Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:54 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
My logic tells me the small house in the good location, but what if I feel just so claustrophic after moving in? What if I don't get used to that? Why does the house feel more cramped than my 1550 sf house I had? It's a beauty, but....

What would YOU do?
I'd look for something in the good location that is similar to the 1550 sf house that you had. Also, you mentioned that this will be your retirement home. So, I'd suggest looking for an easy care yard unless you plan to hire people to help you with that, as you grow older, or unless you want to completely re-landscape the yard (which was what I did, but it can be expensive).

Remember that if this is to be your retirement home, there is no rush. Don't "settle" for a home you don't really want, like the 1900 sf home that makes you feel claustrophobic.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 02:48 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I think you should keep looking. That is what I would do. I'm fine with a smaller home. I'd encourage you to think about size unless you want to hire a maid service as you get older. If a maid isn't in your retirement budget, go with a smaller home.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:15 PM

162 posts, read 199,070 times
This might sound stupid but I've found it works;
Flip a coin. Heads is small house, tails is burbs. When flipping it you'll find yourself hoping it lands on a certain side....that's your answer

Old 09-25-2016, 08:40 PM

162 posts, read 199,070 times
Nevermind, I was just told my suggestion was stupid after all.
Do what feels right to you, you've received some otherwise great advice

Old 09-25-2016, 08:47 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmweeza View Post
This might sound stupid but I've found it works;
Flip a coin. Heads is small house, tails is burbs. When flipping it you'll find yourself hoping it lands on a certain side....that's your answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmweeza View Post
Nevermind, I was just told my suggestion was stupid after all.
Do what feels right to you, you've received some otherwise great advice

There is a grain of truth in that flipping a coin thing.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:28 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Thanks to all for your opinions. I did not put a contract on either. The small house has gone under contract, but my agent says they'll take my cash offer over the other one, which is contingency, depending on what the offer price is.

I don't need to look further in the city, I think. I'm convinced that the small house in the good location is the best I'm going to find in a good location. I have found it, and that is it.

In the meantime, a house in a neighboring city came on the market, so I went to view it. I like it a lot. It's a rarity in that city: a one story on a decent sized lot (the back yard is a smidgeon larger than the one for the 1900 sf house). I'm waiting on the seller doing a disclosure so I can see some history on the house...prior foundation repairs, roof age, etc. I've never known, thru all my house hunting these last few months, any seller not having the disclosure up on the MLS site immediately (the houses are selling really fast in the area), so I'm thinking there might be something not great in the disclosure, the seller hoping to get an offer first. I'll see.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
I would also wait until you find the right house unless you're in a rush where you have to buy now. One thing to keep in mind is depending on the price of the house you can always knock a wall down. Would that have made the 1900sf one feel better? Just food for thought. Don't be afraid of a smaller reno like that.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

My logic tells me the small house in the good location, but what if I feel just so claustrophic after moving in? What if I don't get used to that? Why does the house feel more cramped than my 1550 sf house I had? It's a beauty, but....

What would YOU do?
Claustrophobic with nearly 2,000 SF for a retirement home? Are you kidding? How many besides you will be living in the new house?

(No. 1 is a no-brainer imho)

Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I would also wait until you find the right house unless you're in a rush where you have to buy now. One thing to keep in mind is depending on the price of the house you can always knock a wall down. Would that have made the 1900sf one feel better? Just food for thought. Don't be afraid of a smaller reno like that.
Yes. It's the design. I'm not sure the whole design can be fixed, but probably one or two things could be done that would make it a better use of space and allow it to feel roomier. But there's the cost. It's a bit pricey, since it's in a good location.

I don't think there's any point in looking further in this city. I've gotten the lay of the land, and this is as good as it gets here. Which was why I succumbed and looked in that rural burb.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Claustrophobic with nearly 2,000 SF for a retirement home? Are you kidding? How many besides you will be living in the new house?

(No. 1 is a no-brainer imho)
Me and two dogs. And yes...it's claustrophic. It's actually 1886 sf (the description lied...I measured it from the old survey). It's not a good design. Lots of built-ins and walls and halls and walk paths through the LR (making that room have less usable space). Tiny tiny kitchen...like an efficiency apartment.

The secondary bedrooms are on the small side, and so are their closets. I can't figure out where the space is...except that the master bath is on the large side for the sf of the house. And there is a half bath by the back door which is useless in a small house (you're never far from the other 2 bathrooms) and should have been used for something else. The interior dividing walls may be a bit thick. I'm not sure.

It's a cute house though.

One or two of the built-ins have to be removed. Not a good idea to have sticking-out built-ins in a small house, where every foot matters. You have to be able to move everything, and no built-in should stick out; they should go IN so as not to take up room. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate