....

good luck!

1,222 posts, read 4,604,187 times
Beautiful house

Old 02-22-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You have a good attitude. I figured you'd want to hear honest opinions...anything sugarcoated good or bad would "hurt" your chances of selling.....

good luck!

Yes, I want to hear all of the honest opinions that are possible. Anything to make the house look it's best. Well, I think it's beautiful but you know what I mean.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
Beautiful house
Thank you Millie!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdway View Post
I think the pictures may be zoomed in too close too. The rooms are really big but the way she took the pictures they all look so small.
I was actually wondering about that! Given the sq ft of the house, some of the amenities I saw in the photos and listed with this house, and the size of the yard, I was thinking a couple of those rooms at least looked tiny which didn't seem to fit with my overall impression of the house.

Consider getting a professional real estate photographer. My concern would be that if you have the same realtor do them again, the quality of the photos will not significantly improve - sure you can clear clutter and lighten up the place by opening a blind and take them again - but if the person behind the camera doesn't understand or know enough to take advantage of the bigger issues like proper lighting and angles then round two is still probably gong to suffer in one way or another.

Good Luck!

Last edited by jaindow; 02-22-2008 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate