Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 03:32 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You assume incorrectly.

Owners own the property - exclusive use of their own unit (including parking if assigned, balcony, etc) and an undivided interest in the rest of the property. The manager owns nothing, they are hired by the owners/board to manage the property on behalf of the owners. It's not like common space in a rental building.

In other words, an owner of the property was telling you not to walk your dog there, which they have the authority to do. Stop it.
Renters still have a right to use the common property within that condo complex. I know in my complex, the condo board has to approve any/all renters before they come on and there's no real distinction between who can walk their dogs in the common areas. About 1/4 of the people in my complex are renters, but I couldn't tell you who is a renter and who is an owner. I have a space behind my house where people walk their dogs all the time and it isn't the official "dog walk area" but I'm not going to say anything to people about it.

The part we don't know is if he's in his complex or in another one. If he's in another one, he doesn't have any right to walk there at all because he's not part of that community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 04:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I am in an end unit TH and people always used common area to access my property and then exit the subdivision. Everyone used it as a shortcut, dogs, kids, bikes, sketchy people in the middle of the night. I was at my wit's end. I have a dog and other dog's waste deposited and not collected on property not belonging to you is one of the greatest signs of lack of respect for your neighbors. I fixed my problem (after obtaining HOA permission) and planted acrow of roses on common area, blocking access. Simple and elegant solution. Just this morning I watched a group that had to turn around and go another way (besides my yard) with their stroller and bike.
Good for you.

Good for your complex.

Whenever we had people walk though or drive though our condo complex, on our private road, I sometimes wondered if they were "just casing" the area for future robberies. There was absolutely no reason to be on our private road unless you were visiting a resident as it was not a short cut to anywhere.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Renters still have a right to use the common property within that condo complex. I know in my complex, the condo board has to approve any/all renters before they come on and there's no real distinction between who can walk their dogs in the common areas. About 1/4 of the people in my complex are renters, but I couldn't tell you who is a renter and who is an owner. I have a space behind my house where people walk their dogs all the time and it isn't the official "dog walk area" but I'm not going to say anything to people about it.

The part we don't know is if he's in his complex or in another one. If he's in another one, he doesn't have any right to walk there at all because he's not part of that community.
He's not a renter there. His post said he was walking through a different complex and then claiming that a unit owner didn't have the right to tell him not to walk his dog on that complex's property because he thinks the management company owns the property instead of the owners

Old 09-25-2016, 09:47 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
He's not a renter there. His post said he was walking through a different complex and then claiming that a unit owner didn't have the right to tell him not to walk his dog on that complex's property because he thinks the management company owns the property instead of the owners
Thanks for straightening this out. I couldn't make heads nor tails of it the first go round.

HOA property belongs to the folks who own property in that HOA.

Others believe they are free to wander through, walk their dogs, let their kids play on the property... Even when it is clearly marked as HOA property, it makes no difference. They regard HOA property as public parks.

They are not. Think of them as shared yards. Which they are.

I would encourage the OP to walk the dog on the grounds of the complex in which he/she lives or on public property, but avoid walking on the grounds that other people own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate