Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times

Advertisements

HGTV has given us a sense of entitlement re: the quality of our decorating.

IMHO the location and over all value of the house are more important than updating some 70s decor. If the house is solid, in good condition, and will increase in value, no reason you can't live in it just as it is.

Maybe you can find a way to increase your income so that the price hike won't be so much of a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 01:17 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
If you love it that much, go for it.

I did the same thing years ago and for several years I had to live with a 1970s kitchen.

To make it easier, I did funky upgrades to the kitchen until I could tear it all out and remodel.

I painted all the kitchen cabinets candy apple red!

I would much rather have a funky house in the perfect location than a great house in a less than ideal location.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:17 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Just because the house is listed at $350k doesn't mean it will sell for $350k. You might be able to buy it without blowing your budget. It certainly wouldn't hurt to make an offer!

And if everything works, you don't NEED to update anything. You can live perfectly well in the house as it is, and update things later as you get the time and funds to do so. It's easier to live with a less-than-perfect house in a fabulous location than a fabulous house in a less-than-perfect location, so if the location is ideal I'd strongly encourage you to look past the 1970s decor.

ALL (and I mean ALL) houses are project houses! What do you call a house you bought brand new 10 years ago? Answer: dated.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer5girl View Post
My husband and I found the perfect house! The location is a gem. It is on a private driveway up a hill and the 3 acre property overlooks farm land. 12 minutes to his job, right near town, near the highway, A+ school district. Our max budget was 325 MOVE IN READY...this house is 350.

The house was built in the 70's...and the entire house has not been updated since the 70's! The appliances are from the 70's, the layout, the doors...everything!

If we could get the property for 325...it would take at least 5-10 years to be able to afford all the renovations and updates needed...even if we take it one project at a time...I feel like it would be a never ending project...

Is it worth it? What do you do in a situation like this? My gut is telling me no...but the property has exceeded our expectations! Thanks so much in advance for your wisdom and guidance!
In my opinion which only affects me is that this *perfect house* is not so perfect since you are planning the remodeling before you even make an offer.
Also, if the amount is too high then it is not perfect on another level.

Continue to look for a home that is in your budget range that is actually move in ready.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 PM

483 posts, read 624,814 times
Sounds like a great house for you. Just do the reno a little at a time.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
Personally if the location and area were perfect to me, I would jump on it. I can deal with a dated look inside - and that's something that can be changed with time as you live there. The location cannot. It looks like a lovely spot. I would go for it.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:28 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
It depends on your market. Is the house listed for a fair price?

I paid more for a perfect house that needed renovation, because it was a good deal. I could not find anything for less money that had even close to what I was looking for.

My budget was unrealistic not the hiuse

Old 09-20-2016, 02:26 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
What renovations does it need and what do you just WANT? From the sound of it, if you had the money you'd make it a tear down just for the location alone! If it would take you 5-10 years then either you're taking everything out down to the studs or you have very little money you can throw at it. Neither makes it "perfect". Are you really in that much of a hurry? Or is the house really in such bad shape as you're saying?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:30 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer5girl View Post
My husband and I found the perfect house! The location is a gem. It is on a private driveway up a hill and the 3 acre property overlooks farm land. 12 minutes to his job, right near town, near the highway, A+ school district. Our max budget was 325 MOVE IN READY...this house is 350.

The house was built in the 70's...and the entire house has not been updated since the 70's! The appliances are from the 70's, the layout, the doors...everything!

If we could get the property for 325...it would take at least 5-10 years to be able to afford all the renovations and updates needed...even if we take it one project at a time...I feel like it would be a never ending project...

Is it worth it? What do you do in a situation like this? My gut is telling me no...but the property has exceeded our expectations! Thanks so much in advance for your wisdom and guidance!
You answered your own question. "max budget was 325 MOVE IN READY...this house is 350."

If you buy this property it will add untold amounts of stress to your family and relationship, each and every project you will get a lump in your throat at how much it costs, and then during reno, you will find that thing behind the wall which throw your budget right out the window. Even if you get it at 325K, the house is not move-in ready and you don't have anymore money.

Keep saving if you cannot find a house for 325K, in a couple of years maybe you can save enough for a 350K or 400K

Old 09-20-2016, 02:32 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REvmhBO99I4

Looks like it is at least 25% over budget by the time you get it how you want it.
And, the 5-10 year horizon for getting there financially means a lot. What if something changes and you have to dump a half-renovated house? That will be very painful.

It is supposed to be your shelter, not an ongoing burden.
If you want to regret a purchase, buy a boat! Cheaper mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate