Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:55 PM

104 posts, read 290,407 times

Advertisements

dug up this old post. any updated thoughts/responses?
we have a large beautifully furnished home. we will be downsizing into a brand new smaller home. we will not be taking anything with us except maybe 1 couch and dinette set for the new basement and our grand piano that is now in it's own conservatory/room. we have have online photos and video tour as per our realtor, showing all the room furnished. all of our rooms are painted neutrally with crown moldings, chair rails, picture moldings, recessed lights, hardwood floors. all the draperies, window coverings, and light fixtures will stay. we hired an estate tag sale company to run the sale of furniture and knick knacks. not sure how that works other than they say can sell everything and they work off of flat commission. the new house will be ready to move in before the estate sale. our house is not sold yet, still getting showings even thru the holidays, but no contract yet. Just wondering if i should push off the tag sale until after we have a contract. our home listing doesn't expire until May, strong Spring market, but we will be able to live in our new house full time before than. the two houses are about 15 miles apart.
Please let me know of experiences on estate tag sales, an about furnished vs unfurnished house for sale.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 01:21 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Two types of people

Quote:
Originally Posted by luluwas View Post
furnished vs unfurnished house for sale.
Some people want to see how furniture fits.
Some people want to see it empty.

I say go for the staged look using your own furniture.
This means removing about 2/3 of the stuff in the house.
It won't look normal and it is not supposed to.
Hire a staging expert for a few hundred dollars.
You may even want to spend some ($200 or less) on some staging items. For example, when we sold my father-in-law's house, we put a red-checkered, Italian restaurant style table cloth on a table with plastic bread and a Chianti bottle. It helped sell the house according to the buyer.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:41 PM

27 posts, read 38,186 times
I always prefer to see an empty house. I have unusual taste in furniture, so seeing the home staged with boring modern furniture gives the whole house a boring modern feel. No matter what the buyer's taste is, I think that seeing a house staged with furniture they find unappealing can give the house a more unappealing atmosphere. Leaving it empty allows me to more easily imagine where I would put my own furniture, and that gives me a little extra emotional investment in considering the house seriously.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:12 PM

896 posts, read 1,139,845 times
IMO, for a SELLER, always better furnished.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:59 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Empty. I don't want to see someone's poor taste.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:13 PM

106 posts, read 229,491 times
I prefer an empty house over cluttered. A staged home can be great, but I prefer empty. But, that said, I ended up buying a lived in home that was owned by an interior decorator. I wanted all of the furnishings to stay! LOL

Old 12-27-2013, 04:45 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
I think you at least need to leave furniture until the pictures are taken. Even if you have furniture that has seen better days, it wont necessarily show up that way in the pics as long as you remove all the clutter and make sure your house is spotlessly clean.

Empty rooms tend to look smaller. Same if they are stuffed with furniture.

Clean with spare furnishings and minimal decorating touches/art imo. Let your homes good features shine through......wood floors without rugs covering them, window mouldings without heavy drapes obscuring them and light, etc.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Empty.

I want to see the walls, the floors, the radiators.........anything which can be hidden by furniture and furnishings.

And your home will SMELL better too!

Old 12-28-2013, 07:46 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
In my last sale our house was empty as we had moved on. Our buyers said they were impressed that they could look in every nook and cranny. They loved how clean the place was and it what great condition it was in. Being empty helped sell them.

We had had a top to bottom professional cleaning done. Also had paint work touched up and carpets cleaned. Realtor made sure the place stayed spotless. I visited every week or so.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:49 PM

122 posts, read 306,443 times
I was empty when selling and brought in a stager. I had her stuff in for 1 week and decided to yank it. Why? It was unbelievably cheap. The beds were actually air mattresses that weren't holding their air. I found her accessories tacky (like a basket of giant plastic pears on the ledge of the kitchen window), but I would have been ok with them since I assume the stager knows more about neutral design than I do. However, the accessories were also cheap, all looked like they came from a dollar store. The tacky pears I mentioned above had obviously been dropped and were dented all over. A giant platter that had a visible crack was set on top of an IKEA dining table that looked like a toddler had gone to town on it with a key. After a week, I decided it wasn't the message I wanted to send to the buyers.

I'd rather show empty than fill the house with cheap and damaged furnishings. Just one more thing that will distract the buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate